Kim Jong Il Dead

burmafrd

Reaction score
Sam I Am;4324434 said:

not surprised you would lap up what that dreck dealt. Over the years the History Channel has become the Hysterical Channel to historians.

Ren

Reaction score
burmafrd;4325178 said:
not surprised you would lap up what that dreck dealt. Over the years the History Channel has become the Hysterical Channel to historians.

Not just historians, it has to be the most inappropriately named channel there is for everyone. Ice road truckers, pawn stars, American pickers and lumberjack shows is all i ever see on there when ever i'm clicking trough channels, not exactly history

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
Ren;4325285 said:
Not just historians, it has to be the most inappropriately named channel there is for everyone. Ice road truckers, pawn stars, American pickers and lumberjack shows is all i ever see on there when ever i'm clicking trough channels, not exactly history

MTV has no music videos. History Channel changed their tag to "history made everyday."

Funny how that works out.

Cythim

Benched
Reaction score
TheDallasDon;4324156 said:
I remember hearing along time ago that China was sending soldiers to Vietnam in order to help them beat us........can anyone confirm this cuz it was just hear say and I would like 2 know if there was any validity 2 this???

I don't think China fought for Vietnam but they did provide equipment and support. I read a book from a French journalist who was embedded with the French soldiers before the U.S. went in and he talked about how the Viet Minh were better equipped than French soldiers because China was giving them equipment that North Korea had taken from the American forces in Korea.

Cythim

Benched
Reaction score
trickblue;4323058 said:
Kim Jong Il... the man was a true legend in his own mind...

Here are actual claims in his biography and elsewhere...
  • According to his biography, he first picked up a golf club in 1994, at North Korea's only golf course, and shot a 38-under par round that included no fewer than 11 holes in one. Satisfied with his performance, he reportedly immediately declared his retirement from the sport.
  • According to his official biographers, his birth in Baekdu Mountain was prophesied by a swallow and heralded with a double rainbow and a new star in the heavens.
  • He was hailed as a demigod in North Korea while South Korea portrayed him as a vain playboy with a penchant for bouffant hair, jumpsuits and platform shoes designed to make him look taller. (he was 5'2")
  • His private train journeys were as luxurious as befitted a leader of North Korea, despite the millions left behind starving due to famine: one Russian emissary who traveled across Russia by train with Kim described how live lobsters were airlifted daily to his train.
  • Because, at his death, his father was named "Eternal President," Kim never officially became president of North Korea.
  • At university it was claimed in his biography that he wrote no fewer than 1,500 books in three years
  • His all time favorites movies included Rambo, Friday the 13th, Godzilla and The Eternal Bosom of Hot Love.
  • Kim also apparently composed six operas and enjoyed staging musicals.
  • He reportedly spread the myth across North Korea that he could control the weather with his moods, as if by magic
  • He forced waitresses at restaurants frequented by foreigners in Pyongyang to have cosmetic surgery in order to appear more "western".
  • He reportedly drank $698,895 of cognac each year in a country where average income was about $900.79.
  • A personality evaluation report on him, compiled by psychiatrists suggested that the "big six" group of personality disorders - sadistic, paranoid, antisocial, narcissistic, schizoid and schizotypal - which were shared by dictators Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin and Saddam Hussein were also dominant in the late North Korean leader.
  • A recent new list of luxury imports now also reveals a penchant for Chinese dolphins, French poodles, and African aphrodisiacs and is said to have developed a palate for Donkey meat as well lobster and expensive French wine.
  • Minju Joson, a North Korean newspaper, reported once that Kim invented a product described as "double bread with meat" and created factories to produce them in order to feed his students and teachers. Some observers noted it was very similar to an American-hamburger.

This is an impressive list, but not half as impressive as Chuck Norris. Chuck could do all of this while taking a nap on a Monday afternoon except Chuck Norris doesn't take naps.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Ren;4325285 said:

I don't think that is what he is referring too. He is referring to their documentaries.

You know. Say creationism vs born from monkeys! :lmao2:

UVAwahoos

Benched
Reaction score
Aikbach;4322007 said:
North Korea will be a hell hole until someone internally opens it up, that would take a coup by someone high in the military that is not trying to seize power for himself but open up his country to the outside world by ousting the Kim Jong dynasty.

This is a good thought, but it's so tightly controlled, that I don't think you'd get the support needed for a legit uprising just based off historical coup d'etats

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
SaltwaterServr;4325137 said:
His early history is pretty well documented. Where he lived, what apartments he rented, how he wasn't employed, etc.

In the article I read about it, the program wasn't pulled from rebroadcast for any factual errors, nor was the subject of factual errors even broached.

