CFZ Key Questions to be answered this off-season

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The 2024 off-season has already started for our Cowboys and there are a ton of questions that must be answered before we get any kind of feel for this team’s real prospects in 2024.

I’m sure I’m missing some, but here are the biggest questions facing the Cowboys this off-season :
  1. What to do about Dak Prescott? I have supported Dak for the 8 years he’s been our starter. I still think he’s good enough to win playoff games with. BUT…I feel it’s time to move on from him. The team won’t. They are handcuffed (at least in their own thinking) by his contract and their options to cut/trade aren’t great. I would definitely seek a trade partner, roll with Trey Lance, and draft a QB early. But the team won’t do that.
  2. Which of the team’s 16 FAs will keep next year? Heres the list:
    • Tyron Smith, Tony Pollard, Tyler Biadaz, Jourdan Lewis, Stephon Gilmore, Dorance Armstrong, Jayron Kearse, Dante Fowler, Jonathan Hankins, Trent Sieg, Neville Gallimore, Chuma Edoga, Rico Dowdle, Sean McKeon, CJ Goodwin and Noah Igbinoghene.
    • I would let everyone go except Jourdan Lewis, Trent Sieg (deep snapper) maybe Hankins (if the money works), and perhaps Dorance Armstrong (although I seriously doubt we can afford him) Biadaz will cost too much, Gilmore will be 34 and we will have Diggs back. Fowler is a spot down pass rusher which we don’t need compared to run stuffers. Pollard will cost too much, Kearse is overrated, Tyron is good but he’s a ticking time bomb each week. I say we need to say goodbye and move Tyler Smith to LT and Bass to LG, and draft a nasty C/G.
  3. Who will be the Defensive coordinator? As of today it looks like Dan Quinn which won’t be a tragedy. But whoever it is, we need to stop believing we can play small LBs and expect to stop the run. It won’t happen. Changes/upgrades are desperately needed on defense starting with major help stopping the run. (For the umpteenth year!) We especially need LBs and DL.
  4. What should be our draft priorities? Watching the two championship games this past weekend made it obvious how much we need to (once again) upgrade our physicality on both sides of the ball. We desperately need some help at LB, DL, OL and RB. If it were me as GM, I would try to move Dak and draft a QB early, roll with Lance this year and try to rebuild. This FO won’t do that, but I would.
  5. What will the starting backfield look like next year? I would move on from Dak, see what Lance has, draft a QB early, draft a RB on Day 2 that can start for us and sign a cheaper FA RB. This team will extend Dak I’m sure of it. And Dak isn’t as bad as too many here think. But sometime’s it’s just time to move on. I would.
  6. Will this team go farther in the playoffs next year? I hope so but I do not believe so. This team will not get better until this FO can admit that we aren’t that close.
I wish this owner would allow us to rebuild instead of pretending to be “close”. To repeat a phrase I wrote in question #5, This team will not get better until it can admit that we aren’t that close. You can’t get better if you don’t start with the truth.

What about you? How would you answer these questions? Do you have more questions I didn’t have?

CCBoy

Reaction score
4. Offensive line

Tyron Smith is too much of a game and is part of the destroying of discipline as a major part of the starting unit has an injury molded job. The team loses an aspect that truly forges discipline and in that unit.

Top draft pick should be on his replacement in the draft. Get the player desired even if an additional pick or future pick is needed to do just that.

My free agent target would be at the very start of free agency and steal away Connor Williams, former Cowboy.

Signing with the Dolphins, Williams was immediately moved inside to center where he quickly established himself as one of the best centers in the NFL. In each of his two seasons in Miami, Williams was graded in the top five by PFF. He was the No. 2 rated center in the NFL in 2023, coming in only behind the great Frank Ragnow from Detroit.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/lists/cowboys-connor-williams-tyler-biadasz-at-c/

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
4. Offensive line

Tyron Smith is too much of a game and is part of the destroying of discipline as a major part of the starting unit has an injury molded job. The team loses an aspect that truly forges discipline and in that unit.

Top draft pick should be on his replacement in the draft. Get the player desired even if an additional pick or future pick is needed to do just that.

My free agent target would be at the very start of free agency and steal away Connor Williams, former Cowboy.

Signing with the Dolphins, Williams was immediately moved inside to center where he quickly established himself as one of the best centers in the NFL. In each of his two seasons in Miami, Williams was graded in the top five by PFF. He was the No. 2 rated center in the NFL in 2023, coming in only behind the great Frank Ragnow from Detroit.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/lists/cowboys-connor-williams-tyler-biadasz-at-c/
That’s an interesting idea regarding Connor Williams. He’s certainly been very effective at C for the dolphins.

