Kellen the Young

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sunday night, you can replace that ? with your evaluation of Kellen Moore but in all fairness, judge his plays called against execution.

I am more excited about this opener than I have been in a long time, all because of a first time OC in his first game, we don't get to see this much in the NFL, Moore is about as green as a coach comes. But the challenge for James Bettcher, the Giants DC, who did improve the stats last season as he did in AZ before coming to the Giants in 2018, is that he has nothing to go by, no tendencies shown yet and facing a dual threat QB with some good weapons.

In that regard, the first game Prescott played, their DC at that time went back to his last season at Miss St and what AL, AU and LSU did, he's kind of in the same boat as the DC was in the first game of 2016, only this is with the OC this time. But he has little to go by and preseason gave him nothing except Moore didn't look like this is too big for him. Which is good because the young OC is going to have the bright lights on him unlike any OC before him.

I will watch this game a little differently than in the past when the O is on the field. However, I am not the X's and O's student of the game that some are here so I look forward to their evaluations after the game.

I didn't have to be a student of the game with Linehan, I could predict pretty accurately what he was going to call but I am looking forward to seeing how different Moore calls it in the same situations, particularly on 1st and 3rd downs and in the red zone. I won't even mind some 3rd and longs to see how he calls it.

One thing I am really looking forward to is beginning to answer that question that I've had for 3 seasons. Was Linehan's play calling restricted because of what he saw as QB limitations? Did he play it conservatively because of a lack of trust in the QB to execute certain plays in pressure situations? All I do know is he was a different play caller with Stafford and Romo. Then again, I don't know how many plays Romo changed in the huddle, at the line or once the ball was snapped so there is that.

Now, back to the first para, don't judge him alone on execution because I think a lot of that happened with Linehan but try and evaluate the play called on the circumstances and why the play didn't work instead of that being the wrong play to call in that situation.

And speaking of situation, and I was, I hope Kellen the Young has a better understanding of situational football than his immediate supervisor. And since this is his first real game, will the training wheels be off and Moore in full control? That will also be of interest. If the team struggles offensively, will Garrett let Moore work that out on his own? Will he weigh the play called against execution?

nobody

Reaction score
Sunday night, you can replace that ? with your evaluation of Kellen Moore but in all fairness, judge his plays called against execution.

I am more excited about this opener than I have been in a long time, all because of a first time OC in his first game, we don't get to see this much in the NFL, Moore is about as green as a coach comes. But the challenge for James Bettcher, the Giants DC, who did improve the stats last season as he did in AZ before coming to the Giants in 2018, is that he has nothing to go by, no tendencies shown yet and facing a dual threat QB with some good weapons.

In that regard, the first game Prescott played, their DC at that time went back to his last season at Miss St and what AL, AU and LSU did, he's kind of in the same boat as the DC was in the first game of 2016, only this is with the OC this time. But he has little to go by and preseason gave him nothing except Moore didn't look like this is too big for him. Which is good because the young OC is going to have the bright lights on him unlike any OC before him.

I will watch this game a little differently than in the past when the O is on the field. However, I am not the X's and O's student of the game that some are here so I look forward to their evaluations after the game.

I didn't have to be a student of the game with Linehan, I could predict pretty accurately what he was going to call but I am looking forward to seeing how different Moore calls it in the same situations, particularly on 1st and 3rd downs and in the red zone. I won't even mind some 3rd and longs to see how he calls it.

One thing I am really looking forward to is beginning to answer that question that I've had for 3 seasons. Was Linehan's play calling restricted because of what he saw as QB limitations? Did he play it conservatively because of a lack of trust in the QB to execute certain plays in pressure situations? All I do know is he was a different play caller with Stafford and Romo. Then again, I don't know how many plays Romo changed in the huddle, at the line or once the ball was snapped so there is that.

Now, back to the first para, don't judge him alone on execution because I think a lot of that happened with Linehan but try and evaluate the play called on the circumstances and why the play didn't work instead of that being the wrong play to call in that situation.

And speaking of situation, and I was, I hope Kellen the Young has a better understanding of situational football than his immediate supervisor. And since this is his first real game, will the training wheels be off and Moore in full control? That will also be of interest. If the team struggles offensively, will Garrett let Moore work that out on his own? Will he weigh the play called against execution?

Linehan complained that Romo changed the play way too often for Linehan's taste....so I don't think we can attribute much of Dallas's offensive successes in the Romo years to Linehan given the evidence afterward.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Don't kid yourself. Moore will be on a tight leash this game. I am sure we will see our cookie cutter, establish the run game plan.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Linehan complained that Romo changed the play way too often for Linehan's taste....so I don't think we can attribute much of Dallas's offensive successes in the Romo years to Linehan given the evidence afterward.
I never heard that from him, in fact, I don't remember hearing anything from Linehan. But it would not surprise me as Romo fashions himself as an expert D reader even though out of the game.

nobody

Reaction score
I never heard that from him, in fact, I don't remember hearing anything from Linehan. But it would not surprise me as Romo fashions himself as an expert D reader even though out of the game.

