Keep the focus on the cause, not the symptoms

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Culture always matters in team sports. Yes, you must have talent both with players and coaches to win. But culture is the atmosphere in which the talent you have operates. A healthy team culture can make the difference in close games. The culture of the Dallas Cowboys is an unhealthy circus dominated by its 82 year old carnival barker who chooses to make himself the face and centerpiece of the franchise. Except when it comes to being accountable.

And accountability always matters when your organization needs more discipline and motivation. When the architect at the top is never accountable for failure, there can be no accountability anywhere else. And as poorly as Dak Prescott has been playing, and Mike McCarthy has been coaching, the guy at the top of this mess wants us to look at the players and coaches failures - NOT HIS.

Cue the helicopter landing, tours of the Star and threats to radio hosts.

Look Dak sucked last night. Big Mac has an offensive design straight out of the 1990s. We have no running game or ability to stop the run. We knew these were problems going into this last offseason. For all the poor play we’ve seen week after week here, it’s understandable that our fans are mad at the $60 million dollar man. But who is the guy who put all this together? Who is the person most responsible for ALL this mess? Who is is the guy who refuses to change or admit his own failures for decades?

If we want to see some real change, I suggest directing your frustration at the top of this mess. That’s the source of everything that we are so tired of seeing. If you are tired of all this mess - bad culture and zero accountability - keep the focus on the cause not the symptoms.

J_Allen

Reaction score
I was proud of how the team fought until the last second, but it's hard to overcome this coaching staff and all the holes we have on the roster.

If we fix those two things we'll be in good shape. I'm talking about running back, interior line, and someone needs to emerge as a legitimate number two receiver.

We need a coach to come in here and take control like Parcells did. I have a feeling that's coming in the offseason. I've never seen Jerry look like that in the owner's box. He knows the walls are closing in.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Good post
The environment Jerry has created is unforgivable .......I actually have empathy for the players and coaches.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We all know we don't have anyone in charge in this organization, right now, a groundhog and a mcdonald's sign would have more culture and accountability than the Jones crew!!!
Mike McCarthy and his staff are twisting in the wind in front of the players. Big Mac should have been fired last January. Recovering from that playoff debacle was always going to be difficult with the same HC.

I believe JJ will keep him the whole season regardless of record or performance because it will keep the focus on McCarthy and the players instead of the real problem.

Aven8

Reaction score
This team isn’t even fun to watch anymore. We have maybe 4-5 exciting players in Lamb, Aubrey, Micah, Overshown, and Turp on returns.

The rest are just JAGS. It’s all his fault because he doesn’t know how to build a team. The culture is his doing. Only way to get it righted is a HC like Belichek, Saban, or Dan Campbell type. Strong personality. This team needs a leader of men in the biggest way right now.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Good post
The environment Jerry has created is unforgivable .......I actually have empathy for the players and coaches.
The organization is a clown show for sure but I have no empathy for the players. They have actively decided to embrace it and take advantage of the situation. They are not children. I am assuming they are real men and are capable of making their own decisions and are responsible for their own actions. Stand up and say something. Stand up and make a play. Be a man. They are sad little children who are starting to lash out at the world as it turns on them.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This team isn’t even fun to watch anymore. We have maybe 4-5 exciting players in Lamb, Aubrey, Micah, Overshown, and Turp on returns.

The rest are just JAGS. It’s all his fault because he doesn’t know how to build a team. The culture is his doing. Only way to get it righted is a HC like Belichek, Saban, or Dan Campbell type. Strong personality. This team needs a leader of men in the biggest way right now.
I agree with you Aven, we need a strong HC. But what strong HC would want to come here only to be undermined over and over?

The only time this franchise has consistently won playoff games under Jerry Jones is when we had a head coach (like Jimmy) who was in charge of the locker room, personnel and spoke for the team, as all other NFL teams do.

Like you I want a tough minded HC here again. But will it happen?