The problem for us is he will likely cost a lot more than Tyler Biadaz will and Biadaz is about to get paid a lot more than his rookie deal he has played on the last 4 years. I’m thinking the draft is where we get a C. But will be interesting to see.

CWR

Reaction score
The 2024 off-season has already started for our Cowboys and there are a ton of questions that must be answered before we get any kind of feel for this team’s real prospects in 2024.

I’m sure I’m missing some, but here are the biggest questions facing the Cowboys this off-season :
  1. What to do about Dak Prescott? I have supported Dak for the 8 years he’s been our starter. I still think he’s good enough to win playoff games with. BUT…I feel it’s time to move on from him. The team won’t. They are handcuffed (at least in their own thinking) by his contract and their options to cut/trade aren’t great. I would definitely seek a trade partner, roll with Trey Lance, and draft a QB early. But the team won’t do that.
    • Tyron Smith, Tony Pollard, Tyler Biadaz, Jourdan Lewis, Stephon Gilmore, Dorance Armstrong, Jayron Kearse, Dante Fowler, Jonathan Hankins, Trent Sieg, Neville Gallimore, Chuma Edoga, Rico Dowdle, Sean McKeon, CJ Goodwin and Noah Igbinoghene.
    • I would let everyone go except Jourdan Lewis, Trent Sieg (deep snapper) maybe Hankins (if the money works), and perhaps Dorance Armstrong (although I seriously doubt we can afford him) Biadaz will cost too much, Gilmore will be 34 and we will have Diggs back. Fowler is a spot down pass rusher which we don’t need compared to run stuffers. Pollard will cost too much, Kearse is overrated, Tyron is good but he’s a ticking time bomb each week. I say we need to say goodbye and move Tyler Smith to LT and Bass to LG, and draft a nasty C/G.
  3. Who will be the Defensive coordinator? As of today it looks like Dan Quinn which won’t be a tragedy. But whoever it is, we need to stop believing we can play small LBs and expect to stop the run. It won’t happen. Changes/upgrades are desperately needed on defense starting with major help stopping the run. (For the umpteenth year!) We especially need LBs and DL.
  4. What should be our draft priorities? Watching the two championship games this past weekend made it obvious how much we need to (once again) upgrade our physicality on both sides of the ball. We desperately need some help at LB, DL, OL and RB. If it were me as GM, I would try to move Dak and draft a QB early, roll with Lance this year and try to rebuild. This FO won’t do that, but I would.
  5. What will the starting backfield look like next year? I would move on from Dak, see what Lance has, draft a QB early, draft a RB on Day 2 that can start for us and sign a cheaper FA RB. This team will extend Dak I’m sure of it. And Dak isn’t as bad as too many here think. But sometime’s it’s just time to move on. I would.
  6. Will this team go farther in the playoffs next year? I hope so but I do not believe so. This team will not get better until this FO can admit that we aren’t that close.
I wish this owner would allow us to rebuild instead of pretending to be “close”. To repeat a phrase I wrote in question #5, This team will not get better until it can admit that we aren’t that close. You can’t get better if you don’t start with the truth.

What about you? How would you answer these questions? Do you have more questions I didn’t have?
1) Dak. I feel the same. I've supported him and believe we COULD win with him. That said I was the same with Romo and I knew when it was time to move on. It's exactly how I feel now with Dak. This group took a few swings and came up missing. Just like Romo, Dez, Witten, and Ware, they couldn't get it done.

GoCowboysGo

Reaction score
Through the draft or FA:

- Center
- Tackles (both)
- D Tackles (both)
- LBs (all three spots)
- RBs (multiple)
- WRs (multiple)
- CBs

I don’t care if this team keeps any FA, except maybe Hankins.

Regarding QB1, like him or not it seems he’s lost the locker room and he needs a fresh start elsewhere.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1) Dak. I feel the same. I've supported him and believe we COULD win with him. That said I was the same with Romo and I knew when it was time to move on. It's exactly how I feel now with Dak. This group took a few swings and came up missing. Just like Romo, Dez, Witten, and Ware, they couldn't get it done.
I heard Bob Sturm the other day make an amazing point. Since 2006, the Cowboys have only had 2 starting QBs. That’s 2 QBs in 18 years. Once Jerry locks in that he has a QB he can win with, he won’t move on from them until it’s just beyond obvious, like it was with Romo, who had become so fragile he couldn’t take any kind of hit.

