Keeping Tyron Smith

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tyron Smith is an aging vet. He has been on the Cowboy roster for a long time. He is a FA this off season. I have posted myself that the team likely needs two new O tackles next year. But considering all the other needs this team has on O and D my mind has changed a bit. IMO Tyron Smith is a must resign and keep at this point. He actually had a better 2023 season than most NFL tackles; he had a better season that the previous few years; played more snaps; missed less games.

He wants to stay in Dallas reportedly. He may not even play anywhere else...If not the Cowboys then he may retire. If he wants to play another season then he should be a relatively easy get for the Cowboys. The Cowboys have so many roster holes they got to keep the guy. They still may need two O tackles anyway....a right tackle and a good swing guy. Quite possibly going to need a new center. Too many questions marks on the O line and on the roster in general to lose number 77.
If he's still in it for the $ he's gone to anther team for a final big paycheck.
We can't afford him from the way things are looking.

SinceDayOne

Reaction score
If he's still in it for the $ he's gone to anther team for a final big paycheck.
We can't afford him from the way things are looking.
I would hope that after all these seasons with the Cowboys that Tyron is pretty well set financially. I hope he does not need the money. But like most of us more money would still be nice. Again, he loves Dallas and being a Cowboy. The only thing missing in his career is a deep playoff run. He may be thinking that a change might give him the opportunity with a contender to perhaps enjoy some playoff wins. He may not have confidence in the Cowboys as a contender any longer. Seems like a lot of the team lacks confidence at this point.

Kwyn

Reaction score
I would hope that after all these seasons with the Cowboys that Tyron is pretty well set financially. I hope he does not need the money. But like most of us more money would still be nice. Again, he loves Dallas and being a Cowboy. The only thing missing in his career is a deep playoff run. He may be thinking that a change might give him the opportunity with a contender to perhaps enjoy some playoff wins. He may not have confidence in the Cowboys as a contender any longer. Seems like a lot of the team lacks confidence at this point.
He had challenges early in his career with family and other bloodsuckers who took advantage of him. It was apparently pretty significant.

He made changes and the latter half of his career has been recovering.

He took a team friendly extension last time that included performance and starts based incentives.

He wants to he a Cowboy and has never complained or held out (cough Zack, “golden boy” Martin”) despite being a perennial pro bowl player himself.

He keeps to himself. Comes to work and does his job without complaint. Performs very well.

You’d think he ticks all the boxes for those around here who claim those attributes are important but it doesnt. Sean Lee was beloved and those same posters still lament his outcome. No such love for Tyron Smith.

What is it about him that doesn’t make this board love him? Weird.

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
I would go O-Line on my 2 first draft picks. Only way I would switch one of those is if a stud WR fell.

SFloridaCowboy

Reaction score
I would make Tyron our swing tackle. He would not be subject to so much physical trauma. Draft a stud ready to plug and play Left OT or a monster road grader, cannot miss LG like Zack Martin was, and mover Tyler to LT. This team cannot build a winner solely on draft. Need free agents. Jimmy Johnson needed two defensive linemen. He got Tony Casillas and Charles Haley in trades. Jay Novacek, James Washington were Plan B free agents.

cowboyed

Reaction score
We need him for 1 more year and his replacement needs to be drafted this year
Tyron's mind is willing but his body isn't. Every season the injury bug hits him harder. And recovery takes longer. Being even a young offensive line veteran doesn't shield you from injury. Then there is the performance wear down factor especially against highly competitive defenses.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I may depend what they do with Biadasz at C. Do they try to resign him, or let him go in FA.
As that may also effect the draft as well what they offer Tyron, or the other way around as well.

My preference keep Tyron, to a lesser contract, and if an OT falls to them, make Tyron the swing tackle. Then he is still there if needs to take over starting LT. But still, what do they do at C.
However, I would not mind if they can get a comp pick from either or both. As time to move on.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Tyron Smith is a must sign take 5. This has been going on for so long now it is impossible to take it seriously. Football is for young people but we like our guys so lets run it back.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I may depend what they do with Biadasz at C. Do they try to resign him, or let him go in FA.
As that may also effect the draft as well what they offer Tyron, or the other way around as well.

My preference keep Tyron, to a lesser contract, and if an OT falls to them, make Tyron the swing tackle. Then he is still there if needs to take over starting LT. But still, what do they do at C.
However, I would not mind if they can get a comp pick from either or both. As time to move on.
McCarthy at the end of last year said the priority was to fix the running game. What steps did we take to fix the running game? No OLine changes and ran mostly with Pollard. So we basically did nothing to improve our running game and we lost Zeke. So easily can argue it got worse.

