Keep the focus on the cause, not the symptoms

morat1959

Reaction score
Culture always matters in team sports. Yes, you must have talent both with players and coaches to win. But culture is the atmosphere in which the talent you have operates. A healthy team culture can make the difference in close games. The culture of the Dallas Cowboys is an unhealthy circus dominated by its 82 year old carnival barker who chooses to make himself the face and centerpiece of the franchise. Except when it comes to being accountable.

And accountability always matters when your organization needs more discipline and motivation. When the architect at the top is never accountable for failure, there can be no accountability anywhere else. And as poorly as Dak Prescott has been playing, and Mike McCarthy has been coaching, the guy at the top of this mess wants us to look at the players and coaches failures - NOT HIS.

Cue the helicopter landing, tours of the Star and threats to radio hosts.

Look Dak sucked last night. Big Mac has an offensive design straight out of the 1990s. We have no running game or ability to stop the run. We knew these were problems going into this last offseason. For all the poor play we’ve seen week after week here, it’s understandable that our fans are mad at the $60 million dollar man. But who is the guy who put all this together? Who is the person most responsible for ALL this mess? Who is is the guy who refuses to change or admit his own failures for decades?

If we want to see some real change, I suggest directing your frustration at the top of this mess. That’s the source of everything that we are so tired of seeing. If you are tired of all this mess - bad culture and zero accountability - keep the focus on the cause not the symptoms.
While all of this is on point, what do we as fans do to help with change? It may not be helping but I stopped going to games and buying anything Cowboys related many years ago. I’ve watched 3 games this year. It’s not worth my time when you know the end result before the season ever starts. I respect and read nearly all your post although sometimes I don’t agree with all of them. What’s a nearly 60 year fan to do?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry was but who were Romo's coaches as well?

Do we excuse Garrett and Wade for their job performance cause Jerry hired them?

Maybe.
But again, McCarthy has won a SB.
So what's McCarthy's job performance excuse?
Cuz he sure sucks as a Cowboys playoff coach.
I agree with you 100% that all players and coaches should also be held accountable for the play on the field. But if their boss is NEVER held to account, how can anyone else truly be accountable?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
That’s it. Now once we recognize the issue how do we make the most out of a pile of crap. Lol

That’s where I’m at. Once you wave the white flag it influences your attitude. I thank Couch Coach RIP for helping me see the light.
I've been a fan so long it would be impossible to find another team. It's certainly been WAY worse, but this season I just haven't cared as much or invested a lot of time.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
While all of this is on point, what do we as fans do to help with change? It may not be helping but I stopped going to games and buying anything Cowboys related many years ago. I’ve watched 3 games this year. It’s not worth my time when you know the end result before the season ever starts. I respect and read nearly all your post although sometimes I don’t agree with all of them. What’s a nearly 60 year fan to do?
Public opinion matters to Jerry. Yes not buying merch or tickets helps but the talk at the office or local sports bar eventually morphs into more Public outcry.

If I didn’t love the Cowboys I would not say anything. It’s easier to throw up our hands and say nothing matters. Many of my friends and family long ago gave up on the Cowboys. I think if this brand did not have the long time (even before Jerry) success, the outcry would be even louder.

Jerry has made the Cowboys much more successful financially. He hired Jimmy Johnson who brought us those 90s SBs. But JJ didn’t buy the Browns or the jags. He bought a brand that was “America’s Team” a whole decade before anyone had heard of Jerry Jones. When JJ arrived in 1989, the Cowboys had already been to 5 SBs and had already won 20 playoff games. He inherited a great brand.

Redline360

Reaction score
I feel the lions would be the perfect example of "culture" change. They were a bottom tier feeder team for a long time even when gathering high draft picks year after year.

Look at them now.

Ownership changed hands. Can't remember if it was new owners or someone else in the family taking over. Culture change

They brought in Dan Campbell - huge culture change

They already had good young talent thanks to the draft picks then went out and got Goff, Gibbs, Williams, Hutchinson, Amon Ra, Sewell, Sutton, and etc

Didn't they just make it to the conference championship game too...Further then Jerry has in how many years?

kskboys

Reaction score
I feel the lions would be the perfect example of "culture" change. They were a bottom tier feeder team for a long time even when gathering high draft picks year after year.

