News: Kellen Moore signs extension to remain Cowboys OC

blueblood70

Reaction score
As soon as Jerry saw Boise rumors, it became a competition for him because of his bloody insane ego. He just couldn't let someone else take him. Same thing will happen when he extends Stats Prescott and we'll be stuck in mediocre limbo for another 5-10 years. I won't live long enough to see this team win another SB with this bunch of razorback bogans in charge for the long haul.

No Boise tuned him down then Jerry signed him not big deal get over it..KM does not suck hes still developing and has some flaws but hes dont very good job here , not like jerry locked up scrub and guarantee MM was in on the decsions..you dont get to play I know more then the FO and a HC with skins on his wall..

stop playing GM , you arent one..smh

blueblood70

Reaction score
It made sense being that the Cowboys had a great offense to begin with. So it made no sense for there to be turnover. And quite frankly I have no issue with it because Moore seems to be better at his job than Mike McCarthy is to this point.

In regards to Garrett....the issue was sticking with him too long.

It’s a luxury to have a young football mind next to your franchise QB and I’m glad to is organization feels the same way.

We need to save this energy for when Nolan comes back because that’s looking like to be the case.
agreed!

the hate train and know it all were all over this hard to read really..some are truly clueless fans around here..

cowboyed

Reaction score
Did you forget that in those four games the defense was awful?

36.5 ppg
430 ypg
1 forced turnover

How can that be laid at the feet of the offense?

And, since you want to talk about the running game, how is it even remotely possible to establish or maintain the rush when your defense is getting blown off the field and the opposing team is scoring at will?

Did you watch those games?

And our run blocking wasn't exactly stellar with so many offensive lineman being in and out of that group throughout the season.

cowboyed

Reaction score
I look at it this way, what has he learned this season that can be of value down the road?

He's had to make changes on the fly and had an offense north of 35ppg and was 1-3 when he lost his starting QB and then went through 3 more.

His OL began falling apart and it was plug and play and not many offenses do well replacing both OT's.

Then the team is spiraling and he gets to see who wants to play and who wants to win. Three game win streak with a backup QB and makeshift OL and a challenged defense.

Kellen Moore could never get comfortable this season and the fact he didn't succumb to the adversity speaks volumes about his headiness and leadership of his offense. This in only his second full season as an OC. His future looks bright and why not here?

Absolutely spot on.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m not sure if a college can interview him without permission or if technically Boise can still offer him their position. It doesn’t much matter, though, because Moore apparently wants to stay and that seems to me the best decision for him.
College AD's could care less about the NFL and their rules. But he's sent a pretty clear message to any suitors with his decision to stay in the NFL. He's not ready for college.....just yet.

Moore is no dummy, he's in a profession that opens up the top coaching jobs 6-9 times every year and he's on the up and comer list. He can get a HC gig in 2022-23, fail and still move onto college if he wants and be under 40 with 25 years ahead of him. The majority of these guys that take the NFL HC gigs are risks and the turnover in the league is proof. Few ruin their career or reputation taking a job and failing.

Crazy the money these guys can make in failing. Tom Herman just got blindsided and fired in Austin and he gets paid 15M. All of these coaches that were fired under contract walked away with some nice coin. Most get 5 year contracts but the real time is much shorter than that in today's NFL.

All Moore needs to do is look at Mike Nolan and Norv Turner's resumes to know he's in a limited field and there's always a high paying gig. The NFL should be the proud sponsor of recycling.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Look Boise turned him down Im was ok either way him leaving or staying, jerry just making KM feel more secure and im bet MM signed off on it.KM a very good OC and is developing..no need to hate on the guy..

he can easily be fired no matter the del., happens all the time..

so get passed all the hate..

seems lie any coach or player gets a big deal the hate train posts start..

KM while hes still got ways to go to be great has been good, he has very limited offense rising in the rankings since dak went down, that tough adjustment especially with the defense giving up 30 most games..

I say chill give the guy shot..if he left i was cool but he snot here , let him continue to develop..
How do you know BSU turned him down? The only two under consideration are Moore and the DC from OR and Moore could have turned them down.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Look Boise turned him down Im was ok either way him leaving or staying, jerry just making KM feel more secure and im bet MM signed off on it.KM a very good OC and is developing..no need to hate on the guy..

he can easily be fired no matter the del., happens all the time..

so get passed all the hate..

seems lie any coach or player gets a big deal the hate train posts start..

KM while hes still got ways to go to be great has been good, he has very limited offense rising in the rankings since dak went down, that tough adjustment especially with the defense giving up 30 most games..

I say chill give the guy shot..if he left i was cool but he snot here , let him continue to develop..
I'm personally not "hating" on him at all.

Other than a quintuple reverse on the goal line here and there, I think he has been fine.

