Keeping Tyron Smith

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I'm not pushing Tyron out the door. He's a first ballot Hall of Famer and has been absolutely nothing but a good soldier for this franchise.

If he wants to retire, go for it. He can go rest his back and start the countdown for Canton. If he wants to play another season, I'd absolutely resign him. Ball's in his court.

Tyron's presence still wouldn't stop me from drafting a tackle. Steele just isn't the same dude, and we need to start looking for ways out of that contract.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Tyron Smith is an aging vet. He has been on the Cowboy roster for a long time. He is a FA this off season. I have posted myself that the team likely needs two new O tackles next year. But considering all the other needs this team has on O and D my mind has changed a bit. IMO Tyron Smith is a must resign and keep at this point. He actually had a better 2023 season than most NFL tackles; he had a better season that the previous few years; played more snaps; missed less games.

He wants to stay in Dallas reportedly. He may not even play anywhere else...If not the Cowboys then he may retire. If he wants to play another season then he should be a relatively easy get for the Cowboys. The Cowboys have so many roster holes they got to keep the guy. They still may need two O tackles anyway....a right tackle and a good swing guy. Quite possibly going to need a new center. Too many questions marks on the O line and on the roster in general to lose number 77.
Heck no....rip the dammm band aid off on Tyron and move on. Force yourself to have to look for other options and not play it wimpish. You can't depend on him and i see him breaking down and missing a lot of the season this time.

bottleKids

Reaction score
Our OL, and Eagles are trending downwards... we need to prioritize OL in the draft and start rebuilding ours before they do.

Chasing6

Reaction score
re-sign Tyron to a incentive based contract and draft in the trenches... C, DT/NT, LB and figure out OT next year.

only problem is this OT class is DEEP with almost 25 first round grades... it may make sense to bite the bullet this year and go OT because we won't get this opportunity again at this low in the draft for a quality player in the 20's...especially LT.
Trade down in the first round.

1. Graham Barton(Duke) versatile OT/OG
2. Trade up target OC Jackson Powers-Johnson(Oregon) or OC Sedrick Van Pran(Georgia)
3. LB Tommy Eichenberg(Ohio State)

Solidify the OLine and re-establish a power run game. Take pressure off Dak and helps the Defense with more time of possession.

Resign Hankins and pick up another DT in free agency.

Go to RB by committee. Pick one up in free agency and draft in later rounds.

Eddie

Reaction score
You can't keep him, even if he's cheap, because you can't depend on him. It's unfortunate, but you need to have consistency.
Agreed, what's the point if he's going to miss half the season???

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Worry about losing your Center. You start an OL at Center, then OT, and you make your lesser OT OGs.

Ask Jimmy Johnson who 1st OL drafted was Steve Wiseniski C/G then makes a trade and drafts Mark Stepnoski C/G.

Tom Landry 30 years consisted of 3 centers, starting with Dave Manders, then John Fitzgerald, and finally Tom Rafferty. 5 Super Bowls, +12 NFC Championship games, numerous Division titles, and playoff game later, I think it is about the Center position on the OL.

Best years of Parcells had Andre Gurode. Parcells moved him from OG to C.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
I hope they sign him for the megabucks and it's a 20-year contract where he can't be traded or benched. get it done Jerry

Tussinman

Reaction score
He started 14 games this year with another game or 2 that he could have realistically played if it was do or die. I wouldn't call that half the season let's not be dramatic.

I worry that bringing back Tyron ultimately prevent the Cowboys from drafting and developing young (and relatively cheap) options at both LT and RT.
If it's a one-year incentive-based deal, then it shouldn't hinder that at all. If anything, it should encourage it

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Anger 35
Martin 33
Gilmore 33
Tyron 33

And I disagree that the Cowboys will likely need 2 new starting tackles next year. They need a tackle to replace Tyron if he retires. It might be Richards. Right now Steele will be your starting tackle on the right side. It was clear he wasn't fully recovered from his knee surgery this year.
Tyron came in the league young and has been injured for the better part of a decade. Not the same.

Kwyn

Reaction score
He missed one more game than Tyler Smith and played better than him through the season.

Are you suggesting we plan on cutting Tyler when his contract comes up?

jwitten82

Reaction score
Anger 35
Martin 33
Gilmore 33
Tyron 33

And I disagree that the Cowboys will likely need 2 new starting tackles next year. They need a tackle to replace Tyron if he retires. It might be Richards. Right now Steele will be your starting tackle on the right side. It was clear he wasn't fully recovered from his knee surgery this year.
Damn, had no idea Anger was that old lol

bandfan

Reaction score
You can't keep him, even if he's cheap, because you can't depend on him. It's unfortunate, but you need to have consistency.
I agree, we should only sign players who agree in their contract to not get injured.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
re-sign Tyron to a incentive based contract and draft in the trenches... C, DT/NT, LB and figure out OT next year.

only problem is this OT class is DEEP with almost 25 first round grades... it may make sense to bite the bullet this year and go OT because we won't get this opportunity again at this low in the draft for a quality player in the 20's...especially LT.
I like this idea, especially if they can get a great center in FA.

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
As far as the draft goes I would draft LB's in rounds 1-4 or rounds 1 and 2 and Go hard in free agency, but with the current we like our guys philosophy LB in rounds 1-4 seems more plausible.

Excuse me rounds 1-2 LB 3 RB 4th LB

Kwyn

Reaction score
As far as the draft goes I would draft LB's in rounds 1-4 or rounds 1 and 2 and Go hard in free agency, but with the current we like our guys philosophy LB in rounds 1-4 seems more plausible.

Excuse me rounds 1-2 LB 3 RB 4th LB
So, no offensive line at all?

By the way, we don’t have a pick in the fourth round.

quickccc

Reaction score
Tyron actually played well when he was healthy enuff .. i'm for giving him a one year based 10 million deal.
while placing a huge, crucial Plan B when he cannot go with his health (back, neck, etc)

Chuma was not a solid Plan B. .. either slide Tyler Smith outside in a pinch, still draft a heir apparent if they do not
think Richards is such a guy.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I'm not pushing Tyron out the door. He's a first ballot Hall of Famer and has been absolutely nothing but a good soldier for this franchise.

If he wants to retire, go for it. He can go rest his back and start the countdown for Canton. If he wants to play another season, I'd absolutely resign him. Ball's in his court.

Tyron's presence still wouldn't stop me from drafting a tackle. Steele just isn't the same dude, and we need to start looking for ways out of that contract.
It all comes down to the price tag. He will most likely be cheaper than another free agent replacement.