Kerry Hyder is really muddling things up

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Remember Crawford is suspended for the brawl.

I didn't remember that. Thanks. That's a very good point. Same on Gregory's suspension.

Suspended is reserve roster for the 53 cut. People get very upset about suspensions, but it has the benefit of keeping the rights to more players on final cuts.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I grant your point on Quinn on run defense. I read last night Marinelli praising Quinn's run defense. That makes him a credible starting RDE in the base.

You're showing Covington with a very limited role. I don't think it's enough. He's the guy on the bubble. Good chance Ross bumps him.

I don't see it that way with Covington. He's a stouter run defender than what we had (Ross, Reid, Collins, Crawford), so I think he's a direct reaction to our failures at stopping the run against the Rams. However, he also has shown some ability to get after the passer. I think he becomes a valuable piece for the defense, like Terrell McClain was when healthy.

He and Woods form a stronger middle when teams try to run on us, with Covington also being able to rush the passer if the opponent passes instead. Then, he can alternate in some for Woods as well.

I think this was a nice find by the scouting department of a 3-4 role player who might be an even better fit in the 4-3. Now, it's possible that he could turn into another Cedric Thornton, but I think there are reasons to believe he won't. Lots of upside here.

exciter

Reaction score
I'd love to see stats that support this claim? How "dominant" was he out there against the Rams in the playoffs? Try a complete liability.

Yep, and all of those have had to be manufactured by scheme design! Every one of his 2018 sacks came because the scheme used stunts to free him up. None of them were the result of Crawford actually defeating the man in front of him.

You're talking with someone who's done his homework on the subject.
Lol! Apparently you need a tudor

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I don't see it that way with Covington. He's a stouter run defender than what we had (Ross, Reid, Collins, Crawford), so I think he's a direct reaction to our failures at stopping the run against the Rams. However, he also has shown some ability to get after the passer. I think he becomes a valuable piece for the defense, like Terrell McClain was when healthy.

He and Woods form a stronger middle when teams try to run on us, with Covington also being able to rush the passer if the opponent passes instead. Then, he can alternate in some for Woods as well.

I think this was a nice find by the scouting department of a 3-4 role player who might be an even better fit in the 4-3. Now, it's possible that he could turn into another Cedric Thornton, but I think there are reasons to believe he won't. Lots of upside here.
At least in Covington's case all his experience prior to being drafted by the Texans was in a 4-3 and Marinelli was reported to have wanted him in that draft.

kskboys

Reaction score

His height/weight ratio is much better for inside than Thornton.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I'm excited to see Covington. Marinelli has had pretty good luck in the past dumpster-diving for 1 techs.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Marinelli wants guys who get penetration. Rushmen, not rundefensemen. We've finally got a truly capable 1tech. We still have Collins, who played 1tech for us. I don't see Marinelli spending another roster spot on a rundefenseman. And less so on a veteran 1 year rental than maybe Ross.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I like muddling a slice of apple into my bourbon for my Manhattans...
So maybe this is a good thing?

LOL -- from the sound of it, it must be a good thing!!

Hell, I'm getting a buzz just from listening to you. :)

Johnny23

Reaction score
I didn't remember that. Thanks. That's a very good point. Same on Gregory's suspension.

Suspended is reserve roster for the 53 cut. People get very upset about suspensions, but it has the benefit of keeping the rights to more players on final cuts.
Yep. I am excited to see the defensive line position battle in the preseason.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Like I said, unless they can play it off in a trade, I don't see them moving on from him after only 2 seasons. He'll get this year and probably next if Garrett is still the coach. Staff doesn't much like admitting even to themselves they were wrong!
High draft picks always get the nurture.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Gregory ain’t going anywhere, those that count love him plus having God given talent that he has certainly provides a longer leash. He smokes weed, the whole freaking works is smoking weed and the nfl is about 25 years late to the party.

The problem is Gregory has smoked too much weed and his brain cells are gone. He is addicted and is unable to stop even though there is 20 mil a season staring him in the face if he could get his act together. He is just another guy that has thrown away all that God given talent. He should of been cut years ago in my opinion but Jerry loves project players.

Hadenough

Reaction score
I've always said that Crawford needs to play inside at 3-tech where he has enough quickness and power to be decent as a pass rusher. The only reason he has played end is simply because we haven't had better options, especially in run defense. Hopefully, we do this year.

At this point, he's king of the hill for a spot in the rotation, either at RDE, 3-tech or both, until someone knocks him off. That's up to Charlton and Armstrong at RDE on run downs, I believe (with Hyder primarily backing up Lawrence at LDE) and Hyder and Hill at 3-tech on pass downs. Otherwise, he will be the one out there in relief of Quinn and lining up next to Collins at 3-tech on pass downs.

I'd like for those players to prove to be better because Crawford is an upgradable player. However, so far we just haven't had players prove to be an upgrade to solid but not spectacular.
At 7 mil a year Crawford is a versatile player that has been able to stay healthy. Thats a bargain and Im pretty sure he will make the roster.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Bottom line is this roster has more depth and upside coming from the DL than we have seen in years.
Its a cap friendly approach on a treasure hunt for jewels , but I like the map.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
The DL is very overcrowded here in Dallas. Reports out of camp say that Hyder looks great. He did have himself a season a couple years ago in Detroit. One or 2 of the following are not going to be on this team unless the injury bug thins the herd...

Crawford, Woods, Taco, Armstrong, Covington, and Gregory.

I added Gregory because we just don’t know. If the league suspends him for the season and these other guys play well (Taco/Armstrong/Hyder), how can you continue to carry him?

A surprise is lurking here for sure.

What say you?
Remember Jihad Ward was an all-Pro in OTA and minicamps this time last year. He didn’t even make the 53

CCBoy

Reaction score
We have a bazillion DEs. I read last night Marinelli praising Quinn's run defense, so Crawford just got even less needed at DE to me.

Crawford is needed at pass rush DT. He's probably still our best. I don't see you offering much reason to think otherwise.

Covington is a negligible pass rush threat. He's a two gapper in a 4-3. Really not a fit for us. He's the guy I expect to be gone. He's veteran insurance against injury to other players.

What really makes him unserviceable? Your opinion?:popcorn:

CCBoy

Reaction score
Bottom line is this roster has more depth and upside coming from the DL than we have seen in years.
Its a cap friendly approach on a treasure hunt for jewels , but I like the map.

I'm anxious to see the team strengths improve when the offensive and defensive lines start to butt heads!

The offensive line is way under appreciated at present, as well.:starspin:

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I'm anxious to see the team strengths improve when the offensive and defensive lines start to butt heads!

The offensive line is way under appreciated at present, as well.:starspin:
The fundamentalist always believe in investing in the trenches, that after all where the game is played, its point 1 or origin, center snaps the ball...
Maybe Im selfish, and I sure I am to a degree, but I really enjoy the direction this roster is going thanks to the talent evaluations directly with McClay,, that man is important.

CCBoy

Reaction score
The fundamentalist always believe in investing in the trenches, that after all where the game is played, its point 1 or origin, center snaps the ball...
Maybe Im selfish, and I sure I am to a degree, but I really enjoy the direction this roster is going thanks to the talent evaluations directly with McClay,, that man is important.

It's nice to have a large group of evaluators that a team can actually listen to, with confidence. Jerry's organizational skills at GM, are finally at a functional and quality level. Give a man a job, and trust it to be done!!