Kerry Hyder is really muddling things up

Verdict

Reaction score
They carried Lance Lenoir on the 53 the 2nd half of the season as one of 7 WRs.

Roster spots are easier to find during the season than on cut day.

That’s true. If he became active mid season it would be easier to fit him in without cutting someone of consequence. What happens though if he is eligible game 1 and we have to fit him on the initial 53, and then he gets suspended again after a few games?

I’m not arguing against your point. I agree with everything you have said. The problem as I see it with Gregory is you pretty much have to pretend he’s not on the team when you build your roster because there is always the chance he will be suspended.

That can reasonably be done with one guy like that, but if we had him and Irving and a couple of others, that poses real problems with position allocation.

I suspect we will go light at some other position to make a spot for Gregory, and keep a backup to him that we wouldn’t normally have to plan for if he wasn’t a suspension risk.

I will say this though, he’s a bargain for his cap hit vs quality of player. So he has that going for him.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
what a great problem to have. If Hyder can come in a push for a spot then great if it mean someone has to go because they can't match his play then great.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That’s true. If he became active mid season it would be easier to fit him in without cutting someone of consequence. What happens though if he is eligible game 1 and we have to fit him on the initial 53, and then he gets suspended again after a few games?
That sums up my point that it's better if he returns during the season as compared to no suspension.

Even a 1 game suspension can help because players that need to be moved to IR must be on the initial 53 in order to be eligible to return.

Last year they cut veteran WR Thompson (not subject to waivers), then moved WR Brown to IR then re-signed Thompson.

Thompson ended up starting 4 games and playing significant snaps in all the games prior to the trade for Cooper. They could have lost him on cut day but a 1 game suspension by another player would have prevented the need to cut Thompson.

In 2017 they had two DL suspended for the first 4 games. By the time they returned 2 other DL that were on the 53 had already gone to IR. The team had just carried the minimum 8 DL on the 53 because the two suspended DL didn't count against the 53.

Obviously we don't want DLaw to be one of the suspended players (or Dak, Zeke, etc..) but players like Gregory or Irving/D.Moore in 2017 can actually benefit the team by being suspended for a few games to start the season.

I'm sure coaches would never say it's beneficial for players to be suspended but it make the GM's job a bit easier if it's not irreplaceable players.

Obviously Gregory does nothing for the team if he is suspended all season; although he'll won't gain a year towards true free agency unless he is on the roster for at least 6 games.

At this rate the NFL might eliminate testing for weed before Gregory becomes an unrestricted free agent. I think the players will demand it during the next CBA negotiations. The NFL will give in if it means the players give in on money issues. The CBA expires after the 2020 season.

Verdict

Reaction score
That sums up my point that it's better if he returns during the season as compared to no suspension.

Even a 1 game suspension can help because players that need to be moved to IR must be on the initial 53 in order to be eligible to return.

Last year they cut veteran WR Thompson (not subject to waivers), then moved WR Brown to IR then re-signed Thompson.

Thompson ended up starting 4 games and playing significant snaps in all the games prior to the trade for Cooper. They could have lost him on cut day but a 1 game suspension by another player would have prevented the need to cut Thompson.

In 2017 they had two DL suspended for the first 4 games. By the time they returned 2 other DL that were on the 53 had already gone to IR. The team had just carried the minimum 8 DL on the 53 because the two suspended DL didn't count against the 53.

Obviously we don't want DLaw to be one of the suspended players (or Dak, Zeke, etc..) but players like Gregory or Irving/D.Moore in 2017 can actually benefit the team by being suspended for a few games to start the season.

I'm sure coaches would never say it's beneficial for players to be suspended but it make the GM's job a bit easier if it's not irreplaceable players.

Obviously Gregory does nothing for the team if he is suspended all season; although he'll won't gain a year towards true free agency unless he is on the roster for at least 6 games.

At this rate the NFL might eliminate testing for weed before Gregory becomes an unrestricted free agent. I think the players will demand it during the next CBA negotiations. The NFL will give in if it means the players give in on money issues. The CBA expires after the 2020 season.

That’s spot on. The timing of the suspension (or lack thereof) is crucial. If he’s active and not suspended at the cut down to 53, it puts the team in a significant bind on losing a player they want to keep on the 53 in his absence. These things generally work against the Cowboys.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That’s spot on. The timing of the suspension (or lack thereof) is crucial. If he’s active and not suspended at the cut down to 53, it puts the team in a significant bind on losing a player they want to keep on the 53 in his absence. These things generally work against the Cowboys.

