Kelvin Joseph over Jeremiah Owusu Koramoah

MichiganCowboyFan

Reaction score
I was wondering when someone was going to bring this up. JOK was rated as the number 1 linebacker over Parsons by some draftnicks. I heard Cavanaugh and Voch say they would have drafted JOK over Parsons when they did their linebackers breakdown. JOK had a health issue and dropped. I remember another Notre Dame player who dropped because of a health issue.:rolleyes: No way the Cowboys would have drafted him. I think he would have played Kearse’s spot. Kearse and Boss man was and still is the better bet.
If and only if we re-sign Kearse to a long term contract this offseason. He's more than "proved it".

I wanted to draft Kearse REALLY bad in 2016 out of Clemson... I would have drafted him with the Tapper pick, but he lasted well into the 5th or 6th round IIRC... and was pissed we didn't draft him. Nephew of The Freak Jevon Kearse... golden rule is always draft a legacy if he is available. Just like with Watt over Taco Charlton... ugh. And Minnesota and Dim Zimmer completely wasted Kearse's talents for 4 years in favor of scrubs like Andrew Sendejo. Then again it's the same lousy franchise that paid Kirk Cousins Aaron Rodgers money only to lose out to Rodgers every single year and also lost at home to the Cowboys in back to back years with two different backup Cowboys QBs... and that dim-witted loser is still their head coach. Some franchises are much more incompetent than others.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
After taking Parsons in the 1st round, taking JOK would have been a mistake. The perception of the 2020 defense was they needed upgrades at CB so the Cowboys attempted to take a CB. I think Joseph will be okay for a 2nd round pick. He got derailed by injury so his 1st season may not be what we hoped. But honestly, this Joseph pick getting more criticism that the Wright pick in the 3rd round makes no sense to me. And have you watch Golston play lately? He is just awful.
You are criticizing. a third round pick who had no training camp and forced to play significant snaps because of injuries. :rolleyes::rolleyes::facepalm: Only Cowboys Zone fans. Let’s see what happens when he is next to Gregory and Tank like the Cowboys planned him to play with.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
If not for the groin injury he’d probably be started or seeing significant playing time.

Oh well. He should be a good player for us going forward.

Not sure about playing time, he would probably still be corner #4 with opportunity to elevate as the season went on. He played 9 meaningful games in college, and was very green coming in.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I’d rather have Joseph. Better talent.

Only reason we got him where we did is because he was a knucklehead in college.

He’s a 1st round talent.

1 of the few guys who didn’t get torched by Mac Jones and Devonta Smith.

Also, every major college in the country wanted him including Alabama. He went to LSU and got kicked out for who knows what.

To me.. This is a better corner than Diggs coming out of college.

His draft tape was better then Surtain and Horn. He can play I bet he will get more snaps in the next few weeks.

HanD

Reaction score
I was wondering when someone was going to bring this up. JOK was rated as the number 1 linebacker over Parsons by some draftnicks. I heard Cavanaugh and Voch say they would have drafted JOK over Parsons when they did their linebackers breakdown. JOK had a health issue and dropped. I remember another Notre Dame player who dropped because of a health issue.:rolleyes: No way the Cowboys would have drafted him. I think he would have played Kearse’s spot. Kearse and Boss man was and still is the better bet.

Jok was good but I think he might not have been top rated if Micah played and didn't take a year off. It would have been interesting Micah plays 2020 and jok no injury concerns.

RonWashington

Reaction score
Joseph is a special teams baller, has balled out every time he's been asked to play corner this year in the regular season and even took an ejection to defend his teammates in the worst referreed regular season game in NFL history... I think Bossman is a keeper. I think he will be a stud CB2 across from Diggs very very soon. He is very fast, quick, talented and smart as a cornerback. Anthony Brown tries, but he's just not talented enough. Joseph is a baller, he will be a keeper and look like a fantastic pick very very soon.

I didn’t realize Joseph’s agent lived in Michigan ? Sir how soon will we be seeing KJ “ balling “ on Survivor Island cause this is week 13 coming up and his rookie year is about done .

MichiganCowboyFan

Reaction score
I didn’t realize Joseph’s agent lived in Michigan ? Sir how soon will we be seeing KJ “ balling “ on Survivor Island cause this is week 13 coming up and his rookie year is about done .
I would have thought one more Anthony Brown bad game would have gotten that done, but he played a modestly good game on the surface (IMO, AB actually got beat for 2 separate TDs on 2 separate drives, but the score won't show it because Taysom Hill can't throw) and thus AB survives at the position once more. He's clinging onto it but it's painfully obvious that KJ is better and obviously much more talented than AB, just needs more reps like Diggs got as a rookie.

