Kicking options?

krs1bro

Reaction score
The Cowboys don't really give fair tryouts to walk on kickers, they are gonna go with a proven vet, and Maher is still a head case. If missing all those XP kicks in one game isn't enough i don't what will. Mason Crosby is 38 but for a K, who cares as long as he can kick and make his XP.
There shouldn't be any confidence moving forward if we want to see this season thru to SB. There are a lot of kickers that can make dam extra point. Maher should be a camp kicker for now. We have to put all the pieces together to get to the promised land and who want to loose because of XP......move on from this and take the doubt out of the equation.

Cowboysheelsreds058

Reaction score
We deserve everything we get if we are going to depend on the kicker from last year. The old saying “Believe them the first time” should be the slogan.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
This is the guy I mentioned in another kicker thread but the Lions are bringing him in. 17/19, including 9/10 from 40+ with a long of 57 yards.

FvZb7wzXwAUIugY

I'm not interested in a 40 year old with declining numbers, and Maher's season ended in such a way that bringing him back would be hard.

Jipper

Reaction score
my vote is for Gould, unless Baltimore would take a 1st for Tucker, lol.
Gould is garbage...can't kick anything 50 or over, missed over 25 percent between 40 and 49 last year...

Rather take a chance on an udfa with a monster leg and some swag that gets excited playing for the star

Reactions: Ken

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
who is out there besides Mason Crosby and Rick Folk?....is it assumed Maher is definitely out of the picture?
Walk on/UDFA agent tryouts?
Maher isn’t definitely out of the picture, but the team is looking to replace him.

conner01

Reaction score
The Cowboys don't really give fair tryouts to walk on kickers, they are gonna go with a proven vet, and Maher is still a head case. If missing all those XP kicks in one game isn't enough i don't what will. Mason Crosby is 38 but for a K, who cares as long as he can kick and make his XP.
Inside of 50 Crosby is solid but like Robbie they can’t KO and I think they want a kicker who can KO

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Maher had the best fg% and tied with several fa for xp %.

He ended poorly with xp but still better overall than most available

Big_D

Reaction score
I just don't see how you can bring Maher back. That was a total choke job down the stretch. You just can't have that at kicker. Shanking a FG is one thing, but one extra point after another come playoff time..it's time to move on. I'd rather give Lirim Hallelujah a shot at this point.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Sounds like a good reason to not sign him

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
USFL, XFL, CFL, and a bunch of guys coming out of college. Find someone, bring in as many as you need to see.

Don't settle for a 40 year old name whose best days are behind him, and pay for the past. Kickers are everywhere.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I just don't see how you can bring Maher back. That was a total choke job down the stretch. You just can't have that at kicker. Shanking a FG is one thing, but one extra point after another come playoff time..it's time to move on. I'd rather give Lirim Hallelujah a shot at this point.
Something definitely went wrong and that needs to be examined, but there are also games where he came through with big kicks for us. He hit 90 percent of his FGs last season, which is better than anyone who is available, and did get back on track against San Fran in the playoffs after the first extra point was blocked (and would have missed anyway).

I wanted to improve the position, but at this point, I'm not sure that anyone else we could get would do that. Gould certainly wouldn't at this point in his career.