Kingsbury to OU?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep, and their recruiting class is falling apart. They just lost a 5 star DT to A&M. If Venables can't even keep the defensive recruits on board, its gonna be a rebuild. Not a great thing for a team headed to the SEC West. lol
He will have company with UT.

I think they might have been better off staying in the Big 12 and trying to beef it up. The Big 12 game was a D showcase with Baylor and OSU with two goal line stands so they proved could change from just being about the passing game.

The OU fans are not used to being a 2nd tier team and that's what they're going to be until they prove themselves in the SEC West.

I think Venables is a good DC but as the head of the recruiting, he doesn't have the name and he's leaving Clemson at a down time. But how many names are out there and Stoops might have not been interested but he would have been my first choice for familiarity and stability for the recruiting.

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
At this point, can OU back out of the SEC and stay with the Big 12?

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He will have company with UT.

I think they might have been better off staying in the Big 12 and trying to beef it up. The Big 12 game was a D showcase with Baylor and OSU with two goal line stands so they proved could change from just being about the passing game.

The OU fans are not used to being a 2nd tier team and that's what they're going to be until they prove themselves in the SEC West.

I think Venables is a good DC but as the head of the recruiting, he doesn't have the name and he's leaving Clemson at a down time. But how many names are out there and Stoops might have not been interested but he would have been my first choice for familiarity and stability for the recruiting.

Venables has been a DC for so long, I just wonder if he's capable. He did turn down Auburn last year. So, OU wasn't the only one looking his direction. They should have made a play for Lane Kiffin.

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Venables has been a DC for so long, I just wonder if he's capable. He did turn down Auburn last year. So, OU wasn't the only one looking his direction. They should have made a play for Lane Kiffin.
Kiffin is an acquired taste that not everyone likes. When USC fired him, the players threw a party.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At this point, can OU back out of the SEC and stay with the Big 12?
Not if they've signed the paperwork and been approved. The question is when do they want to make the move?

Many thought they'd pay the price and start in 2022, and thought the same for UT, but things have changed for OU and gotten worse for UT.

I bet the other Big 12 AD's are laughing themselves silly over what has happened.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Not if they've signed the paperwork and been approved. The question is when do they want to make the move?

Many thought they'd pay the price and start in 2022, and thought the same for UT, but things have changed for OU and gotten worse for UT.

I bet the other Big 12 AD's are laughing themselves silly over what has happened.

I agree. They are probably laughing, but when they start seeing that loss of revenue in the next TV contracts, the laughter will cease. Like them or hate them, those 2 schools drew in the money for the conference.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree. They are probably laughing, but when they start seeing that loss of revenue in the next TV contracts, the laughter will cease. Like them or hate them, those 2 schools drew in the money for the conference.
They are the dog for the conference and the tails should be happy the playoffs are expanding to 12 or they would have to go 12-0 and still hope to get in as 1 of 4.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
You know...if Arizona was 2-10 as opposed to 10-2, sure

But given their record, he didn't consider this at all

DFWJC

Reaction score
Wonder what's going on in Clemson. They had a terrible year. Venables turned down Auburn last year. So, something changed.
  • They lost an absurd amount of talent and had more of a gap in their depth than usual
  • The QB was not what they (and everyone else) thought he was...and less skill guys than usual
  • They started slow but got rolling the second half of the season, winning the last 5 and rolling their rival SC, 30-0.
  • Still ranked in top 20 in a very down year, So a down year for them, but a good year for most programs
  • They will be back....imo. But losing Venables is a big blow,

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wonder what's going on in Clemson. They had a terrible year. Venables turned down Auburn last year. So, something changed.
They remind me of Auburn with their on again/off again DL's. Both programs are inconsistent in that area. But when they're on, they're on across the line and with some depth.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
  • They lost an absurd amount of talent and had more of a gap in their depth than usual
  • The QB was not what they (and everyone else) thought he was...and less skill guys than usual
  • They started slow but got rolling the second half of the season, winning the last 5 and rolling their rival SC, 30-0.
  • Still ranked in top 20 in a very down year, So a down year for them, but a good year for most programs
  • They will be back....imo. But losing Venables is a big blow,

I think it was the QB. He looked great filling in for Lawrence but sucked when given the job full time. I'm guessing he's transferring or will transfer. In regard to losing talent, nobody lost more talent than Alabama last year.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I think it was the QB. He looked great filling in for Lawrence but sucked when given the job full time. I'm guessing he's transferring or will transfer. In regard to losing talent, nobody lost more talent than Alabama last year.
True
Alabama was deeper, apparently.
The QB that will enter the transfer portal is redshirt Sophmore Taisun Phommachanh, not the starter.
Incoming 2022 freshman, Cade Klubnick is "only" a 4-star guy.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
True
Alabama was deeper, apparently.
The QB that will enter the transfer portal is redshirt Sophmore Taisun Phommachanh, not the starter.
Incoming 2022 freshman, Cade Klubnick is "only" a 4-star guy.

