CFZ Key Post-draft Question: Are we better as a team in 2024 than 2023?

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Didn't they already come out and say he was gonna play center? They already said they are keeping tyler smith at guard
I didn't see anything but them saying he practiced some at center, and "should" be able to.

Of course, saying one thing and actually doing it is another. I'm not trying to say for sure he won't, seems likely, but until he walks up to the ball and puts his hand on it when the first game is played in the regular season, or the Jones boys say "Beebe's our starting center", it's not for certain...

Chasing6

Reaction score
I didn't see anything but them saying he practiced some at center, and "should" be able to.

Of course, saying one thing and actually doing it is another. I'm not trying to say for sure he won't, seems likely, but until he walks up to the ball and puts his hand on it when the first game is played in the regular season, or the Jones boys say "Beebe's our starting center", it's not for certain...
On the Depth chart he is currently listed as back up Center, only because it is a new position for him and he will have to prove himself and earn it.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
The only people making the claim we got better are jerry's minions.

I think with Beebe IF he moves to center will be how fast he can get reliable at snapping. In virtually all ways that matter he is physically superior to Biadasz and is a nasty player. So IF he can snap he will be better but not right away.
Guyton needs work simple as that. So we will have some problems on the OL this year. We might not be much worse but certainly not better
“is a nasty player”? What seems “nasty” in the Big 12 may be pedestrian in the NFL. If he starts or plays at all it will be because he’s learned to play the position well enough to contribute in an NFL game. He won’t get playing time because of some mean streak in his demeanor. I think he’ll find the men he’s trying to block are not intimidated by “nasty”.

stinkface

Reaction score
It’s was in name only. Tyron Smith was a great player but he was washed up and injured the past several years.
He graded out very high last year and was one of the best OTs in the NFL. Saying he sucked last year isn't true.

The big issue was he wanted one more big paycheck and he was not going to get it here because we did not have the funds to pay him. It was time to move on for that reason, not because he had a bad year.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
That’s the thing about this upcoming season. It’s hard to realistically say that the 2024 team looks better. Maybe for 2025? If the front office had sprinkled in some talent in FA, it might be different.
What's free agency?
We don't do free agency.
We don't do trades.
What a circus.
We are a ship without a rudder.
We deserve the whipping we are about to receive this season.

Chasing6

Reaction score
He graded out very high last year and was one of the best OTs in the NFL. Saying he sucked last year isn't true.

The big issue was he wanted one more big paycheck and he was not going to get it here because we did not have the funds to pay him. It was time to move on for that reason, not because he had a bad year.
He did not get one more big payday. He wanted an opportunity to play for a team that was actually trying to win a SB.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Too early to tell.
we need to see who's going to coach these lads?

reddyuta

Reaction score
maybe if last years draft picks contribute but we have to see.Mazi has to show he belongs or he will be cut after this season,Schoonmaker has to take over no 2 TE role and excel and Overshown has to stay healthy.

morasp

Reaction score
Lots of unsubstantiated assumptions. Mostly just hoping that backups and first year duds step up this year.

Only real additions are draftees on the OL, LB, and a rotational DE.

RB, WR, QB, TE are all relatively the same or slightly worse. CB added a 5th rounder and lost Gilmore.

Overall we are weaker than last year.
This whole thread is based on assumptions, your not going to have anything empirical until next off season. I'll stick with my projections and will be happy to pick it up then.

boysfanindc

Reaction score
Here’s a look at the players we lost vs the players we’ve added:

