Kiper draft grade

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas Cowboys: B-
Top needs entering the draft: Offensive line, running back, linebacker

The Cowboys have been hamstrung by their salary-cap situation this offseason, resulting in the departures of starters at several key positions, including offensive linemen Tyron Smith and Tyler Biadasz, running back Tony Pollard and wide receiver Michael Gallup. They haven't really replaced any of those players; the only free agent addition they've made is linebacker Eric Kendricks. That made this draft extra important for Dallas, which absolutely had to take rookie starters in the first and second rounds. So how did team owner Jerry Jones & Co. fare?

Not bad. The Cowboys were able to trade down five spots in Round 1, pick up an extra third-rounder and still get their guy. Tyler Guyton (29) is going to get a chance to be their starter at left tackle, and from what I see on tape, I think he can make the move over from the right side. He has special ability as a pass protector and can get to the second level in a hurry in the run game.

Defensive end Marshawn Kneeland (56) and guard Cooper Beebe (73) have the talent to step in and play significant snaps as rookies. Kneeland is excellent against the run and has developed pass-rush moves. Marist Liufau (87) was a reach on my board, but I know Dallas wants to be better against the run, and he'll help there. Caelen Carson (174) is an underrated cornerback who was a starter for four seasons at Wake Forest.

What keeps Dallas from a higher grade? Not taking a running back in place of Liufau, particularly with several really good ones available.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score

The Cowboys have been hamstrung by their salary-cap situation this offseason, resulting in the departures of starters at several key positions, including offensive linemen Tyron Smith and Tyler Biadasz, running back Tony Pollard and wide receiver Michael Gallup. They haven't really replaced any of those players; the only free agent addition they've made is linebacker Eric Kendricks. That made this draft extra important for Dallas, which absolutely had to take rookie starters in the first and second rounds. So how did team owner Jerry Jones & Co. fare?

Not bad. The Cowboys were able to trade down five spots in Round 1, pick up an extra third-rounder and still get their guy. Tyler Guyton (29) is going to get a chance to be their starter at left tackle, and from what I see on tape, I think he can make the move over from the right side. He has special ability as a pass protector and can get to the second level in a hurry in the run game.

Defensive end Marshawn Kneeland (56) and guard Cooper Beebe (73) have the talent to step in and play significant snaps as rookies. Kneeland is excellent against the run and has developed pass-rush moves. Marist Liufau (87) was a reach on my board, but I know Dallas wants to be better against the run, and he'll help there. Caelen Carson (174) is an underrated cornerback who was a starter for four seasons at Wake Forest.

What keeps Dallas from a higher grade? Not taking a running back in place of Liufau, particularly with several really good ones available.
The same grade I gave them and for the same reason.

Kwyn

Reaction score

Sounds pretty decent.

I know people will bemoan the RB situation but otherwise it looks like a solid draft.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chad Reuter....

-

Dallas Cowboys
Grade: A-

Draft picks
Oklahoma OT Tyler Guyton (No. 29 overall)
Western Michigan DE Marshawn Kneeland (No. 56)
Kansas State OG Cooper Beebe (No. 73)
Notre Dame LB Marist Liufau (No. 87)
Wake Forest DB Caelen Carson (No. 174)
Southeast Missouri WR Ryan Flournoy (No. 216)
Louisiana OT Nathan Thomas (No. 233)
Auburn DT Justin Rogers (No. 244)

Day 1 grade: A
Day 2 grade: A-
Day 3 grade: B

Analysis: Gaining a third-round pick in a move down the board and still landing a starting tackle made for a successful Thursday night for Dallas. Kneeland and Beebe should prove to be excellent values, while Liufau will be a solid addition to the middle of the Cowboys' defense. The Notre Dame 'backer was picked a bit early for my taste, though.

In Round 5, Dallas added Carson, a versatile corner/safety who was considered a Day 2 prospect near the start of last season. Flournoy has the tools to make the squad his rookie year. The Cowboys did not take a running back with any of their eight picks, leaving a sizable hole on their roster they'll still need to fill this offseason. Dallas had four picks within the top 90 selections, but were without a fourth-rounder, having sent theirs to San Francisco last August for Trey Lance. That investment could work out quite well if the former No. 3 overall pick is able to find his game at the pro level.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
This is what I gave them as well a B- fair evaluation considering the LB reach when they could have drafted a decent RB that was a better value at pick 87.

Flamma

Reaction score
Sounds pretty decent.

I know people will bemoan the RB situation but otherwise it looks like a solid draft.
I don't because I didn't believe any of those RBs were worth a premium pick. They got that part right. But they could have addressed that in FA. Even if it was their only move. But they pretend that doesn't exist.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
PFF

-

DALLAS COWBOYS: B-
1 (29): T Tyler Guyton, Oklahoma
2 (56): EDGE Marshawn Kneeland, Western Michigan
3 (73): Cooper Beebe, Kansas State
3 (87): LB Marist Liufau, Notre Dame
5 (174): CB Caelen Carson, Wake Forest
6 (216): WR Ryan Flournoy, Southeast Missouri State
7 (233): T Nathan Thomas, Louisiana
7 (244): DI Justin Rogers, Auburn

Guyton — Dallas selects the former defensive end Guyton out of Oklahoma to reinforce their offensive line. He’s the 39th-ranked player on the PFF big board and is considered something of a project with outstanding athletic ability. He didn’t allow a sack in 355 pass-blocking reps this season, but he only earned a 59.0 PFF true pass-blocking grade.

Kneeland — The Cowboys recover some defensive line depth that they lost in free agency, as they pick up Western Michigan‘s Marshawn Kneeland. He is a natural run defender who improved as a pass-rusher as his career progressed. Over the past two seasons, he posted an 88.0 PFF run-defense grade, which is the best among FBS edge defenders who played at least 300 run-defense snaps in that span.

Beebe — The Cowboys continue to address their offensive line and grab one of the best offensive linemen in college football over the past two seasons. Beebe’s 91.8 pass-blocking grade since 2021 ranks first among all FBS guards in that span, and he allowed just two sacks from 1,206 pass-blocking snaps over that time. The question is where he plays in the NFL, with a move to center a possibility.

Liufau — Liufau plays with a competitiveness and violence that lends itself to some tackling inconsistencies. He is also a bit of a slower processor, but when able to read and trigger, he can make splash plays — as evidenced by his 35 defensive stops between the run and pass games over the past two seasons. He projects as a core special teamer with the upside to be a rotational linebacker.

Carson — Like many who play under head coach Dave Clawson, Carson is a physical prospect. He earned an impressive 83.4 run-defense grade in 2023, ranking 33rd among FBS cornerbacks. Carson will fit in well in a cornerback room stacked with playmakers such as DaRon Bland and Trevon Diggs, having forced five incompletions from single coverage in 2023. The Cowboys get a projected two-round steal by selecting the Wake Forest product.

Flournoy — Flournoy offers solid production, averaging 2.67 yards per route run over the past two seasons. His best attribute is his hands, as he dropped just 3.2% of the catchable passes thrown his way since 2022.

Thomas — When you turn on Nathan Thomas’ tape, expect a mauler in the run game. Although he struggled in pass protection in each of the past two seasons, Thomas shows off his athleticism on run concepts. His 76.1 PFF run-blocking grade in 2023 ranked 18th among FBS offensive tackles.

Rogers — Rogers was better in 2022, when he earned a 70.9 PFF grade. He was better against the run than as a pass rusher this past season, recording a 65.3 PFF run-defense grade.