HC has some laughably dumb shows on certain subjects, but I have some faith when they do a documentary on such a polarizing figure they expended a good deal of effort to get it right.

Here's a quick Google search on it. There's actually an article on it that was written today.

https://www.google.com/#sclient=psy...4bbda87bf5c44b5&biw=1680&bih=935&pf=p&pdl=300

With all due respect, Googling something doesn't really mean much. You can find just about anything with Google and that doesn't make it legit. The idea was introduced by a few authors, who stated 'evidence suggests' with very little evidence given. Writing an article full of supposition isn't empirical evidence.

Anti-gays use it as a weapon and it fits well into their agenda I suppose, but at this point re-writing history for present supposition is not a good thing. Mind you, for atheists, Hitler is most definitely a Christian.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Sam I Am;4325436 said:
I don't think that is what he is referring too. He is referring to their documentaries.

PT Barnum was right about you Sam

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wonder how much of this stuff that is found is just remnants of old psyops or propaganda stories used back in the day.

Temo

Reaction score
Sam I Am;4325436 said:

I don't watch the history channel; is this an actual doc they run or are you exaggerating?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Temo;4325758 said:
I don't watch the history channel; is this an actual doc they run or are you exaggerating?

About what? Creationism vs evolution? Of course there are shows about evolution on the History Channel.

Temo

Reaction score
Sam I Am;4325768 said:
About what? Creationism vs evolution? Of course there are shows about evolution on the History Channel.

I guess they don't stick to the exact interpretation of "history" then, do they.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Temo;4325771 said:
I guess they don't stick to the exact interpretation of "history" then, do they.

You believe in creationism? ie. Adam (of Adam and Eve) just appeared on the Earth out of nowhere? Is that what you are saying?

Temo

Reaction score
Yeagermeister;4325779 said:
No one does

They all put a spin on the actual events

Well, that's a given. But I meant more as in the academic definition of history, which is the study of human experience starting, more or less, with the invention of writing. History without first person sources is questionable enough: history without any sources is mostly worthless.

Most university students majoring in history would probably start with Neaderthals vs. Cro-Magnon, and even that would be at best one lecture. There's so little to study there because so little is left for us to use as evidence.

The study of evolution is entirely in the domain of science, and (with a really big stretch) anthropology.

Temo

Reaction score
Sam I Am;4325785 said:
You believe in creationism? ie. Adam (of Adam and Eve) just appeared on the Earth out of nowhere? Is that what you are saying?

No sir, I'm a man of science. I also know that creationism vs. evolution is a debate that I never, ever want to have, because it's impossible to do so rationally.

I'm just wondering what exactly the purpose of the History Channel is.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Temo;4325790 said:
Well, that's a given. But I meant more as in the academic definition of history, which is the study of human experience starting, more or less, with the invention of writing. History without first person sources is questionable enough: history without any sources is mostly worthless.

Most university students majoring in history would probably start with Neaderthals vs. Cro-Magnon, and even that would be at best one lecture. There's so little to study there because so little is left for us to use as evidence.

The study of evolution is entirely in the domain of science, and (with a really big stretch) anthropology.

You think handwriting is the only thing that details history? Written documents of what were current events at the time only describe a current view. Not the whole true.

Written documents are only a starting point to finding truth. Evolution of man is proven. Even in recent history shows humans change over time. That change is an evolution of man.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Temo;4325792 said:
No sir, I'm a man of science. I also know that creationism vs. evolution is a debate that I never, ever want to have, because it's impossible to do so rationally.

I'm just wondering what exactly the purpose of the History Channel is.

At one time the History channel was pretty good. Pretty Straight forward documentaries and so on. Although to be fair it had a nickname of the Hitler Channel by many because most of the programming was about WWII and Hitler (still do have quite a few shows on that topic). I did not mind it much because that is an interesting topic to me.

Now however, as someone pointed out earlier, it seems they are going somewhat mainstream and having reality shows and such that really have nothing to do with history topics (pawn stars, american pickers, swamp people, big shrimping, ice road truckers and others).

Although I like some of these new shows and although some of them do deal with items of history...it really is not that tied into what the channel used to be.

I think the problem with some of the documentaries is that they just wanted as many shows as they could starting out that they tended to take any history documentaries and in turn got some of the more out there conspiracy theory or attention grabbing types of shows.

All in all most of their history shows are pretty good though...especially if you like stuff dealing with WWII.

On a side note...got a couple of early gifts this year. Two books on WWII and one of them was written by a guy that runs a WWII museum that is pretty cool. Lots of pull out reproductions of post cards, propaganda posters, military memos and such in it...it looks like a big scrap book of sorts.