Twitter: Kellen Moore being linked to Boise St

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He had the chance to get back to the college level as the OC at WA and chose to stay in the NFL. The HC job at BSU light be appealing and a chance to get back home. I lived in Dallas and Boise and I'd take Boise all day long over Dallas.

DCCowboys11

Reaction score
I wish the kid had been gone last year. This would be an out for McCarthy, since we all know keeping Moore was part of his pitch to get the job. I highly doubt McCarthy really wanted Moore calling plays. But he wouldn’t have gotten the job otherwise.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
I think he bolts - he's royalty there and can run the show. Not happening in Big D.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
How can I help Kellen?

movers.jpg

Reaction score
Looks like Moore is moving on and I think it's a considerable loss for the team. Posters here all think they are great playcallers and rag on Moore constantly. But overall, the results on offense has been pretty good. I understand why Moore is has other offers and why he is considering them.

He probably ks better off staying in the NFL, but the lure of going back to Boise might be too strong.

He's still a young guy and the NFL will still be there in a few years.

dfense

Reaction score
I can see it now. MM has just the guy in mind to run the offense. He's been retired since 98 but chompin at the bit to get back into coaching.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
I prefer just having McCarthy running the offense and calling plays. To me, that was the only reason to bring him to Dallas. Hopefully Moore will land the gig of his dreams and I wish him well. Right now, he just provides cover for McCarthy at a time when accountability is needed most.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

Kellen Moore’s name is being linked to the Boise State opening in media reports. Considering his success and status at the school, it is a natural connection. But this might not be the only job that Moore, who is in his second year as offensive coordinator, is connected to at the college and pro level. According to multiple sources, Moore is not under contract with the Cowboys beyond this season. Mike McCarthy has been impressed with Moore’s work, especially with four different quarterbacks.

i

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

that may actually be a good thing for him, if he aspires to be an NFL head coach some day....its obvious he is over his head as he has been taken to school against average to better DCs in the league. he has shown he can run the offense against undermanned and weaker teams. so his scheme, play calling needs a lot of tuning and he needs to learn a lot more. he is smart. so going to college, learning how to be a head coach, fine tuning his game at college level, may actually give him a better future and better chance for his future in the league.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Yes Moore has had the #1 offense, and again until Dak was injured.
And all the other injuries as well. But to me he still makes too many bone headed calls in critical situations.

Now how many of those calls were from the situation, being down all the time, so felt he had to try something different. But when you have 3rd and 1, and you try a play that takes 10 seconds to develop, that is stupid. None of them worked. You run the balls, or a quick slant pass. Not a toss back 10 yard behind the LOS or a reverse where the WR takes the ball 10 yards behind the LOS.

Those may work at Boise St, but not with this team. That is why I am hard on him at times.
He is great between the 20s and then continues to make questionable calls inside the red zone, particularly goal to go situations. He has a bright future and I wish him well.

fivetwos

Reaction score
If he is going to be offered the HC position at his AM along with a huge raise, how can he not take that?

Even if he fails, he will have an NFL assistant job waiting for him.

It's a no brainer....until his wife steps in and makes the decision that is lol.

Dont discount Jerry ponying up big dollars to keep his boy wonder and security blanket.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
This is not a defence of KM or any other specific OC for that matter, but just some things to consider when evaluating an NFL offence.

In between the 20s your scheme and your OC can make a big difference dialing up plays, misdirection, etc to win. There is lots of real estate and the pressure is on the defence to cover a wider territory.

NFL OCs with longitudinal success year after year are the OCs who can scheme and dial up winning plays inside the red zone, and can consistently get their teams out of the pinch when their backed up inside their own 20 or 10. Those two zones are where the big boys come to play.

They are also the areas where the effectiveness of the coach and OC and scheme becomes less important, and things like physical talent, and execution are the primary reasons you win on a consistent basis.

Players who have quickness, have height, have great hands, superior leg drive and can anticipate and see opportunity do well here. Combine that with great practice and repetition to nail down execution and there is where the teams that do well here reflect on the OC and his schemes.

In the red zones (yours and theirs) you rely much more on your players and your position coaches to display talent and execution.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If he wants stability and a conduit to greater opportunity, he should take the BSU job. He'd be in line for a move up to OR, WA, USC or maybe Stanford and stay in the area where he's from.

One thing I don't know about him are his recruiting abilities but he's a legend and loved around Boise.