Well, They had a nice run with Deshaun Watson and Lawrence. I'm surprised the top tier QBs aren't interested.

terra

Reaction score
Well, They had a nice run with Deshaun Watson and Lawrence. I'm surprised the top tier QBs aren't interested.

Watson and Lawrence were extraordinary College QBs. Able to make huge plays when it counted most of the time. Those do not grow on trees; to have one right after the other was a huge batch of luck for Clemson. Not going to get that three in a row.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Their current QB was a 5 star and rated by some publications as the top guy. But he's not living up to it.
Then in 2021, with him having looked good backing up Lawrence, its understandable that 5 star didn't want to go there in 2021.

Anyway, I just looked up the UPDATED Rivals Class of 2022 top QBs and Clemson is getting the very top one on their list.
They now rank, Cade Klubnik as a 5 star (and the 6th best player at any position). He is in the final 3 for National POY.
So my mistake. (the last I looked was a while ago and he was 4-star)
Pro-style QB out of Austin Westlake.
I guess the Westlake pipeline keeps rolling

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Their current QB was a 5 star and rated by some publications as the top guy. But he's not living up to it.
Then in 2021, with him having looked good backing up Lawrence, its understandable that 5 star didn't want to go there in 2021.

Anyway, I just looked up the UPDATED Rivals Class of 2022 top QBs and Clemson is getting the very top one on their list.
They now rank, Cade Klubnik as a 5 star (and the 6th best player at any position). He is in the final 3 for National POY.
So my mistake. (the last I looked was a while ago and he was 4-star)
Pro-style QB out of Austin Westlake.
I guess the Westlake pipeline keeps rolling
These top tier QB's are no different than the ones taken in the 1st round, a few hits but more misses.

It is often the team, like in the case of Haskins, and what they put around the QB. Then there are QB's of the system like Bama that ensures the QB will play within himself. Mac Jones played on a better team than the 4 taken ahead of him. He does what the coaches ask him to do just as he did at Bama.

Lawrence was really unusual as he didn't have a pass that he called his own, he could make every throw on time and especially the touch throws that are so hard for some QB's. If Lamar Jackson knew how to use the touch throw, they win that game on Sunday.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
various:
Urban Meyer is in Jacksonville because they paid him 10M a year GTD and he got to return to Florida.
When he goes back to college it will be for 10M or more annually.

Venables was a good OU hire but pretty far from a slam dunk. OU relied on Cali and Texas pipelines.
He's recruited a lot of superb players but only 1 of his top 15 are from Texas and Cali combined.

Kliff has his hand-picked QB that he tried to recruit in college. And Arizona will likely extend him with big money.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
These top tier QB's are no different than the ones taken in the 1st round, a few hits but more misses.

It is often the team, like in the case of Haskins, and what they put around the QB. Then there are QB's of the system like Bama that ensures the QB will play within himself. Mac Jones played on a better team than the 4 taken ahead of him. He does what the coaches ask him to do just as he did at Bama.

Lawrence was really unusual as he didn't have a pass that he called his own, he could make every throw on time and especially the touch throws that are so hard for some QB's. If Lamar Jackson knew how to use the touch throw, they win that game on Sunday.
Lawrence was woefully overrated while also being fantastic. It's just how that stuff goes. He's lab built by paper standards but realistically he has holes in his game especially around pocket awareness and consistency with his accuracy.
He's got a cannon but his throwing motion is naturally very long and he has to tighten it up to get it out quicker.
And he's a big guy who's feet can trail his eyes on plays.
So he's very different than say Tony Romo or Tom Brady. Guys who are not overly athletic but move well in the pocket to complete plays.
Trevor is much more like Watson in that it's see it or just take off.
I prefer QBs who are 6'2": or 6'3" with quick feet and great balance to old school rocket launchers.
Rodgers and Pat kinda set that bar with the balance and body control to complete off plane throws easily but also enough athleticism to go get yards if you wanna fall off in coverage.