Twitter: KC: Dak must reach playoffs consistently if he's paid premium QB money

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That wasn't done this year and it's not 40, as you know. You said this year, which is 2021. We don't know what contracts are going to look like this year because we haven't seen one yet.

You said, this could be his last contract, I thought?

I think the opinion you voice here is inaccurate. Fans think that any contract can be done. I don't agree with that. The money does run out and I just don't think the team has 40 AAY to spend on QB. That's just my opinion.
This is still the 2020 season . I certainly still consider it this year or season.

I meant this could be his last big contract. And these Qb have to think as such. It doesn’t mean they don’t think they’ll be playing later on. Your reading too much into it.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
You pay a quarterback premium money when he can run an efficient offense without top notch talent. He still needs a competent defense to make the playoffs consistently. See Romo, Tony.

A lot of people point to the period between Dez and Amari as evidence of Dak’s inadequacy, but he’s improved since then.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You pay a quarterback premium money when he can run an efficient offense without top notch talent. He still need a competent defense to make the playoffs consistently. See Romo, Tony.

A lot of people point to the period between Dez and Amari as evidence of Dak’s inadequacy, but he’s improved since then.
Is there a quarterback out there that doesn't need a good defense though?

Flamma

Reaction score
It's been 15 seasons since Tony Romo started back in 2006. Dak has started since 2016. We've only had 3 years where we could say we're competing for a championship. That's '07, '14, and '16. I don't care about the other playoff appearances where we were like the Browns or Bears of this year. I'm talking about being a legit contender. Our problems go beyond quarterback. And Dak, whether we pay him or not, he could play free of charge and we'll still be floundering in mediocrity.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I heard this on my lunch break.. Good stuff.

Some facts.

Green Bay has made the playoffs 8 of last 10 years. The only 2 they didn't make it were McCarthy's final 2 seasons..

New Orleans has made it the last 4 years and 6 out of the last 10.

Seattle has only missed the playoffs 1 time with Russell Wilson.

Tom Brady has made the playoffs 10 out of the last 10 years. It's been awhile until since Tampa has been to the playoffs

Mahomes has went 3 years in a row.

This is why you pay the elite guys and let the not so elites walk if they want elite money.

Why didn't you adamantly argue and say the very same thing against your beloved OVERPAID TWICE Romo?

Don't be a hypocrite. It is not a good look.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

Some facts.

Green Bay has made the playoffs 8 of last 10 years. The only 2 they didn't make it were McCarthy's final 2 seasons..

Tom Brady has made the playoffs 10 out of the last 10 years. It's been awhile until since Tampa has been to the playoffs

This is why you pay the elite guys and let the not so elites walk if they want elite money.

Everyone of those teams have better defenses than ours. I don’t even think Mahomes as our QB could overcome our defense. He couldn’t overcome his own defense a couple of years ago in the playoffs.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The Cowboys are never going to consistently make the playoffs until they fix the defense and it doesn’t matter who the QB is. No QB is going to be able to overcome the Keystone Cops we have on defense. All we saw this season was receivers running free and getting gashed on the ground. Every year we have trouble stopping the run.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Dak has made the playoffs 2 out of 5 years. Romo made the playoffs 4 out of 10 years. Both 40%. Not good, but not sure you can put it all on the QB.

kskboys

Reaction score
The Cowboys are never going to consistently make the playoffs until they fix the defense and it doesn’t matter who the QB is. No QB is going to be able to overcome the Keystone Cops we have on defense. All we saw this season was receivers running free and getting gashed on the ground. Every year we have trouble stopping the run.
Over and over and over again.
Add a CB and LB and it's the same ol' thing.

Hadenough

Reaction score
The market actually drives it more than the QB’s status.

And how a QB like Stafford a few years ago and or even a Ryan a couple years ago were the top paid QB in a particular season. I’d even argue last year that Wilson being the top paid didn’t define him as the best in the league.

Those contracts don’t define Elite status. And they don’t remain top paid in the league long. It changes almost every year.

And why we shouldn’t be alarmed if Dak receives a contract this year that makes him one of the top paid This season as it’s more than likely to change next year. And again and again. Year after year.

And why these big contracts define more of a “ Franchise QB” than “ Elite QB” while they can be one in the same like we see with Mahomes currently.

But I assure you and others who I’m speaking to since you obviously get it is there will be contracts in the coming years which will surpass Mahomes while their talent level or Elite status won’t. That’s simply part of how the market drives these contracts from year to year and why these guys attempt to get all they can.
I dont blame these guys for getting as much as they can and yes Dak would fall into a catagory of a franchise QB. Would fans here be happy if Dallas traded for Kirk Cousins and paid him 35 mil a year. Thats basically what your getting. The thing about paying the QB is if you use the term franchise QB its such a black and white term that it erases the idea that the better a player is the more he should make.

Loso86

Reaction score

Some facts.

Just like the Wentz's end Goff's and so on who they claimed was better than Dak