DillusionalFans

Reaction score
Good post
“Empathy for the players”??? The players are responsible for their execution on the field and for their “me-first” attitude. They love the over-hype (just as much as JJ) and they think they are good enough because they wear the “Star”. These players are NOT winners.

foofighters

Reaction score
Culture always matters in team sports. Yes, you must have talent both with players and coaches to win. But culture is the atmosphere in which the talent you have operates. A healthy team culture can make the difference in close games. The culture of the Dallas Cowboys is an unhealthy circus dominated by its 82 year old carnival barker who chooses to make himself the face and centerpiece of the franchise. Except when it comes to being accountable.

And accountability always matters when your organization needs more discipline and motivation. When the architect at the top is never accountable for failure, there can be no accountability anywhere else. And as poorly as Dak Prescott has been playing, and Mike McCarthy has been coaching, the guy at the top of this mess wants us to look at the players and coaches failures - NOT HIS.

Look Dak sucked last night. Big Mac has an offensive design straight out of the 1990s. We have no running game or ability to stop the run. We knew these were problems going into this last offseason. For all the poor play we’ve seen week after week here, it’s understandable that our fans are mad at the $60 million dollar man. But who is the guy who put all this together? Who is the person most responsible for ALL this mess? Who is is the guy who refuses to change or admit his own failures for decades?

If we want to see some real change, I suggest directing your frustration at the top of this mess. That’s the source of everything that we are so tired of seeing. If you are tired of all this mess - bad culture and zero accountability - keep the focus on the cause not the symptoms.
So the team loses last night after a messy month. Nothing changes. Then guess what happens last night? We have a DB that tracks down a reporter and tells him basically the same thing that our owner said to the media a few weeks ago. Monkey see, monkey do.

The problem is Jerry. Nothing else matters. Nothing else changes while the Jones family is around.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Mike McCarthy and his staff are twisting in the wind in front of the players. Big Mac should have been fired last January. Recovering from that playoff debacle was always going to be difficult with the same HC.

I believe JJ will keep him the whole season regardless of record or performance because it will keep the focus on McCarthy and the players instead of the real problem.
oh absolutely haze, we'll continue to hear "oh we've had no thoughts of making any changes!"

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The organization is a clown show for sure but I have no empathy for the players. They have actively decided to embrace it and take advantage of the situation. They are not children. I am assuming they are real men and are capable of making their own decisions and are responsible for their own actions. Stand up and say something. Stand up and make a play. Be a man. They are sad little children who are starting to lash out at the world as it turns on them.
I understand that. But one reason I have some empathy for the players is this - they knew they needed a lot of help this off-season in multiple areas and watched helplessly as this FO lied about cap space and refused to even try to address a huge need at RB, and stopping the run.

I’m not excusing the players. They have not played well, especially the QB. But those same players knew going into this season that this team was under-manned and the HC and staff were hung out to dry.

cowboyec

Reaction score
jerry jones does not know how to build a competitive,championship roster.
he is incompetent.
until jerry the owner fires jerry the gm...nothing changes.

Steve007

Reaction score

The problem is Jerry and Stephen. I think the coaches run the offense based on the talent they have. Same with the defense.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’ve been asking the same question for months…..

If this is the best team they could put together, supposedly due to cap restrictions….exactly where do we go from here? How do they improve?

The draft? Yeah ok.
Great question. The short answer is we have more Cap releases coming next year like Lawrence. And we will be All In on Parsons.

And we’ll over react in draft using top picks on WR and RB, which are obvious needs. And use mid to late round picks on shoring up the trenches.

Which we could improve offensively with more weapons . And assuming guys like Kneeland can recover and continue developing draft picks like Overshown, resigning Parsons and keep secondary healthy like Bland we could become a 10+ win playoff team again especially with a less than 1st place schedule.

We will probably have a new coaching staff at least at the helm which could bolster us somewhat. I don’t think it will necessarily be worse than this year which most of us knew wasn’t going to be very good. At least those who were paying attention.