DEPARTURES:
  • Tyron Smith, LT (Jets)
  • Tony Pollard, RB (Titans)
  • Johnathan Hankins, DT (Seahawks)
  • Dorance Armstrong, DE (Commanders)
  • Tyler Biadasz, C (Commanders)
  • Dante Fowler, DE (Commanders)
  • Noah Igbinoghene, CB (Commanders)
  • Neville Gallimore, DT (Dolphins)
  • Michael Gallup, WR (released)
  • Leighton Vander Esch, LB (released)
ADDITIONS:
Free agents:
  • Eric Kendricks, LB
  • Ezekiel Elliott, RB
  • Royce Freeman, RB
  • Jourdan Lewis, CB
  • Rico Dowdle, RB
  • Chuma Edoga, OL
  • C.J. Goodwin, ST
  • Trent Sieg, LS
Draft picks:
  • Round 1: OT Tyler Guyton
  • Round 2: DE Marshawn Kneeland
  • Round 3: G/C Cooper Beebe
  • Round 3: LB Marist Liufau
  • Round 5: CB Caelen Carson
  • Round 6: WR Ryan Flournoy
  • Round 7: OL Nathan Thomas
  • Round 7: DT Justin Rogers
Think we are missing D. Wilson on the FA list.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
QB - Same - Dak will win a bunch of regular season games then freeze up in playoffs

RB - Same - We still do not have a number 1 back (I am glad Zeke is back, we missed his 12 TD's last year)

WR - Better - Gallup being gone makes us better, addition by subtraction

TE - Same or better - I think Shoemaker will pull more weight this year.

Oline - Worse in the short term , probably better in long term, but we are gonna miss Tyron more than a lot of haters expect.

DB's - Better - Diggs is back

LB - Better - at least the current guys are not hurt all the time.

Dline - Same or better - We lost guys who could not get to the QB even with Parsons getting triple teamed at times ...... not gonna miss them.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
We keep asking about this at every level of the offseason which there's still five months to go can we at least wait till training camp I mean I would love to answer this question but it's still incomplete they're signing more undrafted free agents this week and I know they have a list of those veteran free agents that you all didn't want but they have guys are gonna bring on this team that they didn't fulfill through the draft or early in free agency..

So we got to see 2023 as a complete roster we have yet to see that for 2024.. When we get there which will probably be after preseason then I'm gonna comment on the roster right now the roster is so incomplete they literally gonna have camp battles what is there gonna be like 90 guys how do we know what the 2024 roster looks like until we actually see it it has to be set who are they rolling into the first game of the season with then I'll comment...

So my answer will be TBD/INC..
Honestly, the answer to your question really depends on if previous draft and rookie classes from the last two years develop and start playing well. Many bemoan “progress stoppers” on the roster, but then panic when Dallas allows the “progress stoppers” to leave, and put trust in recent rookie classes from previous seasons.

I’ll just give you a “for example” for the 2024 rookie class. Many think Cooper Beebe was the best pick the Cowboys made. But he has both Tyler Smith and Zach Martin playing ahead of him. He may not even see the field much in 2024. But the Cowboys may plan on him taking over for Zach Martin in 2025. How many will call Beebe a “bust” after this season if Smith and Martin remain healthy all year? My guess is by this time next year, many will be moaning about how little Beebe contributed in 2024.

The draft is not always about this season. Kneeland and Beebe could be planned replacements for DeMarcus Lawrence and Zach Martin, both drafted in 2024, and both who have contracts ending after this coming season. But too many will downgrade this draft, not realizing the Cowboys are planning ahead.

That is why I always stress that last year’s draft class, and the year before are the proper focus for team improvement this year. From last season, only Brandon Aubrey had a rookie season to celebrate. But players like Mazi Smith, Luke Schoonmaker, DeMarvion Overshown, and all their 3rd day picks have had a year to develop. We have no idea who might have a breakout season this year from the 2023 draft class. Does Asim Richards blossom as a tackle? Does Eric Scott surprise people? Does Deuce Vaughn find the production he showed in college? Does Fehoko become a key pass rusher?

And what about players from two years ago like Sam Williams and Jalen Tolbert. Tolbert quietly had a good 2nd season after being a huge disappointment as a rookie. He is the likely replacement for Michael Gallup, with very little, if any drop off from how Gallup played a year ago. Sam Williams has been sitting behind Armstrong and Fowler for 2 seasons. He could easily have a breakout season in 2024 with more playing time since those two players are gone.

Too much expectation is placed on rookies, when the true expectations should be on those drafted the last 2-3 seasons.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Nice post. The problem I have is the offense went through Lamb. Outside of him we had nothing dynamic. Even TP wasn’t dynamic. Now we lost him and added nothing. They won’t feed Turpin anything really, and Brooks, and Tobert aren’t dynamic.