I don't see much chance of him not being suspended for some games.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I feel for Gregory but if it were my call he would be gone. If you can't depend or count of a player then you are wasting time. I think Cowboys have been more than fair with Gregory only to see him screw up again and again. I just wish Cowboys would move on from him.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

You do run the risk of losing a player to waivers, but there always seems to be someone like Thompson you can afford to lose.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Hyder is young,hungry, and has some talent. Best quality he has is AVAILIBILITY. The guy is a lunch pail hard worker. He's a better version of George Selvie. I see him getting 6,7 sacks for us this year and being a key starter...yes I said starter. I don't trust Crawford....and we all know about Gregory. Taco is Taco and may get cut.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You do run the risk of losing a player to waivers, but there always seems to be someone like Thompson you can afford to lose.
Yes, they obviously told Thompson they would re-sign him immediately since as a veteran he is not subject to being claimed on waivers (anytime before the trade deadline).

Another team would have needed to over-pay him and he was only off the team less than 48 hours.

The risk was short term in that he had learned the offense and they needed him more early in the season. Even without the Cooper trade Gallup developed into a legit starter as the season progressed and Brown returned from IR after 8 weeks.

They did lose DT Brian Price because they kept Datone Jones at the initial cut in order to move him to IR. It was not a big loss because the Raiders cut Price 2 weeks later and the Cowboys didn't sign him back. He ended up on the Browns PS.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Yes, they obviously told Thompson they would re-sign him immediately since as a veteran he is not subject to being claimed on waivers (anytime before the trade deadline).

Another team would have needed to over-pay him and he was only off the team less than 48 hours.

The risk was short term in that he had learned the offense and they needed him more early in the season. Even without the Cooper trade Gallup developed into a legit starter as the season progressed and Brown returned from IR after 8 weeks.

They did lose DT Brian Price because they kept Datone Jones at the initial cut in order to move him to IR. It was not a big loss because the Raiders cut Price 2 weeks later and the Cowboys didn't sign him back. He ended up on the Browns PS.

Yes, I think we were expecting to be able to re-sign Price. However, the risk was minimal because he really didn't show much in the preseason. There will be some like that this season. Bottom-of-the-roster guys we hope to re-sign but can tolerate losing. Maybe someone like Hurns, since we'd like to have him for less anyway.

If Elliott isn't suspended, it could be the third RB (Weber, Jackson) if we decide to keep one, although if they clear waivers we may just put one of them on the practice squad. Might end up being an option for the roster, though, if we end up losing a non-PS-eligible player in the transition.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, I think we were expecting to be able to re-sign Price. However, the risk was minimal because he really didn't show much in the preseason. There will be some like that this season. Bottom-of-the-roster guys we hope to re-sign but can tolerate losing. Maybe someone like Hurns, since we'd like to have him for less anyway.

If Elliott isn't suspended, it could be the third RB (Weber, Jackson) if we decide to keep one, although if they clear waivers we may just put one of them on the practice squad. Might end up being an option for the roster, though, if we end up losing a non-PS-eligible player in the transition.

I'm curious if Crawford will get suspended for the bar brawl.

They could cut Hurns and tell him it will be a couple of weeks before they re-sign him. He might not be 100% by game 1 after the nasty injury he had.

Jimmy did something like that a couple of times; although neither the team or player generally say that's how it happened.

Last edited:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

They could cut Hurns and tell him it will be a couple of weeks before they re-sign him. He might not be 100% by game 1 after the nasty injury he had.

Jimmy did something like that a couple of times; although neither the team or player generally say that's how it happened.
@gimmesix
Adding to my previous post...

It was after Jimmy but that's more/less what happened with Derek Kennard. He said he was retiring after training camp in 1995 but he returned for 9 regular season games including 4 starts and then started all of the post season games including the Super Bowl.

Kennard did it again in 1996 returning for game 16 and 2 post season games.

gimmesix

Reaction score

I think he will since he was charged and there's video of him clearly striking and pushing security. It's definitely worse than the Elliott incident.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think he will since he was charged and there's video of him clearly striking and pushing security. It's definitely worse than the Elliott incident.

Hopefully that is determined before the season starts.

I hope during the next CBA negotiations that the players demand that suspensions like these be decided before the season starts or they have to wait until the following off-season.

The way the Zeke suspension played out was the worst possible scenario. I know part of that was due to appeals but the suspensions should be handed out with plenty of time to appeal before the season starts.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Hopefully that is determined before the season starts.

I hope during the next CBA negotiations that the players demand that suspensions like these be decided before the season starts or they have to wait until the following off-season.

The way the Zeke suspension played out was the worst possible scenario. I know part of that was due to appeals but the suspensions should be handed out with plenty of time to appeal before the season starts.

I agree. In fact, I'd go as far as before the preseason starts as long as the infraction happened before the summer. Teams shouldn't have to wait until the last minute to adjust for a suspension.