Key facts on Jaylon Smith recovery

Bluestang

Reaction score
He called him Jaylon first...then when he couldn't get in contact with him (cause they were all celebrating and it was loud on the phone) it got a bit awkward and he did call him Gaylon. Simple mistake. If you really think that Rod doesn't know this kids name then you clearly have no direction.

Go ahead and listen to the audio again...he said it twice. Rod also would have preferred Ogbah or Dodd if available but we know how that turned out.

In any case the issue at hand is that the brass basically ran out of options (couldn't trade up/down) and walked away with a huge risk at a premium pick. This isn't the first time they've done this and it's one of the reasons why this franchise can not be consistent with the type of players it has on it's roster.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ha. No post draft press conference is complete without some Jerryspeak + hyperbole.

It was indecipherable. But he did mention other missing defensive players, and a similar timeline. I assume he meant the suspensions, but who knows?

It was like his "players can get injured riding a bike, we're not buying bonds here" speech. And the press just sits there like he's speaking English, when he's not.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Jaylon Smith acquisition prompted mixed feeling with this fan. It was a terrible choice for this season while yet offering at least a measure of hope for the future. No goosebumps here.

I can easily picture exactly why a team like the New England Patriots would be inclined to make such a move but the Cowboys' situation is too desperate to be making high-risk decisions.

It was an unnecessary risk. Love the healthy player's upside, but the goal of the draft is to acquire players and limit risk. We can't help ourselves. When there's a hole to wildcat. We jump in every time.

Sydla

Reaction score
It was an unnecessary risk. Love the healthy player's upside, but the goal of the draft is to acquire players and limit risk. We can't help ourselves. When there's a hole to wildcat. We jump in every time.

The goal is to acquire the best players long term for the franchise. If they are confident he can recover and think he's a ten year player, you make that pick.

I have no issue taking the kid but I don't see how a deal couldn't have been worked out to move down some slots and still taken him.

waving monkey

Reaction score
You guys realize that he has what is called "drop foot" as a result of the nerve damage. This is the one issue that is threatening his career entirely. In his workouts he is wearing a prosthetic that lifts the foot for him.

Now at pick 34 for a team that needs defensive players to come in and help right away this wasn't the wisest choice to make. Couple that with Rod Marinelli not even being able to get his name right during his selection call (pronounced his name with a G), this tells me what a lot of us have being saying about this franchise for years - that have no direction.

The knowledge of the Dallas Cowboys employee,the doctor that operated on Jaylons knee and
the follow up care gave the Cowboys as close expert advisement as could be had.
Here's some facts on the Dr Danial Cooper.

Dr. Daniel E. Cooper, the head physician for the Dallas Cowboys, received the Arthur C. Rettig Award for Academic Excellence on Monday from the NFL Physicians Society.

The award is given annually to an NFL team physician for academic excellence in research in advancing the health and safety of players in the NFL.

Cowboys were well informed about "drop foot" as most board members

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/sports...orner-blog/article63152082.html#storylink=cpy

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I didn't think he would be able to come back. The reports said that his head was being held in by a thread and that he was only mostly dead.

I love the pick because it seems all that crap about him being done was a smoke screen to get him to slide.

I hope there isn't a bunch of flack about our team doctor being his urge on and all the bad reports.

Smokescreen? Right.

Do you honestly think his agent or anyone else would want him to slide? That's millions of dollars he lost.

No doctor, no matter who they work for is going to push a bad report on a player as a smokescreen either.

Richmond Cowboy

Reaction score
Currently:
* Been running for few weeks.
* Leg Pressing over 700 lbs.
* Squating over 500 lbs.

Typically nerve recovery starts at 4-6 months, Jaylon's started at 3 months. This is good sign. The nerve is healing at rate of about 1" per month and area of nerve damage is about 6".

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...fl-draft-notre-dame-injury-recovery/83489188/

Seriously, whoever said he is not very bright has an agenda. This young man is polished, pleasant, and extremely well spoken. Can't wait to see what he can do next year.

erod

Reaction score
I heard Jaylon described as a "more athletic Luke Keuchly."

