CFZ Kelvin Joseph in the Slot, Other Thoughts on Jacksonville Preseason Game

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I'd much rather keep Joseph over a complete bum like Nahshon Wright but until Jordan Lewis comes back I'd say the #4 corner should be Mukuamu. It isn't but it should be.
Mukuamu looked good last year, if i recall. Looks like he's always ready.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I've been known for admitting when I'm wrong about a player. If that bum decides to make me eat my words ill gladly do it. As of today he's worse than a JAG. that's the facts
Jury still out. If you're honest with yourself, there's really not much to go off of.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I was looking for something to hang my hat on with Kelvin Joseph.

Number one, we know he can play STs well. Joseph was the most clutch player from last year. in the most clutch time with his FF on special teams. In my view, Bones saved this guy's career last year.

We also know he gave up a play or two against Jacksonville last year. But that was while playing on the outside. This year, playing from the slot, Joseph had at least one pass broken up, which couldn't have been played any better than it was played. The knock on him was finding the ball as it was in route. Well, he found it and batted it down.

I know some are still itching to cut Joseph. But I don't think you can. If you cut Joseph, who plays gunner? Who can play slot in a pinch? Say we need Bland to move to the outside if Gilmore or Diggs gets hurt, who plays slot? The injured Jourdan Lewis?

Who can also play outside and safety in a pinch?

Love him or hate him, Joseph provides top-notch special teams play, and can fill in as a back up at several positions. That's value.

Moving on now, let's talk about Rico Dowdle. His fumble wasn't as concerning to me as Turpin's fumble. I agree that Vaughn looks ready to roll. But I want to see more Rico Dowdle. For whatever reason last year, they didn't play Malik Davis in the playoffs. So, if you won't play a player in the playoffs, why even add him to the 53? I liked Dowdle's special teams return, and some of his runs looked pretty solid, outside of that fumble. I was sad we didn't see more of Luepke, and sad to see one of my favorite RBs from last year Qadree Ollison playing for the Jags. I take it he went over there with the RB coach. Oh well. You can't add every pet cat to the roster.

I was happy to see Turpin making a few plays. But he demonstrated the one thing I feared all along with him. NFL players are big, even the safeties and CBs are much bigger than Turpin. So, hanging on to the ball will be tough for him in the NFL. I suspect the Cowboys will roll with Turp. But I won't be surprised if we somehow look to replace him or reduce his role as the season goes on. On that same token, his role could increase if he figures out a way to hang on to the ball.

Jalen Tolbert showed a marked improvement. I was high on him last year, then my excitement sort of waned. Apparently, he's got game enough game for the NFL, though. He ran a crisp route and scored around traffic, which is encouraging. I'm also pretty sure that out of bounds call was actually a catch. Kudos for Tolbert. That is exciting.

Overshown. If we have one rookie who is over shown this year, well, I hope it's Overshown. I predict he beats out Damone Clark eventually, although Clark himself didn't look too bad. Harper also looked decent, but I just don't see him in a starting role. More of a backup/ST role, if he makes the 53.

My boy Jalen Brooks was sort of shut down. I didn't see much of Jalen Cropper. So Tolbert wins the Jalen battle round 1.

Mazi Smith wasn't all that noticeable, but he did exactly what we drafted him to do: helped stop the run.

There's a lot more, obviously, but I'm sure many will already squeal about the wordcount. So that's that. My first write up for the 2023 season. The 2023 offseason seemed to fly by now that it's here, and I'm glad it's here.
They didn't play Davis in the playoffs because apparently he was throwing fits bout not getting carries so they moved on

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
That’s what I’m thinking as well. To me I replace him with Goodwin and let Goodwin go. As of now out of all those young cbs Joseph plays special teams the best and if Bones wants him that’s gonna solidified his spot and let him develop for another year.
I won't be surprised if Goodwin ends up being placed on the PS again and then brought back to the 53 when someone goes on IR. We can bring him up for three games before we have to do that, and we know based on the last few years that we're not in any real danger of losing him when we move him to the PS. Every team knows he's just a special-teammer.

However, I do think Goodwin is the better special-teammer because he plays smart. Joseph has had some boneheaded glitches.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Overshown made a huge stop on 3rd and short and stopped Tank from getting the first down.... At the line of scrimmage. He might be light but he packed a punch and stopped Tank dead in his tracks
He made a great play. A tackle. But getting off blocks is harder. And can he do it consistently

At the end of the day he is 220. Some CBs are bigger and a lot of safeties are bigger.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I won't be surprised if Goodwin ends up being placed on the PS again and then brought back to the 53 when someone goes on IR. We can bring him up for three games before we have to do that, and we know based on the last few years that we're not in any real danger of losing him when we move him to the PS. Every team knows he's just a special-teammer.

However, I do think Goodwin is the better special-teammer because he plays smart. Joseph has had some boneheaded glitches.
Goodwin is better but I’m not a fan of just signing guys who can only play special teams. Joseph showed some growth in both positions.

Scotman

Reaction score
I would feel great about Joseph if he had been a 5th or 6th round pick. I'd love for him to live up to his over-drafted 2nd round status. All of that said, I feel better about him now that I did when we picked him. I didn't think he would ever play a down for us.

Creeper

Reaction score
Joseph did not get a lot of playing time. I don't know what that means for him, but I think he stays to see the end of his rookie contract. After that, I don't know. They have kept CJ Goodwin on the roster for years just to be a special teams player. Perhaps they keep Joseph and let CJ go. It all comes down to Joseph not making any stupid mistakes, as he has been prone to do at times. If he keeps it clean he can be a special teams guy and backup DB. I do think he is a better CB that Goodwin.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
He made a great play. A tackle. But getting off blocks is harder. And can he do it consistently

At the end of the day he is 220. Some CBs are bigger and a lot of safeties are bigger.
We have seen Dan Quinn's scheme turn 220 lb safety-LB tweeners into tackle machines over and over again. Bam Bam Kam, Deion Jones, Neal, Dono, Kearse....