I believe there was an article somewhere stating it....a quote from an anonymous source. People have talked about it on the forums. I have no doubt there is some truth to it.

cern

Reaction score
moore was good enough to call plays designed to get a foundering mike white out of trouble against the texans. excellent playing calling, imo. but as the op said, we must also weigh execution.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don't kid yourself. Moore will be on a tight leash this game. I am sure we will see our cookie cutter, establish the run game plan.
Well, the Cowboys are one of the most run poriented teams in the game and just proved that with a contract. He wasn't promoted to create the wheel, just make it roll better.

This will come down to what they do best. They run block and run the ball far better than they pass block and pass the ball so I would assume him to play to the strengths but hopefully, not be so precictable.

Roy, I am a follow the ball fan and even I could anticipate what Linehan was going to call. Now, what I don't know is were there any other reasons behind that?

The other thing is that most coaches would prefer to stay on the ground as much as possible in the first game to limit mistakes. And it is easier for an OL to run block than pass protect when they're not in 4Q game shape.

I think we get a glimpse of Moore in this game, like a still photo from a movie. By the time he has to take on the Saints and Packers back to back, he should be in full on mode.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I believe there was an article somewhere stating it....a quote from an anonymous source. People have talked about it on the forums. I have no doubt there is some truth to it.
Not questioning that at all and I think Garrett struggled with that as well. Think he would have called 13 run plays against the Skins with Barber? Romo used to get played by the DC's and D signal caller but he was Booger's center ring attraction so Garrett and Linehan had to deal with it.

nobody

Reaction score
moore was good enough to call plays designed to get a foundering mike white out of trouble against the texans. excellent playing calling, imo. but as the op said, we must also weigh execution.

Yeah, his playcalling against the Texans was very good. Maybe he really is an offense guru. I guess we will see. It should be a fun season.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
I think we get a glimpse of Moore in this game, like a still photo from a movie. By the time he has to take on the Saints and Packers back to back, he should be in full on mode.

I want to see Moore in full-on mode Sunday. Any rookie player could be allowed baby steps on the field, but I expect our OC to be ready to go. We've been hearing about how great Moore is for long enough. If he is truly an offensive genius, then we should see these "new wrinkles" on display against the Giants, imo.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Well, the Cowboys are one of the most run poriented teams in the game and just proved that with a contract. He wasn't promoted to create the wheel, just make it roll better.

This will come down to what they do best. They run block and run the ball far better than they pass block and pass the ball so I would assume him to play to the strengths but hopefully, not be so precictable.

Roy, I am a follow the ball fan and even I could anticipate what Linehan was going to call. Now, what I don't know is were there any other reasons behind that?

The other thing is that most coaches would prefer to stay on the ground as much as possible in the first game to limit mistakes. And it is easier for an OL to run block than pass protect when they're not in 4Q game shape.

That's not the way I see any of this. This offense needs to graduate into the 21st century and Moore was hired to do just that. This passing game is ready to take a big leap forward. This should be a balanced offense that can be just as deadly through the air as on the ground. Coming out every week and pounding it up the middle with Zeke will never win us a title.

That being said I wouldn't go away from Zeke either. Needs to be unpredictable.

gmoney112

Reaction score
I finally went back and watched the preseason game our starters played.

It was vanilla, but I thought it was pretty good. The penalties were a destroyer, but he had a good approach in the beginning of that game.

I also liked how he came out with Dak firing downfield. Open it up and let him throw it to begin the game. Get him loose.

There were some pretty good route combos too, on the Gallup TD it was a great call, he had the TE running to the S with 3 in deep zone, and Gallup manned up on a CB where the safeties couldn't get over in time. There was another play that even threw me off initially, even though it was simple, it was just wide open, because of the defensive alignment and soft spot.

Going to be an interesting year.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Kelly the Young and Garrett the Grave in the Death Star will see the Dark Side of the Force from Emperor Jerral without a NFC Championship game appearance. Lurking to take over the Death Star is Lincoln of Riley Sooner than later.

CapnCook

Reaction score
This is all conjecture at a gut level, but...

Linny was done. He mailed it in. His playbook grew stale, and he just didn't have the passion needed to regenerate the creativity. He revitalized with the young Dak, but I think the burn out showed when he was faced with protecting a limited QB with a really crappy left tackle. He was no longer up to the challenges. He should have retired after 2017.

blueblood70

Reaction score

Young and AMESSLESS the new Dallas Drama begins..loll

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I hope we see a real NFL offense finally and not some 1970's middle school offense.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Can I replace the ? now?

• Kellen the "better than Garrett".