If Dak likes working with him, all the better.

My beef is what I suspected all along...where Jerry has to have his HC in waiting hanging around. The players arent oblivious to things like that, and my opinion is that it makes MMs job all that much tougher.

Maybe I'm wrong, and I spend a lot of time hoping that Jerry's way of running this team (which no other has ever pulled off) works out. If it does itll be in spite of him, not because.

fivetwos

Reaction score
How do you know BSU turned him down? The only two under consideration are Moore and the DC from OR and Moore could have turned them down.
What role did this extension play into that is my question.

The timing sure suggests it was a factor.

Plenty of assistants have expiring contracts and this team ought to be worried about beating NY, not extending Moore when they did.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Plenty of assistants have expiring contracts and this team ought to be worried about beating NY, not extending Moore when they did.
I'm sure it was because it wouldn't be hard for Booger to surpass the BSU's pay, the one that just left was only making 1.8M for this next season.

I think the feeling some have here that Moore was tagged by the Joneses as a future HC for them is valid, I think that's the plan. Booger was considering naming Garrett HC after one year of QBC in Miami. His requirements of a HC are different from any owner of any sports franchise. Moore is not a spotlight seeker, his first requirement.

What we don't know is how Booger's daughter feels about Moore's wife as that will be important.

Kwyn

Reaction score
McCarthy = Wade

Moore = Garrett

And around and around we go.

Because the world is so simple that one event automatically dictates any and all future events for eternity

Kwyn

Reaction score

So next week woudl be the right time?

how much “worry” do you think went into this?

did they have to cancel a practice?

it took about as much time as it took for Moore’s agent to send the e-sign documents to Kellen’s inbox

answering questions about Boise State took up way more time for the organization than getting this deal done

what it did was officially let Boise know to move on and keep McCarthy, Jones and Moore from having to respond to endless questions from reporters in a week when they are trying to prepare for the last game of the season

dfense

Reaction score
Man, there is no pleasing some people.

With a patchwork Oline, two backup tackles and a backup QB, they are averaging 30+ points a game. They can work on getting better at TOP and redzone efficiency.

Do you trust MM not to bring in Sherman Lewis as a replacement?

fivetwos

Reaction score
I'm sure it was because it wouldn't be hard for Booger to surpass the BSU's pay, the one that just left was only making 1.8M for this next season.

I think the feeling some have here that Moore was tagged by the Joneses as a future HC for them is valid, I think that's the plan. Booger was considering naming Garrett HC after one year of QBC in Miami. His requirements of a HC are different from any owner of any sports franchise. Moore is not a spotlight seeker, his first requirement.

What we don't know is how Booger's daughter feels about Moore's wife as that will be important.
The friends and family approach has worked out well for certain people.

I thought Garrett was a bit meek, but Moore even moreso.

As I think about how that's not the personality I want trying to command an NFL locker room, I realize thats exactly what Jerry does want in a HC.

That's what bothers me here. The future appears to be an exact replica of the past. Great.

817Gill

Reaction score
dollars to doughnuts it will be a coach he has a history with.
That’s the thing about Moore though, he’s 32 and has only coached in Dallas. By the time his turn rolls around anybody in the JG era would be really outta the coaching carousel so he’d be forced to pick someone new.

Unless he just rolls with the DC at his time of hire (highly unlikely unless he’s a beast), it’ll have to be someone he’s not coached with.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
People are falling for it again.

Remember in 2018 when Kris Richard was the hot Head Coach candidate?

And where did Richard work this year?

Going somewhere else and having a real fear of failure or better yet, any sort of consequence for failing, would have been the best thing for Kellen Moore's coaching career. The boss has already said he's a genius, if he fails, the boss isn't going to blame him. See Jason Garrett for a decade. Jerry said he was the "next Tom Landry;" couldn't admit he wasn't. He said Kellen was "their own version of Sean McVay." Kellen can't fail because it's more evidence that Jerry is football dumb.

Mannix

Reaction score
Stupid, but soooo predictable....he will be the next HC....Clapping Carrot Part Deux. This organization is just beyond pathetic...a lot of us around here unless much younger than Stephen....aka Boy Blunder...will NEVER see another Cowboys Super Bowl.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Moore is viewed as a Sean Payton type coach by the Jones family and they wanna give him a chance to grow. This was the right call. It also points to us keeping Dak Prescott longterm. This was more about keeping Dak than anything. Wise move.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Moore is viewed as a Sean Payton type coach by the Jones family and they wanna give him a chance to grow. This was the right call. It also points to us keeping Dak Prescott longterm. This was more about keeping Dak than anything. Wise move.

agree...

Jerry had no choice.

I would guess that KMoore wanted more than just more money.

a big power play. KMoore won.

I think Philbin and Big Mike are the losers.