Overshown's lack of size might be an issue in some defenses. But in Quinn's, it just isn't a problem.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Goodwin is better but I’m not a fan of just signing guys who can only play special teams. Joseph showed some growth in both positions.
I think early in the season, Goodwin is just a chess piece. You put him on the practice squad those first few weeks so you don't risk anyone you want to keep to waivers. Bring him up for special teams the first three weeks and then sign him to the roster the fourth week if a spot comes open.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Joseph did not get a lot of playing time. I don't know what that means for him, but I think he stays to see the end of his rookie contract. After that, I don't know. They have kept CJ Goodwin on the roster for years just to be a special teams player. Perhaps they keep Joseph and let CJ go. It all comes down to Joseph not making any stupid mistakes, as he has been prone to do at times. If he keeps it clean he can be a special teams guy and backup DB. I do think he is a better CB that Goodwin.
I did notice on rewatch that he was in initially very briefly and then he suddenly wasn't, and I believe Mukuamu was playing the slot instead and had a tough time with it in this one. I don't know if Joseph got hurt or if it was some kind of discipline thing (such as for doing something incorrect when he was out there or some kind of violation). He did come back in later, though, and played well.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I think early in the season, Goodwin is just a chess piece. You put him on the practice squad those first few weeks so you don't risk anyone you want to keep to waivers. Bring him up for special teams the first three weeks and then sign him to the roster the fourth week if a spot comes open.
Makes sense.

jrumann59

Reaction score
I was looking for something to hang my hat on with Kelvin Joseph.

Number one, we know he can play STs well. Joseph was the most clutch player from last year. in the most clutch time with his FF on special teams. In my view, Bones saved this guy's career last year.

We also know he gave up a play or two against Jacksonville last year. But that was while playing on the outside. This year, playing from the slot, Joseph had at least one pass broken up, which couldn't have been played any better than it was played. The knock on him was finding the ball as it was in route. Well, he found it and batted it down.

I know some are still itching to cut Joseph. But I don't think you can. If you cut Joseph, who plays gunner? Who can play slot in a pinch? Say we need Bland to move to the outside if Gilmore or Diggs gets hurt, who plays slot? The injured Jourdan Lewis?

Who can also play outside and safety in a pinch?

Love him or hate him, Joseph provides top-notch special teams play, and can fill in as a back up at several positions. That's value.

Moving on now, let's talk about Rico Dowdle. His fumble wasn't as concerning to me as Turpin's fumble. I agree that Vaughn looks ready to roll. But I want to see more Rico Dowdle. For whatever reason last year, they didn't play Malik Davis in the playoffs. So, if you won't play a player in the playoffs, why even add him to the 53? I liked Dowdle's special teams return, and some of his runs looked pretty solid, outside of that fumble. I was sad we didn't see more of Luepke, and sad to see one of my favorite RBs from last year Qadree Ollison playing for the Jags. I take it he went over there with the RB coach. Oh well. You can't add every pet cat to the roster.

I was happy to see Turpin making a few plays. But he demonstrated the one thing I feared all along with him. NFL players are big, even the safeties and CBs are much bigger than Turpin. So, hanging on to the ball will be tough for him in the NFL. I suspect the Cowboys will roll with Turp. But I won't be surprised if we somehow look to replace him or reduce his role as the season goes on. On that same token, his role could increase if he figures out a way to hang on to the ball.

Jalen Tolbert showed a marked improvement. I was high on him last year, then my excitement sort of waned. Apparently, he's got game enough game for the NFL, though. He ran a crisp route and scored around traffic, which is encouraging. I'm also pretty sure that out of bounds call was actually a catch. Kudos for Tolbert. That is exciting.

Overshown. If we have one rookie who is over shown this year, well, I hope it's Overshown. I predict he beats out Damone Clark eventually, although Clark himself didn't look too bad. Harper also looked decent, but I just don't see him in a starting role. More of a backup/ST role, if he makes the 53.

My boy Jalen Brooks was sort of shut down. I didn't see much of Jalen Cropper. So Tolbert wins the Jalen battle round 1.

Mazi Smith wasn't all that noticeable, but he did exactly what we drafted him to do: helped stop the run.

There's a lot more, obviously, but I'm sure many will already squeal about the wordcount. So that's that. My first write up for the 2023 season. The 2023 offseason seemed to fly by now that it's here, and I'm glad it's here.
A FF in the playoffs does not make up for a handful of ST penalties during last season plus the bad CB play.

Creeper

Reaction score
I did notice on rewatch that he was in initially very briefly and then he suddenly wasn't, and I believe Mukuamu was playing the slot instead and had a tough time with it in this one. I don't know if Joseph got hurt or if it was some kind of discipline thing (such as for doing something incorrect when he was out there or some kind of violation). He did come back in later, though, and played well.
It looked like he got hurt breaking up one pass play and went out. Then he can back for a few plays later. I don't think getting hurt is a good thing for him if he is already on thin ice.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
We have seen Dan Quinn's scheme turn 220 lb safety-LB tweeners into tackle machines over and over again. Bam Bam Kam, Deion Jones, Neal, Dono, Kearse....

Overshown's lack of size might be an issue in some defenses. But in Quinn's, it just isn't a problem.
I don't disagree. but it takes Quinn type of defense. he has special roles and type of players he want on the DL, LB and then his hybrids and his CBs.....with most of the pieces in place, then those type of players can have an important role.