Kellen Moore no huddle reads

erod

Reaction score
Listening to Kellen Moore this week, he mentioned that no huddle gives him the opportunity to basically make the presnap reads for Dak before the mic in his helmet goes dead.

That's an interesting reason to use it.

Does that mean well we'lla lot more no-huddle this year?

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Listening to Kellen Moore this week, he mentioned that no huddle gives him the opportunity to basically make the presnap reads for Dak before the mic in his helmet goes dead.

Our defenses caught on to that 12 years ago in Texas HS Football. I'm sure NFL has caught onto it too. Give them a presnap read and them shift when they are calling the play. Easy.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score

Here we go ... Chip Kelly style 101 .

reddyuta

Reaction score

it's hard to believe Garrett will actually allow all these changes to the offense, we will see in pre season .

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I hope so. If nothing else, it's nice to hear about some creative thinking going on.

mooseq

Reaction score
That’s what the Sean McVay does with Goff and it works! But I wonder if Moore can read defenses as good and quick as McVay. But regardless this is light years ahead of Garrett’s mindset so that’s a sign of improvement.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
If that's true, we can already confirm Moore's smarter than Garret and that other clown previously running the offense. Let's see how this plays out.

Once the 40 second play clock starts the mic is live for only 15 seconds. So after the QB gets that presnap read and then in the time the QB is shouting out the play to his team the defense just shifts and that presnap read is useless.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Once the 40 second play clock starts the mic is live for only 15 seconds. So after the QB gets that presnap read and then in the time the QB is shouting out the play to his team the defense just shifts and that presnap read is useless.

Too bad our defensive coaches didn't know how to do that against the Rams.

waldoputty

Reaction score
That’s what the Sean McVay does with Goff and it works! But I wonder if Moore can read defenses as good and quick as McVay. But regardless this is light years ahead of Garrett’s mindset so that’s a sign of improvement.

actually it seems he is taking it one step further.
if i remember correctly, teams adjusted for mcvay by changing their defense after the helmut time limit.
by doing hurry-up, they can snap the ball before the time limit.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
actually it seems he is taking it one step further.
if i remember correctly, teams adjusted for mcvay by changing their defense after the helmut time limit.
by doing hurry-up, they can snap the ball before the time limit.

Teams, and it's rare, that get plays off other than spiking the ball within 15 seconds are done by teams who QB is doing his own presnap reading. Besides the presnap reading he has to communicate to his team what play they are running. Between getting lined up, the presnap reading and then communicating the play being run it normally takes more than the 15 seconds that the QB mic is live. Most hurry up offenses still take 20 to 25 seconds to get off.

Qcard

Reaction score
Our defenses caught on to that 12 years ago in Texas HS Football. I'm sure NFL has caught onto it too. Give them a presnap read and them shift when they are calling the play. Easy.
This exactly what Belichick did to Goff and McVay in the Superbowl.....

This is exactly what Kris Richard DIDN'T DO in the playoff lose.. reason Jaylon and LVE looked lost

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think you got that wrong. They cut the mics off at 15 seconds prior to 00 seconds.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Teams, and it's rare, that get plays off other than spiking the ball within 15 seconds are done by teams who QB is doing his own presnap reading. Besides the presnap reading he has to communicate to his team what play they are running. Between getting lined up, the presnap reading and then communicating the play being run it normally takes more than the 15 seconds that the QB mic is live. Most hurry up offenses still take 20 to 25 seconds to get off.

you can probably add another 5 seconds for time for defense to get their formation changed. as they are moving around, they are vulnerable.

and as macready said, i think helmuts turn off when it is 15 second remaining.

Last edited:

waldoputty

Reaction score
This exactly what Belichick did to Goff and McVay in the Superbowl.....

This is exactly what Kris Richard DIDN'T DO in the playoff lose.. reason Jaylon and LVE looked lost

good point.
bad loss for richard there.
but this can easily be changed, and they are clearly thinking about it with moore making those comments.

Blake

Reaction score

Defenses are already trained to counter, I get it. However, when effective defenses are kept off balance. It's another tool in the toolbox that makes the offense more dynamic, and I like that.