Look at this year’s NFC champions and how many QBs they have gone through since 2006:
  • SF- they have had 8 starting QBs since 2006: Alex Smith, Shaun Hill, Colin K, Brian Hoyer, CJ Beathard, Jimmy Garropolo, TreyLance and Brock Purdy.
My point here is even after Colin K and Jimmy G took the niners to SBs they STILL moved on from them because they thought they could do better and we’re willing to take chances to do that. Not here.

1942willys

Reaction score
I heard Bob Sturm the other day make an amazing point. Since 2006, the Cowboys have only had 2 starting QBs. That’s 2 QBs in 18 years. Once Jerry locks in that he has a QB he can win with, he won’t move on from them until it’s just beyond obvious, like it was with Romo, who had become so fragile he couldn’t take any kind of hit.

Look at this year’s NFC champions and how many QBs they have gone through since 2006:
  • SF- they have had 8 starting QBs since 2006: Alex Smith, Shaun Hill, Colin K, Brian Hoyer, CJ Beathard, Jimmy Garropolo, TreyLance and Brock Purdy.
My point here is even after Colin K and Jimmy G took the niners to SBs they STILL moved on from them because they thought they could do better and we’re willing to take chances to do that. Not here.
so interesting that a former wildcatter gets so cautious in his old age

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys need to find a eject button on Dak. It will come with pain. Other teams do it with high price players. Other teams have done is recently and were just in the playoffs. Keeping Dak's contract will hurt the team's salary cap and ability to bring in any quality FA's.

I get that some still believe Dak can deliver but I'm not one of them. It's simply time to move on. His support has eroded so much this year from the fans, teammates and now teammates family members are popping off.

He just can't win 3 games in a row to get to the super bowl. And his contract will make it even harder to field a team that can help him.

kwcool619

Reaction score

I will start with number 5. The home schedule is brutal. You're absolutely correct about the FO.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Good list, actually i have expressed most of these as well the last couple of weeks. The only thing is i would actually go after a very good RB in FA that could start now.... draft a RB and have him complement him and that way don't sink or swim with a rookie. If he turns out great, then we got two great ones to run the ball with, and will need both of them in the long season.
Urge Dak to accept a trade somewhere due to wearing out his welcome here and with those picks and others build up the OL, DL and LB... Need help all around. Hope DQ is not around and get either Vrabel or Rivera for now.

rambo2

Reaction score

A team that gets the 2 spot is close.

Chasing6

Reaction score

1. Dak is not going anywhere regardless if you like him or not. His contract is too big to cut or to trade him.
2. Tyron will be our priority, then Hankins, then either Lewis or Gillmore, most likely whomever is cheaper.
3. Dan Quinn is coming back. If someone wanted him he would have been hired already.
4. Strongly believe Center is holding back our run game. Biadaz is not a bad center, but we need someone who can consistently moving the pile without help. We don't have enough draft picks to fill our holes. So don't be surprised if/when we trade back in the first round unless someone falls in our lap. Then trade back up in the early second for one of the top 2 Centers. LB in the 3rd round. RB comes late in rounds and we get 1 in free agency. RB by committee finally comes to Dallas.
5. I believe we still win the Divison, but still not physical enough to make a deep run.

Aven8

Reaction score
I’m very interested to see what Lance really has under Mikes tutelage. I wouldn’t call Shanny a QB whisperer by any means, and felt he gave up him a little too soon. I could be dead wrong about that. Tons of evaluators had him high so you never know. It took Love a long time as well and I remember before he was awful.

While I don’t want to be in QB purgatory, I don’t want to be in the same thing if we keep rolling with Dak.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I’m very interested to see what Lance really has under Mikes tutelage. I wouldn’t call Shanny a QB whisperer by any means, and felt he gave up him a little too soon. I could be dead wrong about that. Tons of evaluators had him high so you never know. It took Love a long time as well and I remember before he was awful.

While I don’t want to be in QB purgatory, I don’t want to be in the same thing if we keep rolling with Dak.
Lance is not even close to the answer, unless the plan is a complete rebuild and if so, no reason to resign CD and Micah.

eromeopolk

Reaction score

If all those questions need to be answered in the off season, get prepared for the no.1 overall pick in the 2025 off season.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Pretty sure you would be looking for the one that is going to pay you the most.
My point was no one is going to stay in Dallas if they want to win something more than a handful of games in the regular season every year against crappy teams. Anyone who stays in Dallas is only doing it for the money.