Keeping Tyron Smith

rambo2

Reaction score
Bring him back with incentives for number of games played.

khiladi

Reaction score
Based on Jerry’s running it back comments, he’ll probably get a 1 year deal from now on.

khiladi

Reaction score
I would keep Tyron Smith until he stops playing like a Pro Bowl LT.

If that means I have to deal with spot starting someone else during the season so be it. He is too valuable to run off prematurely.
Not just pro bowl, All Pro. He was flat out dominant the majority of games he played.

khiladi

Reaction score
McCarthy at the end of last year said the priority was to fix the running game. What steps did we take to fix the running game? No OLine changes and ran mostly with Pollard. So we basically did nothing to improve our running game and we lost Zeke. So easily can argue it got worse.

Maybe we should actually try and fix it this year. We could trade down in round 1 get a OG and trade up to get a top OC in the second round. Would we commit 2 early picks to our OLine? I seriously doubt it.

Then get a free agent RB in the deflated market. A average RB's can run throw open holes.
He didn’t say it was to fix it, what he said was we scored too fast and didn’t give time for the defense to rest and that the lack of runninh supposedly caused Dak to throw all these picks. It was basically that we supposedly didn’t make a concerted effort to run the ball, which isn’t really true. It was more about the picks.

bottleKids

Reaction score
You can keep smith and still draft a tackle in the first. But it means you aren’t forced to take a tackle if the quality is not there
Not saying take just to take, but we need to start prioritizing the rebuild of our line.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
Resign Tyron ONLY if the contract reflects he is an over-the-peak LOCK HOFer who MAY be available for ten games and, hopefully, playoffs. IOW, cap-friendly and incentive-laden. Dude was one of the best ever - dude is NOT that guy anymore. And draft a tackle.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Didn’t he only miss one more game than Tyler?

Are we calling Tyler undependable? To the contrary, most of the board seems to have him slated for rhe HOF even though Tyron outplayed both him and Zack.
Tyron had a great season.

People get stuck in their evaluations from previous years. Yes, Tyron has had injury problems, but this season was one of his best in a long time. Looks healthy and is playing great. Better than Zack and Tyler this year.

The only question will be if Tyron wants a chunk more pay. Zack got a raise. Tyron may want one too. And his play merits a raise.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Tyron had a great season.

People get stuck in their evaluations from previous years. Yes, Tyron has had injury problems, but this season was one of his best in a long time. Looks healthy and is playing great. Better than Zack and Tyler this year.

The only question will be if Tyron wants a chunk more pay. Zack got a raise. Tyron may want one too. And his play merits a raise.
Yes.

I’d guess they want a 2-3 year deal.

conner01

Reaction score
Not saying take just to take, but we need to start prioritizing the rebuild of our line.
I agree but not at the expense of quality. I didn’t like the mazi pick last year. Not that high for a run stuffer though I assume they think he can develop into more. But I think there were better options at other positions. If a quality tackles falls you have to take him but the most important thing is get a really good player

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Tyron Smith is an aging vet. He has been on the Cowboy roster for a long time. He is a FA this off season. I have posted myself that the team likely needs two new O tackles next year. But considering all the other needs this team has on O and D my mind has changed a bit. IMO Tyron Smith is a must resign and keep at this point. He actually had a better 2023 season than most NFL tackles; he had a better season that the previous few years; played more snaps; missed less games.

He wants to stay in Dallas reportedly. He may not even play anywhere else...If not the Cowboys then he may retire. If he wants to play another season then he should be a relatively easy get for the Cowboys. The Cowboys have so many roster holes they got to keep the guy. They still may need two O tackles anyway....a right tackle and a good swing guy. Quite possibly going to need a new center. Too many questions marks on the O line and on the roster in general to lose number 77.
It’s tough because he was still good as a pass blocker. BUT, he is not an effective run blocker anymore. Struggles getting to 2nd level and doesn’t have much agility left. The truth is we would be a better team right now moving Tyler to LT AND STARTING PASS AT LG. WHY? Because its much cheaper and they are both better run blocking. So if we truly want to fix the run game then no Tyron shouldn’t be brought back. You go with TYLER-BASS and draft a CENTER in the first two rounds.