Maybe John Stephen’s helps and Fergs improves even more? Time will tell.
Yeah. It really sucked for the 49ers when the offense went through Jerry Rice.

Brax

Reaction score
Most post-draft analyses being offered by the football “experts“ tend to focus on each individual draft pick - their specific individual skills, their “value” in terms of when they were drafted, etc. What they rarely mention is what does this draft do collectively to make us a better football team? On top of that, you can never judge a draft before the new players have even played a meaningful down of football.

Overall I thought this year’s draft was generally good. We addressed two of the weakest areas this team had last year: The ability to run the ball and the ability to stop the run.

The acquisition of Tyler Guyton and Cooper Bebee should bring a long term improvement on the O- line.The acquisition of Marshawn Kneeland should have an impact on improving stopping the run, assuming he develops quickly. Not drafting a RB is the dangling need still hanging.

So back to question, Are we better in 2024 AS A TEAM after this draft? Here are my answers to that:
  • In the short run, meaning the 2024 season, on paper this team does NOT appear to be as good as last year’s team that won the NFC East and earned the #2 seed. They were pitiful in the playoffs last year but had a 12-5 regular season.
  • You can’t lose a HOF LT like Tyron Smith (although often injured last few years) and expect a rookie LT to walk in the door and immediately be better.
  • We may not immediately see Cooper Bebee be better than Tyler Biadaz was at Center. I certainly think Bebee has more upside than Biadaz so after a year or two Bebee may exceed Biadaz. And Bebee may end up being the long term replacement for Zack Martin.
  • In the next couple of seasons, if this year’s draft as well as the 2022 and 2023 classes show improvement, the 2025 team may be better than the 2024 version.
In conclusion, obviously it’s way too early to know how good this year’s draft will be. But it’s not too early to see that at least on paper this team is not clearly better NOW. But for 2025, that maybe different.

Do you think this draft has made the 2024 team better than the 2023 team?
Here’s the NFL.com take on the draft
https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-draft-grades-nfc-east-2024

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Most post-draft analyses being offered by the football “experts“ tend to focus on each individual draft pick - their specific individual skills, their “value” in terms of when they were drafted, etc. What they rarely mention is what does this draft do collectively to make us a better football team? On top of that, you can never judge a draft before the new players have even played a meaningful down of football.

Overall I thought this year’s draft was generally good. We addressed two of the weakest areas this team had last year: The ability to run the ball and the ability to stop the run.

The acquisition of Tyler Guyton and Cooper Bebee should bring a long term improvement on the O- line.The acquisition of Marshawn Kneeland should have an impact on improving stopping the run, assuming he develops quickly. Not drafting a RB is the dangling need still hanging.

So back to question, Are we better in 2024 AS A TEAM after this draft? Here are my answers to that:
  • In the short run, meaning the 2024 season, on paper this team does NOT appear to be as good as last year’s team that won the NFC East and earned the #2 seed. They were pitiful in the playoffs last year but had a 12-5 regular season.
  • You can’t lose a HOF LT like Tyron Smith (although often injured last few years) and expect a rookie LT to walk in the door and immediately be better.
  • We may not immediately see Cooper Bebee be better than Tyler Biadaz was at Center. I certainly think Bebee has more upside than Biadaz so after a year or two Bebee may exceed Biadaz. And Bebee may end up being the long term replacement for Zack Martin.
  • In the next couple of seasons, if this year’s draft as well as the 2022 and 2023 classes show improvement, the 2025 team may be better than the 2024 version.
In conclusion, obviously it’s way too early to know how good this year’s draft will be. But it’s not too early to see that at least on paper this team is not clearly better NOW. But for 2025, that maybe different.

Do you think this draft has made the 2024 team better than the 2023 team?
There is no way to answer your question. In each of the past 3 seasons, the team won 12 games. It is very unlikely many people predicted in August that the team would win 12 games that season. Prior to 2014 we were predicted by most to suck.

Every season you look at the schedule before the season and think this team stinks, this team stinks... then all of the sudden that team that "Stinks," is 8-2, and the team predicted by many to reach the Super Bowl are 4-6.