Sold.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
The knowledge of the Dallas Cowboys employee,the doctor that operated on Jaylons knee and
the follow up care gave the Cowboys as close expert advisement as could be had.
Here's some facts on the Dr Danial Cooper.

Dr. Daniel E. Cooper, the head physician for the Dallas Cowboys, received the Arthur C. Rettig Award for Academic Excellence on Monday from the NFL Physicians Society.

The award is given annually to an NFL team physician for academic excellence in research in advancing the health and safety of players in the NFL.

Cowboys were well informed about "drop foot" as most board members

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/sports...orner-blog/article63152082.html#storylink=cpy

Folks, we need to stop with the "its our doctor" thing. He's giving a full report to any team that wants it. We don't have some sort of exclusive information. The only thing different is that we might trust the report more because we know his work, but that's more illusion than fact.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The goal is to acquire the best players long term for the franchise. If they are confident he can recover and think he's a ten year player, you make that pick.

I have no issue taking the kid but I don't see how a deal couldn't have been worked out to move down some slots and still taken him.

We don't need to Tin Cup every time we get to the water trap. Sometimes you just lay up and take the extra stroke. Yes, Jaylon Smith would eventually be amazing if he's healthy and if he didn't lose anything from the devastating injury. But there were probably four other defensive players with borderline first round grades sitting right there who were plug-and-play selections at positions of immediate need.

boysfanindc

Reaction score
We don't need to Tin Cup every time we get to the water trap. Sometimes you just lay up and take the extra stroke. Yes, Jaylon Smith would eventually be amazing if he's healthy and if he didn't lose anything from the devastating injury. But there were probably four other defensive players with borderline first round grades sitting right there who were plug-and-play selections at positions of immediate need.

The Tin Cup analogy is a good one, sometimes you just do what you should.

Mosely comment that I agree with:

It seems like the Cowboys lost all their momentum in this draft by selecting Smith. It was a luxury they couldn't afford. And for now it makes them look foolish.

waving monkey

Reaction score
Folks, we need to stop with the "its our doctor" thing. He's giving a full report to any team that wants it. We don't have some sort of exclusive information. The only thing different is that we might trust the report more because we know his work, but that's more illusion than fact.

If you think that an employee of a company doesn't give personal advise to employer
"well all righty then". It's well know all teams got full report.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
He called him Jaylon first...then when he couldn't get in contact with him (cause they were all celebrating and it was loud on the phone) it got a bit awkward and he did call him Gaylon. Simple mistake. If you really think that Rod doesn't know this kids name then you clearly have no direction.

Not sure Rod gets his own kids' names right at this point.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
I'm sure they sought more medical advice than just from Dr. Cooper. These are billion dollar franchises. They hire personal baby sitters for players. I'm sure Dallas had a team of all kinds of docs go over Smith's knee. Some other teams also. They are not going to take a chance on a player that has 0-20% chance of playing again.

Whether he is the same player he was at ND, is yet to be seen, but he will play football again. This was a long term pick they had in mind.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Tin Cup analogy is a good one, sometimes you just do what you should.

Mosely comment that I agree with:

Yep. I don't care how it looks, but there were so many good directions we could have gone in there in front of us at that point. 3-4 first round reaches pushed talent into the 2nd. It's rough not to have taken advantage of it.

I do love the idea of a healthy Smith. And it made for a great tv moment. But that's not really the point. We need to just be playing the probabilities. Give me what Cleveland is doing, anyday, over what we're doing here. Just play the odds and stick to your guns. It eventually pays off.

PBCCowboy

Reaction score
It pains me to admit it but Jerry Jones may be an evil genius in this draft. The Cowboys team doctor performs the surgery on Jaylon Smith and tells every team team that Smith may have nerve damage. Then the Cowboys swoop in and draft him. Well played Jerry Jones, well played.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Jerry indicated he could be back as soon as some of the other defensive players who will miss time, or some such gobbledygook. That would seem to indicate week 5 of the regular season, though that seems unpossible on the surface.

I think that's just to create optimism about the pick.

I doubt we see him this year.