Kellen the Young

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don't kid yourself. Moore will be on a tight leash this game. I am sure we will see our cookie cutter, establish the run game plan.

I have zero problem with establishing the run. I'm not sure why, but it seems some fans have the notion that the only way to make changes is to become pass heavy. It would make no sense to have a weapon like Zeke and not use him heavily. I expect Moore to run a balanced offense, just with some differences in pre snap motions, play designs and play calls.

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It doesnt have to revolutionary,just make sure Defenses dont know what the play call is based on formations and personnel and we will improve significantly.
You mean disguising some of our plays so the other team's defense doesn't know what we're doing?? That would be awesome!! :p

visionary

Reaction score
Sunday night, you can replace that ? with your evaluation of Kellen Moore but in all fairness, judge his plays called against execution.

I am more excited about this opener than I have been in a long time, all because of a first time OC in his first game, we don't get to see this much in the NFL, Moore is about as green as a coach comes. But the challenge for James Bettcher, the Giants DC, who did improve the stats last season as he did in AZ before coming to the Giants in 2018, is that he has nothing to go by, no tendencies shown yet and facing a dual threat QB with some good weapons.

In that regard, the first game Prescott played, their DC at that time went back to his last season at Miss St and what AL, AU and LSU did, he's kind of in the same boat as the DC was in the first game of 2016, only this is with the OC this time. But he has little to go by and preseason gave him nothing except Moore didn't look like this is too big for him. Which is good because the young OC is going to have the bright lights on him unlike any OC before him.

I will watch this game a little differently than in the past when the O is on the field. However, I am not the X's and O's student of the game that some are here so I look forward to their evaluations after the game.

I didn't have to be a student of the game with Linehan, I could predict pretty accurately what he was going to call but I am looking forward to seeing how different Moore calls it in the same situations, particularly on 1st and 3rd downs and in the red zone. I won't even mind some 3rd and longs to see how he calls it.

One thing I am really looking forward to is beginning to answer that question that I've had for 3 seasons. Was Linehan's play calling restricted because of what he saw as QB limitations? Did he play it conservatively because of a lack of trust in the QB to execute certain plays in pressure situations? All I do know is he was a different play caller with Stafford and Romo. Then again, I don't know how many plays Romo changed in the huddle, at the line or once the ball was snapped so there is that.

Now, back to the first para, don't judge him alone on execution because I think a lot of that happened with Linehan but try and evaluate the play called on the circumstances and why the play didn't work instead of that being the wrong play to call in that situation.

And speaking of situation, and I was, I hope Kellen the Young has a better understanding of situational football than his immediate supervisor. And since this is his first real game, will the training wheels be off and Moore in full control? That will also be of interest. If the team struggles offensively, will Garrett let Moore work that out on his own? Will he weigh the play called against execution?

I agree with you largely however, will say that while ‘being unpredictable ‘ is important, being prepared is more important

Let’s see how Moore reacts to real in game situations and how much freedom he actually has

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I want to see Moore in full-on mode Sunday. Any rookie player could be allowed baby steps on the field, but I expect our OC to be ready to go. We've been hearing about how great Moore is for long enough. If he is truly an offensive genius, then we should see these "new wrinkles" on display against the Giants, imo.
You won't see many young OC's in full-on mode this weekend just like you didn't see it last night with those two vet callers. The players are not ready.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree with you largely however, will say that while ‘being unpredictable ‘ is important, being prepared is more important

Let’s see how Moore reacts to real in game situations and how much freedom he actually has
How will we know how much freedom he has? Garrett might have the headset on but I don't think it's been plugged in. It's just there for looks.

"Damn Margaret Ann, that there Jason Garrett looks just like a football coach".
"And Harold, you look just like a man".

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Linehan complained that Romo changed the play way too often for Linehan's taste....so I don't think we can attribute much of Dallas's offensive successes in the Romo years to Linehan given the evidence afterward.

Also, the story was that Romo was the guy installing the offensive game plan each week when Butler came in 2015. "The coaches don't coach."

Cowfan75

Reaction score
You won't see many young OC's in full-on mode this weekend just like you didn't see it last night with those two vet callers. The players are not ready.

If our offense comes out looking like either the Bears or Packers, we have bigger problems than OC.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If our offense comes out looking like either the Bears or Packers, we have bigger problems than OC.
Not really, neither Bears nor the Packers is in trouble. And the Giants offense, except for Barkley, may look worse that CHI or GB.

Ring6

StarSchema
Reaction score
I hope he goes no-huddle for a few plays. Right off the bat.

Batman1980

Reaction score
I want to see Moore in full-on mode Sunday. Any rookie player could be allowed baby steps on the field, but I expect our OC to be ready to go. We've been hearing about how great Moore is for long enough. If he is truly an offensive genius, then we should see these "new wrinkles" on display against the Giants, imo.

Dak lines up at WR with Witten at QB as Witten fakes the hand-off to Pollard and lets it go deep to Gallup for 6?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We obviously have different takes on the game last night.
What's your take? Mine is neither offense was ready to play, they couldn't execute the plays and both have plans this year on establishing the run. Nagy and LaFleur are both run first coaches and they wanted to establish that and failed and the passing game wasn't working either. Both teams were rusty and the sloppy play showed they hadn't played any meaningful ball in 9 months.

What it did was showcase preseason for what it is, a money maker for the owners and the HC's are not risking their players and they play fewer starters every year.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
What's your take? Mine is neither offense was ready to play, they couldn't execute the plays and both have plans this year on establishing the run. Nagy and LaFleur are both run first coaches and they wanted to establish that and failed and the passing game wasn't working either. Both teams were rusty and the sloppy play showed they hadn't played any meaningful ball in 9 months.

What it did was showcase preseason for what it is, a money maker for the owners and the HC's are not risking their players and they play fewer starters every year.

My take was neither offense is very good. Mitch looked worse than rusty. Maybe they rebound, but I've seen plenty of teams look good on their first game of the season. I certainly don't expect every team to come out looking like those two clubs.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How will we know how much freedom he has? Garrett might have the headset on but I don't think it's been plugged in. It's just there for looks.

"Damn Margaret Ann, that there Jason Garrett looks just like a football coach".
"And Harold, you look just like a man".
LOL!!

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I have to wonder if the proposed shortened preseason games has anything to do with that?

quickccc

Reaction score
of course we are going to see how Kellen M. unleashes in how he game-planned for the Giants and this season, but I’m also very interested to see how Kellen adapts and makes adjustment during the games, when defenses try to counter and throw something at him in an attempt to confuse and disrupt him ..and the QB.

- and I want to see not only his play-designs (the motion., multi-formations, bunch sets and rub routes, etc) but also how he distributes and balances - - between being aggressive enough in the pass game in challenging, pushing ball at defenses, and in the same sense with leading and mixing with the run.

Even the more aggressive, innovative coaches tend to have such a greedy, itchy finger to use the pass game to go after and attack defenses that they tend to abandon the run at times.
Being a very eager, 1st time OC novice , it’s going to be interesting to see both his attempt at creativity as well as his learning on the run growing pains.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Moore could certainly help overcome Garrett's weaknesses in the thinking department.

I'm really excited about him, too.