Keep Your Cat Indoors, For Natures Sake

joseephuss

Reaction score
Hopeuhavechange;4988336 said:
That's a Mocker protecting his clutch. Brave is the work you're looking for there.

Dead is the word the bird found.

Hopeuhavechange

Reaction score
jubal;4988249 said:
I for one would like to lump the cat problem with the English Sparrow and the flocks of, pooping on everything,Grackles,you know the ones that swarm in and on the trees and buildings around the malls and parking lots.

Sparrows(and Starlings) represent nonnative species introduced by well-meaning humans and this highlights the plague of introducing nonnative populations into an ecosystem.

They displace native species just as feral cats overrun their environments altering natural balance. This is the crux of the issue and nibbling around the edges of of arguments to rip apart proposed solutions fails to confront the larger fundamental issue on the table.

My last comment on the cat issue as it's run its course and I'm weary of it. But by all means tho y'all carry on.

Hopeuhavechange

Reaction score
joseephuss;4988340 said:
Dead is the word the bird found.

I lied: this is the final final note. Hear me now- Our avian friend found glory in heroism thru devotion. We can all learn a lot from him. Notwithstanding tho I could learn him the finer points of a proper ambush.

BringBackThatOleTimeBoys

Reaction score
ConcordCowboy;4988321 said:
That's a dumb bird.

:lmao2:

Mockingbirds are very territorial .... their squawk sort of reminds me of the s-word. ;)

This poor burd made the mistake of being too close to the ground. What smarter birds do is fly from behind the cat and dive-bomb from a height and peck the cat's head until they give up.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
Hopeuhavechange;4988336 said:
That's a Mocker protecting his clutch. Brave is the work you're looking for there.

TheCount;4988443 said:
Or a mother protecting her offspring.

I'll give her one time to attack the killer...the second time...dumb.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
BringBackThatOleTimeBoys;4988391 said:
:lmao2:

Mockingbirds are very territorial .... their squawk sort of reminds me of the s-word. ;)

This poor burd made the mistake of being too close to the ground. What smarter birds do is fly from behind the cat and dive-bomb from a height and peck the cat's head until they give up.

Yes that would have been a much better tactic....and this cat owner approved...:D

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
Hopeuhavechange;4988342 said:
Sparrows(and Starlings) represent nonnative species introduced by well-meaning humans and this highlights the plague of introducing nonnative populations into an ecosystem.

They displace native species just as feral cats overrun their environments altering natural balance. This is the crux of the issue and nibbling around the edges of of arguments to rip apart proposed solutions fails to confront the larger fundamental issue on the table.

My last comment on the cat issue as it's run its course and I'm weary of it. But by all means tho y'all carry on.

You obviously don't have the stamina to keep up with a cat.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Denim Chicken;4988167 said:
My neighbors and I love that my cat kills mice and moles. He has a bell, so he doesn’t really get birds (at least not the smart ones) and we keep him inside during fletching season. He is not happy being inside all the time—never was, even before he got out for the first time. It something wired inside him, I think. Though, my wife parents and my parents both have had cats that do not want anything to do with the outside.

I think that is so interesting. I've had cats that ambushed the door and were out and about if you didn't watch them sooo closely. And I've had them that would go to an open door, look out, smell and then turn and run to hide. You have your mousers and those that run from one.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
jobberone;4988578 said:
I think that is so interesting. I've had cats that ambushed the door and were out and about if you didn't watch them sooo closely. And I've had them that would go to an open door, look out, smell and then turn and run to hide. You have your mousers and those that run from one.
We have humans like that too.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
jobberone;4988578 said:

Yep, that's how he got a taste for the outside. He hides under the blinds and makes a mad dash when you open the door. I slammed his tail in the door last year and almost cut the damn thing off. Cost me $300.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
ConcordCowboy;4988553 said:
I'll give her one time to attack the killer...the second time...dumb.

You're right. If only all mothers had Casey Anthony's mothering instincts instead, they'd live longer.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
TheCount;4988725 said:
You're right. If only all mothers had Casey Anthony's mothering instincts instead, they'd live longer.

She's doing her young no good at all by dying...cause now they most likely will die...which is what she was trying to avoid by doing what she did.

She was dumb for they way she went about attacking the cat...not for trying to defend her young.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
ConcordCowboy;4988734 said:
She's doing her young no good at all by dying...cause now they most likely will die...which is what she was trying to avoid by doing what she did.

She was dumb for they way she went about attacking the cat...not for trying to defend her young.

Well first of all, she's a bird, so OBVIOUSLY she's dumb. :laugh2:

That being said, I doubt she's run into many natural predators with the reflexes of a house cat, which is not a natural predator.

Another good example of why they should be kept inside. :D

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
TheCount;4988758 said:
Well first of all, she's a bird, so OBVIOUSLY she's dumb. :laugh2:

That being said, I doubt she's run into many natural predators with the reflexes of a house cat, which is not a natural predator.

Another good example of why they should be kept inside. :D

I've seen plenty of smart birds.

I see them in my back yard giving crap to Dexter all the time.

The dumb ones are the ones who give him crap...then let their guard down and think he's going to forget about it. :p:

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Hopeuhavechange;4988035 said:
forgive one hand typing- are you suggesting the article is mostly/completely a fabrication? Why? I've seen unrelated studies suggest similar numbers for some time. A conspiracy afoot? Who is behind this campaign of propaganda?

I have seen what i believe to be healthy birds taken by cats and deposited around, usually on a porch, most frequently Mourning Doves who lack astute awareness of many other birds; also Robins protecting their brood. I know this fr observation. As for the Toxo disease rt I will have to look into it. I suspect much of that goes undetected or unreported.

Are you advocating for nonnative (but i repeat myself) feral cats..is that a good thing? And house cats should be left to take wild animals for sport and tossed aside when the become bored with the corpse? Oh, it's not really a problem in your view, or is exaggerated i gather. And there are drops in population certain birds which may not be wholly due to cats but they are a factor. Why not eliminate it? Not the cats but free ranging domestics and feral populations? Doesn't seem all that radical to me.

...about targeting feral cat populations given how much they actually help keep pest populations down in rural and abandoned areas.

Also the reduction of animal populations due to cats is no where near the proportion or tragedy that humans have.

If you want to watch actual horrific scenes of senseless avian death look no further than the disease culling wildlife mgmt has to do because of disease caused by congested numbers of birds in smaller restricted habitat forced by human encroachment.

Cats are a very small part of avian death equation and definitely one of the smaller problems in our society.