AB should seriously consider moving to free safety after this year, because he's a good tackler which is his best attribute and his second best attribute is being a ball hawk in zone coverage. Also our two FSs are free agents after this year, though I would keep Hooker on a team friendly deal for a few years if possible. But AB seems like a guy who would be really good at FS, he has ample speed and quicks for the position and is a good tackler and at single high safety he won't be asked to play a lot of man coverage or one-on-ones in general which is his gravest weakness.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Jok was good but I think he might not have been top rated if Micah played and didn't take a year off. It would have been interesting Micah plays 2020 and jok no injury concerns.
Listen nobody thought Parsons would be LT. I think he was one of the players that got downgraded for missing a season while some players went up. NFL teams appeared to want offense in this draft not defense.​

visionary

Reaction score
Joseph is a special teams baller, has balled out every time he's been asked to play corner this year in the regular season and even took an ejection to defend his teammates in the worst referreed regular season game in NFL history... I think Bossman is a keeper. I think he will be a stud CB2 across from Diggs very very soon. He is very fast, quick, talented and smart as a cornerback. Anthony Brown tries, but he's just not talented enough. Joseph is a baller, he will be a keeper and look like a fantastic pick very very soon.

i hope you are correct
We need another CB opposite Diggs

RonWashington

Reaction score
I would have thought one more Anthony Brown bad game would have gotten that done, but he played a modestly good game on the surface (IMO, AB actually got beat for 2 separate TDs on 2 separate drives, but the score won't show it because Taysom Hill can't throw) and thus AB survives at the position once more. He's clinging onto it but it's painfully obvious that KJ is better and obviously much more talented than AB, just needs more reps like Diggs got as a rookie.

AB should seriously consider moving to free safety after this year, because he's a good tackler which is his best attribute and his second best attribute is being a ball hawk in zone coverage. Also our two FSs are free agents after this year, though I would keep Hooker on a team friendly deal for a few years if possible. But AB seems like a guy who would be really good at FS, he has ample speed and quicks for the position and is a good tackler and at single high safety he won't be asked to play a lot of man coverage or one-on-ones in general which is his gravest weakness.

I see nothing from Malik Hooker that makes the Cowboys vaguely interested in 2022 , AB as a safety is interesting . Byron Jones failed at it

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Malik Hooker has not been very good.

If they had a better FS than Kazee, Brown would be better.

I think Joseph can win the starting position in 2022 which means they'll have good depth in 2022 at CB.

It would be interesting to see if Brown has the instincts to play FS.
- Brown is a 10x better tackler than Kazee.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not sure about playing time, he would probably still be corner #4 with opportunity to elevate as the season went on. He played 9 meaningful games in college, and was very green coming in.
Coordinators in their 1st year with a new team tend lean towards veteran players unless the rookie competing with the veteran is leaps and bounds better.

MichiganCowboyFan

Reaction score
Malik Hooker has not been very good.

If they had a better FS than Kazee, Brown would be better.

I think Joseph can win the starting position in 2022 which means they'll have good depth in 2022 at CB.

It would be interesting to see if Brown has the instincts to play FS.
- Brown is a 10x better tackler than Kazee.
Yeah. At FS tackling is much more important than it is at CB and you'll rarely be playing man coverage, only on bring-the-house blitzes really for the most part. Brown still has very good athleticism and football instincts he's just a lousy man to man cover corner that's all.

Kazee has decent ball skills but he's a terrible tackler, I would definitely let him walk. I'd give Hooker a second chance because of the upside and Hooker has been willing to play multiple positions. I don't think he's been bad at all given the opportunities.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Another example of why you don't reach for positional need. JOK had a health issue which caused him to slip but it's relatively mild nothing like Jaylon Smith. I think he would have been an excellent scheme fit. LVE and Keanu Neal likely won't be back next season.

Wanted him bad, much much better player and even greater upside than Neal.

Cannot teach instincts, speed or aggression.

Should have been the pick, even after taking Parsons.

And still would have taken Cox as well.

Cowboys were going BPA so should have gone all the way with it.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
And then 6 years later when you see that LB in the Pro Bowl every year you can remind yourself you didn't select him because you had just signed a vet to a short term deal.

This is why you don't approach the draft like it's veteran free agency. One's to plug holes. The other's to acquire talent for your future.

TRUTH

MichiganCowboyFan

Reaction score
Wanted him bad, much much better player and even greater upside than Neal.

Cannot teach instincts, speed or aggression.

Should have been the pick, even after taking Parsons.

And still would have taken Cox as well.

Cowboys were going BPA so should have gone all the way with it.
Joseph was arguably BPA though and had been for about 5-10+ picks. It's the baggage that made him fall. That LB on the Browns would have been nice too but you're choosing from a player with a history of pissing off coaches vs. a guy with an injury history and after the Jaylon Smith fiasco I think the Cowboys went with the right "dicey" pick.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Another example of why you don't reach for positional need.
Especially at corner.

I doubt he was a consideration for us though.

Can you imagine how it would have worked out if we took a player from Smith's alma mater to replace him?