Keep the focus on the cause, not the symptoms

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I agree with you Aven, we need a strong HC. But what strong HC would want to come here only to be undermined over and over?

The only time this franchise has consistently won playoff games under Jerry Jones is when we had a head coach (like Jimmy) who was in charge of the locker room, personnel and spoke for the team, as all other NFL teams do.

Like you I want a tough minded HC here again. But will it happen?
Exactly right. I totally support your message and all of your efforts on this subject. And why we must adjust our expectations under our dysfunctional ownership.

I’m all about calling out Jethro & Son out but once that banner is raised we must move on and begin crafting our team best we can as a result.

Much like with any handicap or disadvantage instead of moping around with what we can or cannot do let’s try to figure out how to make the best of a bad situation.

So once we accept we aren’t going to be able to build a championship caliber team, how can we build a playoff caliber team within our limitations .

That’s where my mindset is anyway. Wave my white flag and move on cause once we yell from the mountain top we have to navigate ourselves back down.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Culture always matters in team sports. Yes, you must have talent both with players and coaches to win. But culture is the atmosphere in which the talent you have operates. A healthy team culture can make the difference in close games. The culture of the Dallas Cowboys is an unhealthy circus dominated by its 82 year old carnival barker who chooses to make himself the face and centerpiece of the franchise. Except when it comes to being accountable.

And accountability always matters when your organization needs more discipline and motivation. When the architect at the top is never accountable for failure, there can be no accountability anywhere else. And as poorly as Dak Prescott has been playing, and Mike McCarthy has been coaching, the guy at the top of this mess wants us to look at the players and coaches failures - NOT HIS.

Cue the helicopter landing, tours of the Star and threats to radio hosts.

Look Dak sucked last night. Big Mac has an offensive design straight out of the 1990s. We have no running game or ability to stop the run. We knew these were problems going into this last offseason. For all the poor play we’ve seen week after week here, it’s understandable that our fans are mad at the $60 million dollar man. But who is the guy who put all this together? Who is the person most responsible for ALL this mess? Who is is the guy who refuses to change or admit his own failures for decades?

If we want to see some real change, I suggest directing your frustration at the top of this mess. That’s the source of everything that we are so tired of seeing. If you are tired of all this mess - bad culture and zero accountability - keep the focus on the cause not the symptoms.
Wise words. The fish rots from the head down in Dallas.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Great question. The short answer is we have more Cap releases coming next year like Lawrence. And we will be All In on Parsons.

And we’ll over react in draft using top picks on WR and RB, which are obvious needs. And use mid to late round picks on shoring up the trenches.

Which we could improve offensively with more weapons . And assuming guys like Kneeland can recover and continue developing draft picks like Overshown, resigning Parsons and keep secondary healthy like Bland we could become a 10+ win playoff team again especially with a less than 1st place schedule.

We will probably have a new coaching staff at least at the helm which could bolster us somewhat. I don’t think it will necessarily be worse than this year which most of us knew wasn’t going to be very good. At least those who were paying attention.
“All in on Parsons?”

Sounds like Jerry speak for someone who will be cut.

:lmao:

Had to. Lol.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Culture always matters in team sports. Yes, you must have talent both with players and coaches to win. But culture is the atmosphere in which the talent you have operates. A healthy team culture can make the difference in close games. The culture of the Dallas Cowboys is an unhealthy circus dominated by its 82 year old carnival barker who chooses to make himself the face and centerpiece of the franchise. Except when it comes to being accountable.

And accountability always matters when your organization needs more discipline and motivation. When the architect at the top is never accountable for failure, there can be no accountability anywhere else. And as poorly as Dak Prescott has been playing, and Mike McCarthy has been coaching, the guy at the top of this mess wants us to look at the players and coaches failures - NOT HIS.

Look Dak sucked last night. Big Mac has an offensive design straight out of the 1990s. We have no running game or ability to stop the run. We knew these were problems going into this last offseason. For all the poor play we’ve seen week after week here, it’s understandable that our fans are mad at the $60 million dollar man. But who is the guy who put all this together? Who is the person most responsible for ALL this mess? Who is is the guy who refuses to change or admit his own failures for decades?

