Keeping Tyron Smith

SinceDayOne

Reaction score
Tyron Smith is an aging vet. He has been on the Cowboy roster for a long time. He is a FA this off season. I have posted myself that the team likely needs two new O tackles next year. But considering all the other needs this team has on O and D my mind has changed a bit. IMO Tyron Smith is a must resign and keep at this point. He actually had a better 2023 season than most NFL tackles; he had a better season that the previous few years; played more snaps; missed less games.

He wants to stay in Dallas reportedly. He may not even play anywhere else...If not the Cowboys then he may retire. If he wants to play another season then he should be a relatively easy get for the Cowboys. The Cowboys have so many roster holes they got to keep the guy. They still may need two O tackles anyway....a right tackle and a good swing guy. Quite possibly going to need a new center. Too many questions marks on the O line and on the roster in general to lose number 77.

youngjerryjones

Reaction score
re-sign Tyron to a incentive based contract and draft in the trenches... C, DT/NT, LB and figure out OT next year.

only problem is this OT class is DEEP with almost 25 first round grades... it may make sense to bite the bullet this year and go OT because we won't get this opportunity again at this low in the draft for a quality player in the 20's...especially LT.

Tussinman

Reaction score
If he wants to do the same deal he did this year (basically swing tackle base rate with incentives that still pay him less than a million a start) then it's an absolute no brainer.

Draft tackle early and you have your 3 tackles for 2024. For his sake though I'd be happy if he retires while his overall health is good. End on a high note too (2nd team all pro and will most likely make the NFL top 100 for the 8th time)

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Who was the packer left tackle when we couldn't sniff Jordan love? That's the answer on if we should keep him

Gambit

Reaction score
re-sign Tyron to a incentive based contract and draft in the trenches... C, DT/NT, LB and figure out OT next year.

only problem is this OT class is DEEP with almost 25 first round grades... it may make sense to bite the bullet this year and go OT because we won't get this opportunity again at this low in the draft for a quality player in the 20's...especially LT.
Signing Tyron does not mean you can't draft a top OT should one be available.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Yep. Get him. He will be healthy and ready. Rotate him and if we draft another or use Tyler then good. I think we draft a stud aggressive OG and move Tyler when it’s time. Unless we find a good LT. But we need to address Center. Either pay the man or get a good one.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Tyron Smith is an aging vet. He has been on the Cowboy roster for a long time. He is a FA this off season. I have posted myself that the team likely needs two new O tackles next year. But considering all the other needs this team has on O and D my mind has changed a bit. IMO Tyron Smith is a must resign and keep at this point. He actually had a better 2023 season than most NFL tackles; he had a better season that the previous few years; played more snaps; missed less games.

He wants to stay in Dallas reportedly. He may not even play anywhere else...If not the Cowboys then he may retire. If he wants to play another season then he should be a relatively easy get for the Cowboys. The Cowboys have so many roster holes they got to keep the guy. They still may need two O tackles anyway....a right tackle and a good swing guy. Quite possibly going to need a new center. Too many questions marks on the O line and on the roster in general to lose number 77.
A) They just extended Steele and he isn't going anywhere for at least another 2 seasons
B) Tyron either players for the Cowboys or retires. Probably stays on another 1 yr deal.
C) There might be a bigger need at Center as Biaz is a fa
D) Must also prepare for Zack Martin's replacement

dogberry

Reaction score
If Tyrion goes to another team, Tyler moves to to left tackle?

We then prioritize WR, ER, and CB In the first round?

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
You can't keep him, even if he's cheap, because you can't depend on him. It's unfortunate, but you need to have consistency.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

Restructured contract with Injuries wording in the small print and using him as a good backup?
Sure!

Kingofholland

Reaction score

I don't see Tyron as a must re-sign, but also think he carries value to bring back. Like most things it all depends on the $$$. If he's getting paid as the 10th highest LT thats 17+ million right there and we can't pay that to keep him. For that money we could go address a couple of spots in free agency and then go draft a LT. However if he was back for something similar to this year around 8 million that would make much more sense and give more flexibility in round 1 rather than feeling locked into an LT on round 1.

We are likely going to be filling new starting positions at C, RB, and LB at minimum, with additional depth needs at WR, CB, DE, DT, and LB.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tyron Smith is an aging vet.
Anger 35
Martin 33
Gilmore 33
Tyron 33

And I disagree that the Cowboys will likely need 2 new starting tackles next year. They need a tackle to replace Tyron if he retires. It might be Richards. Right now Steele will be your starting tackle on the right side. It was clear he wasn't fully recovered from his knee surgery this year.

perrykemp

Reaction score
Who was the packer left tackle when we couldn't sniff Jordan love? That's the answer on if we should keep him
Packers Left Tackle was Rasheed Walker. 6th round Pick in 2022. Packers Right Tackle was Zach Tom. 4th Round Pick in 2022.

Collectively they allowed 0 sacks in the playoffs vs Cowboys and 49ers.

I worry that bringing back Tyron ultimately prevent the Cowboys from drafting and developing young (and relatively cheap) options at both LT and RT.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Packers Left Tackle was Rasheed Walker. 6th round Pick in 2022. Packers Right Tackle was Zach Tom. 4th Round Pick in 2022.

I worry that bringing back Tyron ultimately prevent the Cowboys from drafting and developing young (and relatively cheap) options at both LT and RT.
Nuff said

Kwyn

Reaction score
You can't keep him, even if he's cheap, because you can't depend on him. It's unfortunate, but you need to have consistency.
Didn’t he only miss one more game than Tyler?

Are we calling Tyler undependable? To the contrary, most of the board seems to have him slated for rhe HOF even though Tyron outplayed both him and Zack.

Carson

Reaction score

OL Coaching matters big time!