Kicking options?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Are you talking about that new rule that says the older is not allowed to mark the spot with a blade of grass in advance of the snap? If so, I agree. That's a totally bogus rule, and it was even more bogus to change the rule mid-season. They should repeal that dumb rule. If they don't, I hope kickers and holders find a workaround. Maybe the holder can mark the spot with an indentation or something.
That’s the one!
:thumbup:

It directly affected Maher.

links18

Reaction score
We really should have drafted a kicker. Jerry will try to get cute at the position again and it will cost us.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
The Cowboys don't really give fair tryouts to walk on kickers, they are gonna go with a proven vet, and Maher is still a head case. If missing all those XP kicks in one game isn't enough i don't what will. Mason Crosby is 38 but for a K, who cares as long as he can kick and make his XP.
Maher wasn't an established kicker when he won the job here.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
There are plenty of good kickers out there. It’s just that most of us have never heard of them. I’m confident we will find some Kickers by TC. In a league where the average margin of victory is 3 points or less, finding a reliable K is one of the most important positions for a serious playoff contender.
While I hope this is accurate I just don't see it. Every year teams are scrambling to find reliable kickers and fail more often than not. I think the unfortunate truth is that it's significantly more difficult than just bringing in a handful of no namers to camp and seeing who excels.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
who is out there besides Mason Crosby and Rick Folk?....is it assumed Maher is definitely out of the picture?
Walk on/UDFA agent tryouts?
We all know they are going to do nothing about a kicker. Missing 7 extra points in a row in the playoffs is no big deal to Jerry.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Critical issue that I think gets underappreciated... Fassel seems to be one to really emphasize KO touchback percentage. That's an impediment for some of these 40-ish yr old guys. On the other hand, regarding the criticism that we should have drafted a kicker, too easy for those guys to have a bad first camp and get cut, only to reappear in someone else's training camp later and impress... resulting in a waste of a draft slot, and having to go out and find a FA kicker after all anyway.

I'm scratching my head as much as anyone else on this, though. There are no obvious answers.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
who is out there besides Mason Crosby and Rick Folk?....is it assumed Maher is definitely out of the picture?
Walk on/UDFA agent tryouts?
Why isn't Rick Folk good enough?

Bring him in. I can't take another kick from Ben Maher.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Mahers 2022 season, considering what happened here prior, was one of the most bizarre things that I’ve seen….

Not that everything Jerry says comes to fruition, but he DID say publicly they are “starting over” at kicker.

If there were a college option, he would be here already. The available veterans are shot.

Maher is probably the best bet, but how do you bring him back after saying that??

I don’t know what Jerry thinks he is gaining by running his mouth.

What happened to that Hallelujah dude?

It’s amazing to me how kickers are asked to do so much under all kinds of pressure but filling the position is handled this way.

gtb1943

Reaction score
I can't believe the league was so unethical that it did a mid-season rule change. Rule changes should only happen in the offseason, and even then only after spirited debate.
Ethics and the NFL are two MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE things.

rambo2

Reaction score
We really should have drafted a kicker. Jerry will try to get cute at the position again and it will cost us.
Again, they actually had a good kicker last season. You didn't like their draft? I'd rather have the players that they drafted instead of risking a pick on a kicker.

Last edited:

rambo2

Reaction score
We all know they are going to do nothing about a kicker. Missing 7 extra points in a row in the playoffs is no big deal to Jerry.
Lol, hopefully they at least can do as well as last season.