Look at them now.

Ownership changed hands. Can't remember if it was new owners or someone else in the family taling over. Culture change

They already had good young talent thanks to the draft picks then went out and got Goff, Gibbs, Williams, Hutchinson, Amon Ra, Sewell, Sutton, and etc
They traded their high flying QB and used those assets to build a true super bowl contender. Since Jerry refuses to trade players before they are all used up, we'll be stuck in mediocrity. Until he's gone.

Reactions: G2

75boyz

Reaction score
I agree with you 100% that all players and coaches should also be held accountable for the play on the field. But if their boss is NEVER held to account, how can anyone else truly be accountable?
True.
There are just different levels of accountability based off what position that person holds.

As the roster builder of this team Jerry first and foremost has the highest level of accountability to the team's on field success.

As the HC of the Dallas Cowboys Mike McCarthy was hired specifically for his playoff and SB winning resume. His level of accountability is second only to Jerry's.

As an 8 year veteran NFL league runnerup MVP, QB Dak Prescott is held to leading this football team and with his recent contract should be expected to be a difference maker towards postseason success.
His level of accountability is on par with the head coach's. 1A and 1B.

Jerry has failed at roster building for 29 years.
McCarthy has failed at coaching this team to postseason success.
Dak has failed at quarterbacking this team to postseason success.

Those are the top 3 levels of accountability with any NFL team.

Just because Jerry sucks at his job does not give McFraud and SleepNumber a free pass to suck at their jobs.
REGARDLESS if Jerry hired them or drafted them.
AND again I'll say it for the umpteenth time, IF we had an elite coach and elite QB the team would look night and day different. In spite of Jerry.
Since Jerry aint going nowhere, will Jerry ever hire the right coach or know how to draft the right QB?

That's the only question holding the team back while the Jones family still owns this team imo.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Culture always matters in team sports. Yes, you must have talent both with players and coaches to win. But culture is the atmosphere in which the talent you have operates. A healthy team culture can make the difference in close games. The culture of the Dallas Cowboys is an unhealthy circus dominated by its 82 year old carnival barker who chooses to make himself the face and centerpiece of the franchise. Except when it comes to being accountable.

And accountability always matters when your organization needs more discipline and motivation. When the architect at the top is never accountable for failure, there can be no accountability anywhere else. And as poorly as Dak Prescott has been playing, and Mike McCarthy has been coaching, the guy at the top of this mess wants us to look at the players and coaches failures - NOT HIS.

Look Dak sucked last night. Big Mac has an offensive design straight out of the 1990s. We have no running game or ability to stop the run. We knew these were problems going into this last offseason. For all the poor play we’ve seen week after week here, it’s understandable that our fans are mad at the $60 million dollar man. But who is the guy who put all this together? Who is the person most responsible for ALL this mess? Who is is the guy who refuses to change or admit his own failures for decades?

If we want to see some real change, I suggest directing your frustration at the top of this mess. That’s the source of everything that we are so tired of seeing. If you are tired of all this mess - bad culture and zero accountability - keep the focus on the cause not the symptoms.
I don't mind focusing the 3/4 of my anger at JJ, but Prescott also has to feel the heat too. If a decent Prescott showed up last night the Boys would have had a chance to beat the 9ers, but that didn't happen with passes that were off most of the night. CeeDee was making all kinds of crazy catches because Prescott didn't have the ability to hit his receiver between his shoulder blades, and Prescott's inabilities to find a 2nd or 3rd target just isn't going to had if he feels any type of pressure. The sad thing is we're stuck with an aging QB who isn't even average anymore...................

Preoccupied

Reaction score

Just post that video when JJ bought the team.

The one where The great Tom Landry is clearing his desk.

I took one look at JJ in that video and thought

He bought something but he doesn't know what he's doing.

birdwells1

Reaction score
Jerry was but who were Romo's coaches as well?

Do we excuse Garrett and Wade for their job performance cause Jerry hired them?

