Keep Your Cat Indoors, For Natures Sake

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
TheCount;4987953 said:
That's precisely the point. Keep your pet cat inside because it is a killing machine.

More than that, my cat, Butterkup, is a cybernetic killing machine from the future.

He actually knows two human words: "Sarah" and "Connor". And he's always meowing about them. Quite frankly, he seems obsessed, and I'm a little worried.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Hopeuhavechange;4987993 said:
Points for being funny. But a plea for a little little clarity here. Nonnative species introduced into an ecosystem isn't natural. And, btw, a majority of kills are from stray cats living in their various colonies, some 40 million of whom are rounded up and euthanasized every year, lest they overwhelm the environment and broadly communicate diseases within the population and without (nature hard at work-- self-preservation being the 1st law of nature and pathogens are hardly excepted fr the law).

Ultimately people are accountable for it and it's not fair to the lovable(?) feline in my view. Domestic cats belong in the domicile playing with string and chasing their shadows. Suppose most dog owners let loose their dogs to roam in packs to hunt little Fluffy wherever he's found...would not this instinctive predation be natural for Rover and Spike? Is this what we want?

Excellent points all around.

If people didn't exist, cats would just stay locked up in their homes all day where they couldn't hurt anyone.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;4988130 said:
Excellent points all around.

If people didn't exist, cats would just stay locked up in their homes all day where they couldn't hurt anyone.

:laugh2:

Yeah like cats never existed outside before humans domesticated them and decide that THEY wanted to keep them inside.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
Dexter says just try and keep me inside...

predator.jpg

joseephuss

Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;4988126 said:
More than that, my cat, Butterkup, is a cybernetic killing machine from the future.

He actually knows two human words: "Sarah" and "Connor". And he's always meowing about them. Quite frankly, he seems obsessed, and I'm a little worried.

My cat is an indoor cat that just types on the computer all day and somehow dead birds end up piling up by the front door. It is very disconcerting.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
You know what else science has proved about cats?

When you put them in a box and close the lid, they're both alive and dead until you reopen the box and observe them.

True story... :D

dogberry

Reaction score
Since Richard Fernandez received one of these letters from the Australian government, I assume that the cat is a metaphor.

"Tyrants can't abide independent minded creatures."

joseephuss

Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;4988142 said:
You know what else science has proved about cats?

When you put them in a box and close the lid, they're both alive and dead until you reopen the box and observe them.

True story... :D

You left out a couple of critical items that are also in the box.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
joseephuss;4988152 said:
You left out a couple of critical items that are also in the box.

You're right. How irresponsible of me.

You must put the cat in a box with a vile of poison, a radioactive isotope, and a sensor capable of detecting the spin of a photon. If the isotope emits a photon that spins clockwise, the sensor will detect it and release the poison in the box. However, if the photon is spinning counterclockwise, the poison will not be released.

After the photon has been released and detected, the cat is actually both alive and dead until you observe it.

You know what this means? Zombie cats are real! But they only exist when you're NOT looking at them.

My question about this little thought experiment has always been this: Does the experiment only apply to cats and, if so, does it only apply to cats owned by Schrodinger?

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
My neighbors and I love that my cat kills mice and moles. He has a bell, so he doesn’t really get birds (at least not the smart ones) and we keep him inside during fletching season. He is not happy being inside all the time—never was, even before he got out for the first time. It something wired inside him, I think. Though, my wife parents and my parents both have had cats that do not want anything to do with the outside.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
JIMMYBUFFETT;4987397 said:
Cats killing nuisance vermin??? Shameful! I just got my cat a cool trucker hat that say "Been Shrewing". He wears it all the time while he's out getting his vole on.

:laugh2:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;4988166 said:
You're right. How irresponsible of me.

You must put the cat in a box with a vile of poison, a radioactive isotope, and a sensor capable of detecting the spin of a photon. If the isotope emits a photon that spins clockwise, the sensor will detect it and release the poison in the box. However, if the photon is spinning counterclockwise, the poison will not be released.

After the photon has been released and detected, the cat is actually both alive and dead until you observe it.

You know what this means? Zombie cats are real! But they only exist when you're NOT looking at them.

My question about this little thought experiment has always been this: Does the experiment only apply to cats and, if so, does it only apply to cats owned by Schrodinger? :p

Why you gotta drag Schrodinger's name through the mud here Sip?

:D

Hopeuhavechange

Reaction score
Everyone's a comedian. And yet this is serious business, for Utopia is within our reach, but not until we deal with the cat problem!

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
I don't know what science has against cats. But when it isn't trapping them in boxes and trying to poison them, it's insisting they be kept behind lock and key.

Hopeuhavechange

Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;4988206 said:
I don't know what science has against cats. But when it isn't trapping them in boxes and trying to poison them, it's insisting they be kept behind lock and key.

I'm not in favor of that per se. Put them on a leash. Take them for a spin. But funny you should take this in a science-centric tangent. I'm working on a theory and will present it at the right ime. You know the elusive dark energy that cannot quite be accounted for and has sent the scientific community into such a prolonged frenzy of research/study? I'm confident now that it has something to do with cats. They are the preeminent dark underbelly in the Universe. Stay tuned.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Hopeuhavechange;4988215 said:
I'm not in favor of that per se. Put them on a leash. Take them for a spin. But funny you should take this in a science-centric tangent. I'm working on a theory and will present it at the right ime. You know the elusive dark energy that cannot quite be accounted for and has sent the scientific community into such a prolonged frenzy of research/study? I'm confident now that it has something to do with cats. They are the preeminent dark underbelly in the Universe. Stay tuned.

In essence, you're saying that cats are what's keeping the universe expanding at a rate faster than what we'd expect. If that's the case, if it weren't for cats, we wouldn't exist at all!

jubal

Reaction score
Hopeuhavechange;4988193 said:
Everyone's a comedian. And yet this is serious business, for Utopia is within our reach, but not until we deal with the cat problem!

I for one would like to lump the cat problem with the English Sparrow and the flocks of, pooping on everything,Grackles,you know the ones that swarm in and on the trees and buildings around the malls and parking lots.

ethiostar

Reaction score
Self-defense is an individual right.

http://i386.***BLOCKED***/albums/oo303/pumango/81.gif

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
ethiostar;4988251 said:
Self-defense is an individual right.

http://i386.***BLOCKED***/albums/oo303/pumango/81.gif

That's a dumb bird.