Keep Dalton?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I’d say yes, but ONLY if it’s cheap and easy.

“Watch the zany antics of ‘Gilbert & The Nooch’, tonight at 8, on CBS!”
at minimum veteran salary maybe.....is there any upside to keeping him? he showed he can't get the job done, so I doubt if he is the type of QB that can keep things going or keep the team competitive if Dak is out for any extended period again. I would rather go after someone, even a rookie with some upside.

J-man

Reaction score
I would certainly try to. But teams like Chi, Den, NE or Car could easily try to sigh him as their 1 year starter so I hope he gives us the home town discount.

Praxit

Reaction score
..I liked what I saw from Gilbert. I say go with him, the guy might be a gem in the rough. Dalton is avg Joe with big wallet.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Gilbert Garrett is plenty of good enough to be Dak's backup while the Cowboys see if DiNucci is worth developing or not AND the Cowboys could possibly draft another QB during the late rounds. Andy Dalton wants to start again. He going to use this past season to help him find a team to start for. That should net us a decently good compensation draft pick.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I feel like Garrett Gilbert will be the one to serve as Dak's backup in 2021. Andy Dalton has made it clear that he wants to be a starter. The compensation pick that we'll net for Dalton could easily be used to provide a sorely needed defensive player.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I feel like Garrett Gilbert will be the one to serve as Dak's backup in 2021. Andy Dalton has made it clear that he wants to be a starter. The compensation pick that we'll net for Dalton could easily be used to provide a sorely needed defensive player.
Depending upon our own free agent signings, we may not get anything for him.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd say no because he was awful against the Giants.
And he was outstanding against the Eagles. If cherry picking one game, how do you choose? Besides, we are talking about Dalton as a back up, not the starter.

I think it's pretty much a no brainer that the team would like to have him back, but it's probably doubtful that the price would be right for that.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That’s why I wanted to start him at the end of the season
I would not have played dalton myself
It was obvious to me we didn’t have a legit playoff team so why not develop a cheap backup, or atleast see if he was capable
I agree the Cowboys weren't going to be a legitimate playoff team, but I think the NFL would have frowned heavily on the team not giving its best shot while still in the playoff hunt, and there may have been repercussions .

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
..I liked what I saw from Gilbert. I say go with him, the guy might be a gem in the rough. Dalton is avg Joe with big wallet.

Gilbert will be 30 by the time the season starts. He is not a "gem in the rough", he's just rough.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Guys, what is it with this, development stuff? Gilbert is not young. This guy is only like 3 years younger then Dalton. He is not who you want to be spending resources on to develop.

Stop this already, please.....

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Guys, what is it with this, development stuff? Gilbert is not young. This guy is only like 3 years younger then Dalton. He is not who you want to be spending resources on to develop.

I agree, However he showed he could come in a play well as a backup. Developmental QB I would consider that to be a guy like DiNucci or another late rd or undrafted pick that you intended to work with, without being in a rush. Romo was that guy for 4 years before he set foot on the field. I have no issue with Gilbert being a backup at a low cost but a 3rd QB I fully expect him to be a developmental project

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I would be happy with Gilbert as the 3rd teamer, although 3rd teamers are usually developmental guys, and as you noted, that's not really where Gilbert is at this point. I would be pretty leery of having him as the primary backup though.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I agree, However he showed he could come in a play well as a backup. Developmental QB I would consider that to be a guy like DiNucci or another late rd or undrafted pick that you intended to work with, without being in a rush. Romo was that guy for 4 years before he set foot on the field. I have no issue with Gilbert being a backup at a low cost but a 3rd QB I fully expect him to be a developmental project

Yeah, I didn't see that and I am a Longhorns fan. I think everybody will be disappointed if Gilbert ends up having to come in and play but what's new? Anybody who threatens Dak is no bueno. Been this way in Dallas since the day Jimmy left the building. Lets definitely go back to the days of having to depend on guys like Weedon etc.

Get a real backup in here. We don't even know if Dak is resigning here or if he comes back 100% and we have fans that want Gilbert as the backup. I don't get it. This is dumb football to me.