If we want to see some real change, I suggest directing your frustration at the top of this mess. That’s the source of everything that we are so tired of seeing. If you are tired of all this mess - bad culture and zero accountability - keep the focus on the cause not the symptoms.
I have no problem keeping the focus on the cause, but their is also a saying that says control what you can control.

Jerry is the cause and he can't be controlled.

So now what???

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I have no problem keeping the focus on the cause, but their is also a saying that says control what you can control.

So now what???
Yep. That’s where I’m at as well. Ok we suk. We have limitations with our ownership. Now, once we accept those handicaps how can we limp along best we can.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Once we accept our handicaps and lower our expectations we can better navigate forward or sideways, etc.

And I think too many fans misinterpreted what “ all in” meant to Jethro.
I’m getting there, albeit slowly lol.

I’m actually one who didn’t take that comment the way most did. I never thought it would be a free agent bonanza. Listen to the words just after. It was about restructuring some contracts and resigning their own, which means forking over a whole lot of up front cash. That’s “all in” from his perspective. Meanwhile many poor fans are thinking they would actually address the gaping holes in the 22. Nah.

It was a very bad look but he doesn’t care and never will. Some might call it resilience, but it seems much more like ignorance.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Once we accept our handicaps and lower our expectations we can better navigate forward or sideways, etc.

And I think too many fans misinterpreted what “ all in” meant to Jethro.
I am hopefully it meant this was Jerry's last year.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Problem is, we all know Jerry is the problem, but what are we doing about it?

Folks need to stop buying merch, if you must go to a game start wearing bags over your heads, hold up signs saying Jerry sucks*, do things that make it felt by this front office.

*why do I get the feeling those would be confiscated in the stadium

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

So now what???
Jerry can’t be controlled, but that doesn’t mean we as fans should act like there’s nothing we can do. Jerry hates being called out as evidenced by his recent two-year old type melt down on the radio last week.

The more heat on Jerry the more likely he will at the very least accept a strong HC that has some authority.

leicafan

Reaction score

This just wasted my time if you just type the last sentence of your long statement. You hate Jerry Jones, that is fine.
But the problem is not just Jerry, you can blame him for all the things. The problem is everywhere especially the QB.
When all other player of the team kept fighting and then boom!! the QB threw another interception. That is the issue.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
I agree with you Aven, we need a strong HC. But what strong HC would want to come here only to be undermined over and over?

The only time this franchise has consistently won playoff games under Jerry Jones is when we had a head coach (like Jimmy) who was in charge of the locker room, personnel and spoke for the team, as all other NFL teams do.

The short answer is no!
Certainly while Jerry is alive, he’ll not share any glory with a Jimmy like coach.
If he was, then it would have happened some years ago.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jerry can’t be controlled, but that doesn’t mean we as fans should act like there’s nothing we can do. Jerry hates being called out as evidenced by his recent two-year old type melt down on the radio last week.

The more heat on Jerry the more likely he will at the very least accept a strong HC that has some authority.
While I agree we must keep the pressure on, how much impacts it makes is questionable. At least from fans like you and me. Unless are prepared to totally abort all of the NFL.

Now if you’re a season ticket holder , a sponsor or radio personality, sportswriter , etc then yea, can help keep pressure on.

Couch Coach kinda set me straight a few years ago on this. And I agree unfortunately.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
This just wasted my time if you just type the last sentence of your long statement. You hate Jerry Jones, that is fine.
But the problem is not just Jerry, you can blame him for all the things. The problem is everywhere especially the QB.
When all other player of the team kept fighting and then boom!! the QB threw another interception. That is the issue.
Who decided to pay the QB $60 mill?

Aven8

Reaction score

I think it will be Belichek if we go that route. But don’t be surprised if it’s someone like Kingsbury…..

birdwells1

Reaction score
The organization is a clown show for sure but I have no empathy for the players. They have actively decided to embrace it and take advantage of the situation. They are not children. I am assuming they are real men and are capable of making their own decisions and are responsible for their own actions. Stand up and say something. Stand up and make a play. Be a man. They are sad little children who are starting to lash out at the world as it turns on them.
Again you're blaming the symptoms, if you had a Belicheck type coach here that held players accountable and kept the front office in check, that would all change.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Well said.