Twitter: Kellen Moore has "high interest" in Boise State job

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I wonder if interviewing for a college head coach position at his alma mater and NOT getting the job will hurt him when it comes to getting an NFL head coaching job?

I mean think about it .. if that happened, a college team where he played would be saying, "No thanks!" to him

Before anyone chimes in, I am not predicting anything with regards to whether he will get the job, just wondering if it might hurt (not eliminate of course) his chances of getting an NFL head coaching job if that were to happen.
I think he'd still be able to stay on as our OC, and eventually work his way up the ladder somewhere.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I think he'd still be able to stay on as our OC, and eventually work his way up the ladder somewhere.
I agree. I’m not sure this is a huge step up for Moore if his goal is to be an nfl HC at some point. Plenty of coordinators get HC interviews and the league is hiring more HCs in their 30s and 40s than ever before. A couple more years of a top 10 offense and kellen probably gets some looks. He may be able to set himself up to take over for McCarthy if he plays his cards right too.

quickccc

Reaction score
Dak has to learn a new offense while learning how to walk again in a contract year.

Not unless MM promotes QB coach Doug Nussmeirer to OC.
Moore and Nussemeir worked close together in revamping Dak, and Nuss
has OC experience. ;)

817Gill

Reaction score
kind of a dumb move,you go to Boise and your chance of being a NFL head coach goes out of the window.
Not at all lol. College coaches get plucked to the big leagues often these days. Matt Rhule at Baylor and Kliff Kingsbury at TTU are easy examples of guys going to similar level schools and getting a job.

Kellen also has experience and has had success as an OC in this league. If he does well at Boise he’s going to be one of the most sought after HC candidates. With college concepts making a bigger impact in the NFL annually, it’s a bit outdated of a thought process to think being a college HC is a detriment to his future as an NFL HC. Especially with him already having experience at the NFL level calling plays. This would be a great move for him career-wise just as staying in Dallas would be good too. It’s a win-win for Mr. Finger Guns.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I must be the minority here. I thought our offense under Moore showed a lot of creativity and I would hate to lose him. But I think he’s the favorite to get the job.

Imagine if half the team hadn't quit on McCarthy/Nolan...As soon as the players saw the crazy play calls...and the horrible defensive scheme...players started checking out...and not buying in.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
kind of a dumb move,you go to Boise and your chance of being a NFL head coach goes out of the window.

Maybe he wants to be a college coach and not deal with the NFL. Much less pressure at Boise. He is not real close right now to a HC job. He was great at Boise and is loved there. And anything to get away from Jerry and his cronies.

quickccc

Reaction score
I agree. I’m not sure this is a huge step up for Moore if his goal is to be an nfl HC at some point. Plenty of coordinators get HC interviews and the league is hiring more HCs in their 30s and 40s than ever before. A couple more years of a top 10 offense and kellen probably gets some looks. He may be able to set himself up to take over for McCarthy if he plays his cards right too.

If Kellen's biggest dream is to be an eventual NFL coach, ..i don't see why he cannot come calling to an NFL HC offer that appeals to him and
assuming there's no outstanding clauses and ties that makes it difficult and expensive for him to leave.
o_O

Loso86

Reaction score
It's not dumb if that's something HE wants to do. I'm sure if he does well his chancesbeould improve later on

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind seeing Kellen Moore depart for a position with Boise State. His inexperience raised it's ugly head far too often in his play calling for the running game. He ran Zeke into the middle of a defensive front that was too stout vs. the run, to bring success to that idea. It was a bad habit that OC, Scott Linehan, previously favored, much to the chagrin of the offense. Many of us felt Moore would abandon that tendency. Sadly, he didn't.

Last edited:

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think it would be a great move for him.
Probably a dream job of his.
Also if he can do well with that job he would be set for life there.

Sounds like he wants it, hate that it means we have to go with someone else when we have no idea who it would be, but would be happy for him. He is a young man and has the world ahead of him.

cmoney23

Reaction score
Love Moore. He's a brilliant offensive mind. Hopefully he doesn't go.

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score

aVOSkIC.gif