Maybe we should actually try and fix it this year. We could trade down in round 1 get a OG and trade up to get a top OC in the second round. Would we commit 2 early picks to our OLine? I seriously doubt it.

Then get a free agent RB in the deflated market. A average RB's can run throw open holes.

BigD_95

Reaction score
re-sign Tyron to a incentive based contract and draft in the trenches... C, DT/NT, LB and figure out OT next year.

only problem is this OT class is DEEP with almost 25 first round grades... it may make sense to bite the bullet this year and go OT because we won't get this opportunity again at this low in the draft for a quality player in the 20's...especially LT.

I dont think after next year Dallas will be picking that low. With the Dak cap issues and Dak play issues along with the hard schedule. Dallas should be picking in the top 10

conner01

Reaction score
re-sign Tyron to a incentive based contract and draft in the trenches... C, DT/NT, LB and figure out OT next year.

only problem is this OT class is DEEP with almost 25 first round grades... it may make sense to bite the bullet this year and go OT because we won't get this opportunity again at this low in the draft for a quality player in the 20's...especially LT.
I think he would sign the same deal as last year. Basically the more he plays, the more he makes. And it doesn’t prevent you from taking a OT in the first round at all

Creeper

Reaction score
For me this is a tough question because Tyron has been a Cowboys his entire career and he has been a really good one when healthy. I would see what he want to re-sign, but I doubt he will sign if he is not boing to start. Still, it is unlikely he will pay a full year so if a quality OT falls to Dallas and he is the BPA, then take him. Get rid of Chuma and let the rookie compete with Tyron and Steele for the starting role.

I think Dallas has bigger issues at the moment, and that is not to say OT is not an issue at all. They need a C who is bigger and stronger than Biadasz. He needs to anchor the OL, not be the anchor of the OL.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
McCarthy at the end of last year said the priority was to fix the running game. What steps did we take to fix the running game? No OLine changes and ran mostly with Pollard. So we basically did nothing to improve our running game and we lost Zeke. So easily can argue it got worse.

Maybe we should actually try and fix it this year. We could trade down in round 1 get a OG and trade up to get a top OC in the second round. Would we commit 2 early picks to our OLine? I seriously doubt it.

Then get a free agent RB in the deflated market. A average RB's can run throw open holes.
When Parcels took over the Giants. Within his first few years. I can’t remember exactly. Would need to look it up. Which I don’t care to do. :laugh:

Anyway, he went OL, picks 1and 2, for 2 years in a row. Next thing you knew they won a SB. Yes they had a very good defense. But skill players on offense weren’t exactly top notch across the board. Again I would need to look it up to be certain.

youngjerryjones

Reaction score
You can keep smith and still draft a tackle in the first. But it means you aren’t forced to take a tackle if the quality is not there
agreed you are in a better spot imho that way as we have a swing and T for the future that can likely start off by learning from a HOF

Chasing6

Reaction score
When Parcels took over the Giants. Within his first few years. I can’t remember exactly. Would need to look it up. Which I don’t care to do. :laugh:

Anyway, he went OL, picks 1and 2, for 2 years in a row. Next thing you knew they won a SB. Yes they had a very good defense. But skill players on offense weren’t exactly top notch across the board. Again I would need to look it up to be certain.
Best defense is a ball control offense. Hard to give up points sitting on the sidelines.

conner01

Reaction score
agreed you are in a better spot imho that way as we have a swing and T for the future that can likely start off by learning from a HOF
I don’t like having to draft a position. If a good tackle is there we should take him but who knows if one will be there. The smart move is sign him to about the same deal that pays him more when he plays more. Between him and Steele a rookie is gonna get to play a few games and if Steele doesn’t bounce back the rookie could start at RT

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would keep Tyron Smith until he stops playing like a Pro Bowl LT.

If that means I have to deal with spot starting someone else during the season so be it. He is too valuable to run off prematurely.

Kwyn

Reaction score
I would keep Tyron Smith until he stops playing like a Pro Bowl LT.

If that means I have to deal with spot starting someone else during the season so be it. He is too valuable to run off prematurely.
Wish more people understood this. People get caught up in a narrative and can’t let go because critical thinking is not common in any NFL fan base.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wish more people understood this. People get caught up in a narrative and can’t let go because critical thinking is not common in any NFL fan base.
Especially when Tyron gives the team a discount. Hie last contract was a bargain and reports are he's willing to re-sign on an incentive laden deal tied to playing time.

No brainer to bring back.