CFZ Kelvin Joseph in the Slot, Other Thoughts on Jacksonville Preseason Game

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
4th corners have to play special teams, and KJ is very good at that. His roster spot would be locked in even if he wasn't a 2nd round pick.
That’s what I’m thinking as well. To me I replace him with Goodwin and let Goodwin go. As of now out of all those young cbs Joseph plays special teams the best and if Bones wants him that’s gonna solidified his spot and let him develop for another year.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Wright is by far a better player than Joseph. Anybody saying otherwise has an agenda. It's amazing how people spend so much time on the Cowboys enough to post here and still not know what they're watching.
I wouldn’t say “by far” neither has shown much in the regular season. Joseph has the edge because he can play special teams. But last I heard Wright was having a good camp. Depends on how many corners they keep. If it’s 6……Gilmore, Diggs, Bland, Lewis, Wright, Joseph and Scott. Maybe they get creative and put Lewis on the pup?

stilltheguru

Reaction score
I wouldn’t say “by far” neither has shown much in the regular season. Joseph has the edge because he can play special teams. But last I heard Wright was having a good camp. Depends on how many corners they keep. If it’s 6……Gilmore, Diggs, Bland, Lewis, Wright, Joseph and Scott. Maybe they get creative and put Lewis on the pup?
I think it's by far. Joseph is terrible to me. Wright got beat in the regular season but atleast he was competing and making plays. Joseph didn't make a single play last year as a cb. Not ONE. he's not even a jag

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd much rather keep Joseph over a complete bum like Nahshon Wright but until Jordan Lewis comes back I'd say the #4 corner should be Mukuamu. It isn't but it should be.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I think it's by far. Joseph is terrible to me. Wright got beat in the regular season but atleast he was competing and making plays. Joseph didn't make a single play last year as a cb. Not ONE. he's not even a jag
I mean you’re discussing two jags though. No matter how you feel about Joseph or Wright they are having the same career. They gave both a chance to start last year and both failed. One was a second rounder and one was a 3rd. We find ourselves with essentially the same player. I’m rooting for both. Hope they both find their way on this team. But with special teams that’s how Joseph is gonna find his place on this team. And they have him playing slot. That tells me they’re trying to find a spot on this team for him. Wright as an outside corner….some stuff completion. He’s gonna need a injury or two.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Take his last two games. One FF in San Fran, and looked pretty sharp covering from the slot. He's at least a viable backup at those positions, and a starter on ST.

He makes the roster easy IMO.

I was clamoring to play him in the slot or at safety last year. They finally came around to my thinking on it. lol

For the record, I'm not against small players. I mean, I was relatively small.

That's the issue with him though. Go look at how hard he got drilled on that last play. Then look at that fumble. NFL players are going to toss him around. Deuce is a little different because he's more compact and has more strength for his size.

Several guys on this roster can return. Dowdle looked good on his return. But he's the other player who fumbled. I'd have to look at his college tape to see if he's prone to fumbling, which I admittedly haven't done. But he gives you a returner and a 3rd RB.

That said, I still want to see more of Luepke. Most know Vaughn will be a decent player in the NFL, if not good, and possibly great-ish. Like I said, I'm not totally against small players. It's the fumbling thing that concerns me.

It's preseason. Don't get me wrong. I like Turpin enough. I just fear he's going to turn it over more than we'd like to see.
Turpin's problem on the fumble is that he didn't cover the ball with two hands in traffic. He chose to try to cut up through the traffic instead of going around and has to understand if he's going to do that, he has to cover up until he gets clear. I figure that was probably drilled into his head afterward.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I'd much rather keep Joseph over a complete bum like Nahshon Wright but until Jordan Lewis comes back I'd say the #4 corner should be Mukuamu. It isn't but it should be.
Honestly, I suspect the position we go long at this year will be corner. You can stash guys like McKeon on the PS.

Or he can sprain his ankle after pre-season. Lots of these guys go on IR, things like that, right? You kinda give the veterans like Fehoko priority over, say, Cropper, because SImi has more experience, and has already been the injured reserve guy.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Overshown and Kearse are essentially the same size. Overshown can play near the LOS. Obviously not at MLB but he can play the strong safety/hybrid role that Kearse plays.

Jayron Kearse is 6'4" 215 lbs.
DeMarvion Overshown is 6'2 220 lbs
Combine measurement was 6-2 5/8 229

gimmesix

Reaction score
What would that agenda be? Sounds kinda silly to me.
He said in the postgame thread that he didn't like Joseph's demeanor and that his pass breakup was "a hint away" from being pass interference. If anyone has an agenda, it's him. We should criticize Joseph (or any player) when he plays poorly and recognize it when he did not. Against Jacksonville, Joseph did not play poorly. He was effective when he was targeted (which was not much) and did not make any mistakes that I can recall.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
To validate pre-draft thoughts like most of yall do on here. It's the reason some cling to Grier being better than Rush when it's CLEARLY false.
This is silly. You can speculate and all of that. But you have to go with what you see with your eyes, as things unfold.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
One thing to consider is we're going WCO. So guys like Stephens become more valuable than guys like McKeon, imo.

I also suspect this is more of a passing team than people realize. We want to run the ball, in the playoffs, against the right teams. So the passing game will be important to setting up the run.

True, we ran a lot last year.

Also true, a lot of people knew when we were going to run.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
One thing to consider is we're going WCO. So guys like Stephens become more valuable than guys like McKeon, imo.

I also suspect this is more of a passing team than people realize. We want to run the ball, in the playoffs, against the right teams. So the passing game will be important to setting up the run.

True, we ran a lot last year.

Also true, a lot of people knew when we were going to run.
McKeon has been the FB though. McCarthy & the WCO likes FBs.

gimmesix

Reaction score
PFF liked what Joseph did.

I'd say for the corner position overall in that game, it would be fair for Joseph to be the highest-rated. Of course, it was a limited sample.

Surprised that Gallimore was rated that highly. Need to go back and watch him more closely. Same with those interior lineman.

A player I'm really looking forward to going back and watching is Waletzko on the line. I tried to pay close attention to him during the game, and saw some good things, but I'm never able to isolate my focus during a game because I want to see the result of the play rather than the result of one player's efforts.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Some have an agenda about claiming others have an agenda, apparently.
I've been known for admitting when I'm wrong about a player. If that bum decides to make me eat my words ill gladly do it. As of today he's worse than a JAG. that's the facts

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
the knock on overshown is his size. at 220, he will have a tough time playing close to LOS. he is a sideline to sideline player, and blitz. he is a hybrid saftey/LB that quinn likes. Clark has speed and better size to play the run and close to LOS. I can't see overshown taking over clark. they each have a different role. I don't see Overshown as a 1st or 2nd down player as he is way too undersized.
Overshown made a huge stop on 3rd and short and stopped Tank from getting the first down.... At the line of scrimmage. He might be light but he packed a punch and stopped Tank dead in his tracks