Key facts on Jaylon Smith recovery

CWR

Reaction score
I cannot take credit for all of that. We had a discussion in the other thread and that is an amalgamation of the factual stuff presented there.
@waldoputty is responsible for two of the facts for example.

Almagamation, just the fact that I have to Google that let's me know I'm in over my head. Lol, this is a great board.

CrownCowboy

Reaction score
The Jaylon Smith acquisition prompted mixed feeling with this fan. It was a terrible choice for this season while yet offering at least a measure of hope for the future. No goosebumps here.

I can easily picture exactly why a team like the New England Patriots would be inclined to make such a move but the Cowboys' situation is too desperate to be making high-risk decisions.

I agree with this.

The Patriots have the luxury to make gambles like this. Take away the FACT that they are a bunch of disgraceful cheaters, they have won four Super Bowls in the last decade or so and have seemingly a system that has proven to be successful.

We do not have that luxury. I really do like Jaylen Smith. The kid is a baller and perhaps would have been in the discussion with most teams to go number one overall in the whole dang draft if he were healthy. But he is not.

I am of the opinion that our window to win is maybe alittle more open than some here think. I think Romo can go another three years. I could be wrong but that's what I think. With that being said, three years ain't that long and considering the fact that QB's don't grow on trees, we really needed an EARLY 2nd round draft pick to be able to contribute right away, and there was plenty of exceptional talent available in this draft to be able to get that contribution.

Again, this kid has heart and I'm not going to doubt him for a second. We all know what he'll bring to the field. I just hope that the defense and team altogether isn't hampered this year by this decision because we sure could have used talent in a host of positions of need to contribute.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
He guaranteed he would play in 2016. I don't care. I love this kid. Sometimes you have to go with your heart and your gut and roll the dice. This kid is going to pay off.

He just needs to rest this year and be ready for next year.

bkeavs

Reaction score
Here are the key facts as I see them:

1) The ACL and PCL repair was a success. This is demonstrated by his return to athletic activities. The only concern at this point is the peroneal nerve.
2) According to his doctor the nerve was stretched and not elongated with no significant damage to the nerve exterior.
3) The best outcome is a grade 2 injury which indicates complete nerve regeneration and a full recovery.
4) The worst outcome is scar tissue forms inside the nerve causing a partial recovery. There are further surgical solutions if this is the case.
5) Smith is 16 weeks or 3.5 months postop and is regaining sensation in foot indicating regeneration is ongoing.
6) The nerve recovery timeframe is around 6 months due to the length of injured nerve. He could well be recovered by July.
6) Modern MRI techniques can see the development of scar tissue and abnormalities. This implies his doctors can tell if it is a grade 2 or 3 injury at this point based on whether or not scars are forming.

All this is true but it seems that even the Cowboys expect him to miss the entire season

Primetime42

Reaction score
Along these lines, I got pretty good reassurances from an expert with connections last night. If the kid doesn't play this year, he will definitely be 100% by the offseason.

I feel a lot better about the pick after that conversation.
Here are the key facts as I see them:

1) The ACL and PCL repair was a success. This is demonstrated by his return to athletic activities. The only concern at this point is the peroneal nerve.
2) According to his doctor the nerve was stretched and not elongated with no significant damage to the nerve exterior.
3) The best outcome is a grade 2 injury which indicates complete nerve regeneration and a full recovery.
4) The worst outcome is scar tissue forms inside the nerve causing a partial recovery. There are further surgical solutions if this is the case.
5) Smith is 16 weeks or 3.5 months postop and is regaining sensation in foot indicating regeneration is ongoing.
6) The nerve recovery timeframe is around 6 months due to the length of injured nerve. He could well be recovered by July.
6) Modern MRI techniques can see the development of scar tissue and abnormalities. This implies his doctors can tell if it is a grade 2 or 3 injury at this point based on whether or not scars are forming.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
People like the person and let that emotion get in the way of seeing how bad of a pick this was. He can't and won't help us this year. Stupid pick.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Jerry indicated he could be back as soon as some of the other defensive players who will miss time, or some such gobbledygook. That would seem to indicate week 5 of the regular season, though that seems unpossible on the surface.

Jerry is lying. He doesn't want the fans to know how bad of a pick this really was.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
I was really proud of Jerry and and McClay for taking this player.

This took gonads, and if they are right, he has talent like maybe we've never seen in Dallas at linebacker.

And he'll appreciate this team forever for taking this chance this early so he doesn't have to take a cheap contract not worthy of his abilities.

Dallas might have just gotten the two best talents and greatest impact players in the 2016 draft.

Well done.

I don't think Tapper, Dak or Collins were rated as one of the top talents in the draft.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
There's some of those too. The intelligent people are numerous though.

Totally agree. That's why I use this site, exclusively. I have been here long enough to know who the objective/credible members are vs those who are purely agenda driven (and there are a number of them).

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
Ok ........ that made me laugh

A lot of people don't care for him, but a lot of his stuff is classic, IMO. Some people just don't take the time to try to "get it" with him.

Last edited:

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
We don't need to Tin Cup every time we get to the water trap. Sometimes you just lay up and take the extra stroke. Yes, Jaylon Smith would eventually be amazing if he's healthy and if he didn't lose anything from the devastating injury. But there were probably four other defensive players with borderline first round grades sitting right there who were plug-and-play selections at positions of immediate need.

What a solid reference

Great movie

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
A lot of people don't care for him, but a lot of his stuff is classic, IMO. Some people just don't take the time to try to "get it" wit him.

As my hatred for Jerry Jones grows ....... my appreciation for Risen has grown.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
In 2 years there won't be one person taken in the 2nd that we would trade Jaylon for

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
All this is true but it seems that even the Cowboys expect him to miss the entire season

Well the nerve could come back in June or it could come back in January. They don't know until it's done, whether or scar tissue forms, and he is moving his foot fully or partially. If his foot starts lifting this summer he could be ready this fall though in theory.

That is best case. Worst case is he is undergoing surgery this fall to fix scar tissue.