CFZ Key Questions to be answered this off-season

Chasing6

Reaction score
you mean the players that have earned their contracts? vs other players with big names that are going to cost you more off teams who also have not got to the promise land. BY THEMSELVES!! TEAM GAME

hmm ill take our home grown over someone Elses that they cant afford either and play musical chairs. you have to keep some of your best your can let them all go or that makes you the jets browns or other teams always far worse than us....
Having too many elite players weakens your team as a whole. Let's think about it for a moment. We had CD and Micah arguably 2 of the best in the league in their position still on their rookie contract and we were 1 and done. Now let's pay them both top $. How does that make our team better as a whole?

1942willys

Reaction score
Having too many elite players weakens your team as a whole. Let's think about it for a moment. We had CD and Micah arguably 2 of the best in the league in their position still on their rookie contract and we were 1 and done. Now let's pay them both top $. How does that make our team better as a whole?
some people are quite happy with being relevent

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Random thoughts:

Get 1 or 2 elite players instead of getting/keeping multiple mid-tier talent veterans.
- i.e. Rookie contract players combined with star players. Move on from the Kearse type veterans.

The best free agent RB might be 10M vs the best pass rusher or WR at 30M+.

Draft:
Over-drafting is OK. Get the player that the team really likes instead of trying to "get value".
-"See the Lions draft from last year.

The Cowboys were sold on the TE LaPorta but decided DT was a higher value position.

RBs went off the board just before their pick in rounds 2 to 4 (if I recall the rounds correctly).

They could have drafted LaPorta in the 1st and the best available RB in the 2nd.

Final Note:
-Give Trey Lance a legit chance to develop.
- Give him 1st string blockers and receivers for some preseason games.
Excellent assessment.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Random thoughts:

Get 1 or 2 elite players instead of getting/keeping multiple mid-tier talent veterans.
- i.e. Rookie contract players combined with star players. Move on from the Kearse type veterans.

The best free agent RB might be 10M vs the best pass rusher or WR at 30M+.

Draft:
Over-drafting is OK. Get the player that the team really likes instead of trying to "get value".
-"See the Lions draft from last year.

The Cowboys were sold on the TE LaPorta but decided DT was a higher value position.

RBs went off the board just before their pick in rounds 2 to 4 (if I recall the rounds correctly).

They could have drafted LaPorta in the 1st and the best available RB in the 2nd.

Final Note:
-Give Trey Lance a legit chance to develop.
- Give him 1st string blockers and receivers for some preseason games.
I agree with a lot of your thoughts above. However we would have no idea how to use 2 TE's at the same time. Ferguson and LaPorta together would be nightmare for defenses.

But if we drafted him either he or Ferguson would have been a wasted. I remember when NE had 2 dominate TE's, very difficult to stop, it surprises me no other team has tried to duplicate that.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree with a lot of your thoughts above. However we would have no idea how to use 2 TE's at the same time. Ferguson and LaPorta together would be nightmare for defenses.

But if we drafted him either he or Ferguson would have been a wasted. I remember when NE had 2 dominate TE's, very difficult to stop, it surprises me no other team has tried to duplicate that.
My primary point was that LaPorta had a much better rookie season than Mazi Smith.

When the Cowboys draft their favorite player available, they have a very good success rate. When they talk themselves into a pick based on value, scheme fit, etc, then they have problems.

The Cowboys # 2/3/4 TEs play significant snaps. Those 3 together played more snaps than the 3rd WR (Gallup).

Chasing6

Reaction score
My primary point was that LaPorta had a much better rookie season than Mazi Smith.

When the Cowboys draft their favorite player available, they have a very good success rate. When they talk themselves into a pick based on value, scheme fit, etc, then they have problems.

The Cowboys # 2/3/4 TEs play significant snaps. Those 3 together played more snaps than the 3rd WR (Gallup).
Draft for best player, free agency fills holes. Problem is we spend everything on our own players and have little to nothing for free agency.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Draft for best player, free agency fills holes. Problem is we spend everything on our own players and have little to nothing for free agency.
Nothing wrong with that approach.

There tend to be reasons that other teams didn't keep players that become available as Free agents.

You won't get an opportunity to sign an Aaron Donald in his prime type player in free agency.

The Cowboys lack of run downs DTs and run downs LBs is not due to cost. Those types are far cheaper than pass rushers and 3 down type LBs. That's a coaching problem, not a free agent problem.

1942willys

Reaction score

There tend to be reasons that other teams didn't keep players that become available as Free agents.

You won't get an opportunity to sign an Aaron Donald in his prime type player in free agency.

The Cowboys lack of run downs DTs and run downs LBs is not due to cost. Those types are far cheaper than pass rushers and 3 down type LBs. That's a coaching problem, not a free agent problem.
I would bluntly say that we do have a DT and LB problem. and that is on the GM not the coach

Chasing6

Reaction score

Your are right. The reason KC got rid of Tyreek Hill was because he was too expensive and his contract would have been detrimental to the team. Therefore the team is better without him.

Chasing6

Reaction score

Smart teams don't let great players walk. They trade them and get value back to rebuild their team and safe money.