Kelvin Joseph over Jeremiah Owusu Koramoah

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
And then 6 years later when you see that LB in the Pro Bowl every year you can remind yourself you didn't select him because you had just signed a vet to a short term deal.

This is why you don't approach the draft like it's veteran free agency. One's to plug holes. The other's to acquire talent for your future.
And if Joseph is in multiple Pro Bowls?

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Joseph has gave us no reason to regret our selection yet.

In fact he’s a high upside player.

Talented guy, I think he will be boom or bust. Always thought of this as a red shirt season, didn't think he would be ready to instantly contribute.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Folks are also forgetting we signed Neal prior to the draft. I imagine JOK would have played the same role so the FO may have thought he would have been redundant. It’s easy to look back in hindsight and say different but these are all factors that go into personnel decisions/roster building.
If signing Neal had any effect on how Dallas drafted, every person involved should be fired. But it didn't.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I wanted Samuel Jr in the second round. Pedigree.

I’d rather have Joseph. Better talent.

Only reason we got him where we did is because he was a knucklehead in college.

He’s a 1st round talent.

1 of the few guys who didn’t get torched by Mac Jones and Devonta Smith.

Also, every major college in the country wanted him including Alabama. He went to LSU and got kicked out for who knows what.

To me.. This is a better corner than Diggs coming out of college.

FiveSuperBowls

Reaction score
At a minimum, Joseph needs to get back on the field as a special teams players and play a support role on defense. We will find out next year if he was the right pick.

Vets and rookies miss playing time for many reasons, go check it out. When a player is not on the field, it doesn't mean the player was/is a bust.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Talented guy, I think he will be boom or bust. Always thought of this as a red shirt season, didn't think he would be ready to instantly contribute.

If not for the groin injury he’d probably be started or seeing significant playing time.

Oh well. He should be a good player for us going forward.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
And then 6 years later when you see that LB in the Pro Bowl every year you can remind yourself you didn't select him because you had just signed a vet to a short term deal.

This is why you don't approach the draft like it's veteran free agency. One's to plug holes. The other's to acquire talent for your future.

We didn’t fill the need at CB in free agency this past off-season.

They were expecting to fill the need at CB w/either Horn or Surtain. They can rightfully be criticized for pigeon-holing themselves heading into the draft.

btcutter

Reaction score
Another example of why you don't reach for positional need. JOK had a health issue which caused him to slip but it's relatively mild nothing like Jaylon Smith. I think he would have been an excellent scheme fit. LVE and Keanu Neal likely won't be back next season.

Imaging if Dallas took LBs with both 1st and 2nd round picks........

Who would not be thinking JJ is insane? Everyone would be calling for franchise to be reorganized.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Another example of why you don't reach for positional need. JOK had a health issue which caused him to slip but it's relatively mild nothing like Jaylon Smith. I think he would have been an excellent scheme fit. LVE and Keanu Neal likely won't be back next season.
The issue with Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah was long-term health as an undersized LB.
- He was 6-1, 221 in pre-draft measurements.
- He reportedly played at about 212 in college.

He has already missed 3 games of 12 (25%).

All teams knew that he was a great college player. If any team didn't have concerns about his long-term health, there is no doubt he would have been a 1st round pick.

MichiganCowboyFan

Reaction score
And C. Golston isn't "just awful". He's a 3rd round rookie. Remember how Tyrone Crawford looked in 2012? Just awful is pretty fair judging from that as well. That's who Golston was drafted to replace and potentially even be an upgrade on.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Let's see what he looks like next year before regretting the pick.

His size, speed, and athleticism are off the charts as is his upside.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At a minimum, Joseph needs to get back on the field as a special teams players and play a support role on defense. We will find out next year if he was the right pick.

Vets and rookies miss playing time for many reasons, go check it out. When a player is not on the field, it doesn't mean the player was/is a bust.
Joseph was 2nd in Special Teams snaps played in the Saints game.

He is in the top 5 for ST snaps played since he returned from IR.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Joseph is a special teams baller, has balled out every time he's been asked to play corner this year in the regular season and even took an ejection to defend his teammates in the worst referreed regular season game in NFL history... I think Bossman is a keeper. I think he will be a stud CB2 across from Diggs very very soon. He is very fast, quick, talented and smart as a cornerback. Anthony Brown tries, but he's just not talented enough. Joseph is a baller, he will be a keeper and look like a fantastic pick very very soon.
Good post.

I love it when people pay attention to details instead of just posting their uninformed emotional opinions.

Joseph was 2nd in Special Teams snaps played in the Saints game.

He is in the top 5 for ST snaps played since he returned from IR (He would be

Not including the game when he was ejected, he has averaged 68% of ST snaps.

For reference, ST Ace Goodwin is averaging 66% of ST snaps for the season.

32BellyOption

Reaction score

For me it’s hard to make that evaluation as I need to see more of KJ. Perhaps next year at this time you’ll feel differently. I’d also argue we got a player with the potential to be our JOK in Jabril Cox and we got him a few rounds later. Way too early to evaluate the 2021 draft IMO. I usually give it 2-3 years.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let's see what he looks like next year before regretting the pick.

His size, speed, and athleticism are off the charts as is his upside.
The OP's posting history shows that he only creates threads to cause controversy.
- He only posts in either his own threads or in threads with controversial topics.
- He was well known at another Cowboys message board for extreme trolling.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I was wondering when someone was going to bring this up. JOK was rated as the number 1 linebacker over Parsons by some draftnicks. I heard Cavanaugh and Voch say they would have drafted JOK over Parsons when they did their linebackers breakdown. JOK had a health issue and dropped. I remember another Notre Dame player who dropped because of a health issue.:rolleyes: No way the Cowboys would have drafted him. I think he would have played Kearse’s spot. Kearse and Boss man was and still is the better bet.

Mr_437

Reaction score
What's done is done, JOK is a monster for sure tho. KJ has to be consistently available for his growth. Yes, KJ has played STs, but dude has to learn how to finish...he fell flat on his face attempting to make a tackle on punt.

At CB, I think he'll be ok...too many tools in his skill set.