Maybe.
But again, McCarthy has won a SB.
So what's McCarthy's job performance excuse?
Cuz he sure sucks as a Cowboys playoff coach.
It's the culture that the Joneses have created, Jerry is the face and voice of this team not Mike, until a head coach can come in here and command the locker room and keep the Joneses out of the on field product we won't be successful. You see what's happening in Washington now that the toxic owner is out the door.

birdwells1

Reaction score
I don't mind focusing the 3/4 of my anger at JJ, but Prescott also has to feel the heat too. If a decent Prescott showed up last night the Boys would have had a chance to beat the 9ers, but that didn't happen with passes that were off most of the night. CeeDee was making all kinds of crazy catches because Prescott didn't have the ability to hit his receiver between his shoulder blades, and Prescott's inabilities to find a 2nd or 3rd target just isn't going to had if he feels any type of pressure. The sad thing is we're stuck with an aging QB who isn't even average anymore...................
This roster is not good at all, name a position group that we have that's better than the 49ers? None, and that's including the QB, this is the roster that Jerry put together, we lost this season in March.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I disagree with you in that I think the biggest problem facing this team IS Jerry Jones. Yes Dak has played horrible and like all players and coaches should be held accountable too. But why isn’t the GM ever held accountable?

I’ve said many times I don’t hate Jerry or anyone for that matter. But I do hate the results Jerry keeps giving us.
Of course but we can hate the man . I do because he is intentionally preventing our team from more success for his own personal agendas. It’s not just futility or lack thereof.

He’s basically telling us go screw yourself. Whatcha gonna do about it. He owns a product we love and can’t live without.

He’s like the dealer on the corner . And we are the junkies . And he’s the only show in town if we want his product.

He’s ruined one of my favorite pastimes . I’ll always hate him for that. It runs deep.

birdwells1

Reaction score

Look at them now.

Ownership changed hands. Can't remember if it was new owners or someone else in the family taking over. Culture change

Didn't they just make it to the conference championship game too...Further then Jerry has in how many years?
They also had a change in ownership, a new GM and a new HC in 2021. Coincidentally the Commanders also has a new own, GM and HC. CULTURE MATTERS!!!!!!!!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
They also had a change in ownership, a new GM and a new HC in 2021. Coincidentally the Commanders also has a new own, GM and HC. CULTURE MATTERS!!!!!!!!
Yep. But you don’t have to change if you’re #1 in Revenue.

You just have to duck at the drive thru at the bank:)

triplets_93

Reaction score
Of course but we can hate the man . I do because he is intentionally preventing our team from more success for his own personal agendas. It’s not just futility or lack thereof.

He’s basically telling us go screw yourself. Whatcha gonna do about it. He owns a product we love and can’t live without.

He’s like the dealer on the corner . And we are the junkies . And he’s the only show in town if we want his product.

He’s ruined one of my favorite pastimes . I’ll always hate him for that. It runs deep.
Jerry is Satan.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
:hammer:

Sports media, in particular, should keep hammering Jerry Jones for what he oversees--EVEN during wins. Future wins do not discount or negate the product he has orchestrated for 28 consecutive years.

Trial-and-erroring your way to nowhere should not be ignored. It should be continually exposed and examined. Why should Jones be awarded the benefit of a Teflon suit against relevant criticism--when the vast majority of competing GMs have no such defense to it?

Being a P.T. Barnum on crack should not be rewarded. His GM record should be the daily focus of a public inquisition. The guy is the epidemy of failing upwards.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
:hammer:

Sports media, in particular, should keep hammering Jerry Jones for what he oversees--EVEN during wins. Future wins do not discount or negate the product he has orchestrated for 28 consecutive years.

Trial-and-erroring your way to nowhere should not be ignored. It should be continually exposed and examined. Why should Jones be awarded the benefit of a Teflon suit against relevant criticism--when the vast majority of competing GMs have no such defense to it?

Being a P.T. Barnum on crack should not be rewarded. His GM record should be the daily focus of a public inquisition. The guy is the epidemy of failing upwards.
Well, in recent years we’ve learned that some public figures play by different rules.

Some can get away with saying or doing anything. Others are held to a higher calling.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
oy vey!

Thread reminder

As a member of CowboysZone, you must agree to the following rules:

#7 - You will not post political discussions, comments or content.