Kiper draft grade

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Unable to post and not my opinion, but USA Today gave an "F" and second worse class.
USA Today's Nate Davis may have since edited his grade from an F to a D (link):

31. Dallas Cowboys (D)
An organization that’s allegedly “all in” uses its first-rounder on a tackle (Oklahoma’s Tyler Guyton) with tremendous upside but who may or may not be ready to play immediately. And while Dallas needed help in the trenches (second-round DE Marshawn Kneeland, third-round G Cooper Beebe) and potentially filled a hole with third-round Notre Dame LB Marist Liufau, what’s the plan at tailback? Run it back with Ezekiel Elliott? All … in?

Malhavoc

Reaction score

31. Dallas Cowboys (D)
An organization that’s allegedly “all in” uses its first-rounder on a tackle (Oklahoma’s Tyler Guyton) with tremendous upside but who may or may not be ready to play immediately. And while Dallas needed help in the trenches (second-round DE Marshawn Kneeland, third-round G Cooper Beebe) and potentially filled a hole with third-round Notre Dame LB Marist Liufau, what’s the plan at tailback? Run it back with Ezekiel Elliott? All … in?
Who the heck is Nate Davis ?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who the heck is Nate Davis ?
He is this guy (link):

636801417423803744-Nate-Davis.png

He touts a fierce beard.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
No who you are. This team like most has to be able to play physical football on both sides and run the football. The OL is now a real strength. Kneeland is going to be a player. I’m not sure how you keep this kid off the field when they’re in their base defense. Micah will see more snaps at LB and Williams really can’t set an edge. But no RB and questions at DT still leave real questions.

Carson

Reaction score

31. Dallas Cowboys (D)
So they fill LT, DE and C. 3 potential starters and a decent LB with upside … D? Come on man, my initial thoughts were around this but no way is it that bad.

Yes. If we traded, drafted Wright it’s an easy A+. But I will wait to see what other moves are made

Knotamus

Reaction score
I’m surprised they didn’t grab a RB either.. but let’s have an honest discussion

There were maybe a handful of RBs that had starter potential, exp if you factor in the typical traits Dallas looks for. A big back (5’11”+ , 215lbs+) with vision and blocking capabilities. This just wasn’t the draft to find them, unless you’re drafting them early.

That said, they’ll be a plethora of RBs that will be available before the season starts.. always is. Whether through trade or cap casualties.

Did I think Dallas was going to draft the RB of the future with a draft that was weak at RB and Dallas had a ton of needs.. No.

Dal has been in worse shape than Rico, Freeman, Vaughn, and Elliott. The FO will add another veteran RB, I’m not worried. I was more worried about that OL, and I’m sure every Rb on the roster is happy they addressed that.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dude looks like Mr Peepers or my accountant. Jeesh. The crap folks believe. This guy knows nothing. Hes just filling space.
Most draft graders, who are writers or sports show talking heads, barely or never played any particular sport they discuss. They may be knowledgeable but how they apply their knowledge in the practical sense can be debated depending on the topic.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
In round 5 or 6 your not losing anything throwing a dart at a talent like Lloyd. Come on man. Throwing a dart a round or 2 too early for a role player at LB seems like a foolish reach. Like the player, just not that early.
Not just that. One of the write up says he's a special teams guy with a chance to contribute later on defense? Smh. For once I'm glad didn't take an injured player in the 2nd, but that LB pick was a head scratcher.

Rayman70

Reaction score
In years past this move alone would have generated at least a B+ if not an A-.

The Cowboys fleeced Detroit and then scored with the extra pick.
The Cooper Bebee pick made our entire Draft grade an A. I can't emphasis enough how bad we fleeced Detroit and how big drafting this kid was for our future. Hes Zach Martin. What's better than having 1 Zach Martin? TWO ZACH MARTINS. I personally would plug him in at LG this year, Move AND KEEP Smith at LT, then start Guyton at RT. Hoffman would be my center. Hes ready. Hes tough.Steele would become my swing tackle,thus giving him a chance to return to form after that injury he had almost 2 seasons ago. My best 5 would be, from left to right: Smith,Bebee,Hoffman,Martin,Guyton. Steele becomes the swing or if he doesn't like it, we trade him.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

31. Dallas Cowboys (D)
I'd be embarrassed to publish that.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Not just that. One of the write up says he's a special teams guy with a chance to contribute later on defense? Smh. For once I'm glad didn't take an injured player in the 2nd, but that LB pick was a head scratcher.
it was a overreach. They saw a need, and reached, instead of just taking the BPA. We had a very nice draft til that point. Why muck it up by getting cute? We had a nice rb prospect sitting there that would have competed for starts day 1. Why draft a linebacker that won't help us day 1? A rd later, I was ok with it.

Mcsports

Reaction score
The Cooper Bebee pick made our entire Draft grade an A. I can't emphasis enough how bad we fleeced Detroit and how big drafting this kid was for our future. Hes Zach Martin. What's better than having 1 Zach Martin? TWO ZACH MARTINS. I personally would plug him in at LG this year, Move AND KEEP Smith at LT, then start Guyton at RT. Hoffman would be my center. Hes ready. Hes tough.Steele would become my swing tackle,thus giving him a chance to return to form after that injury he had almost 2 seasons ago. My best 5 would be, from left to right: Smith,Bebee,Hoffman,Martin,Guyton. Steele becomes the swing or if he doesn't like it, we trade him.
I'd have to agree. Steele was a major liability last season.
He was a drive killer. Any chance to upgrade over him I'm for it.

Carson

Reaction score
it was a overreach. They saw a need, and reached, instead of just taking the BPA. We had a very nice draft til that point. Why muck it up by getting cute? We had a nice rb prospect sitting there that would have competed for starts day 1. Why draft a linebacker that won't help us day 1? A rd later, I was ok with it.
It’s because they do not tend to trade up. They knew they would be sitting tight until their next pick.

He was hand picked by McCarthy who attended his pro day. They likely did not want to lose him and view him as the starting MLB next year

I get it. Wright would have been much much better. But they are convinced Zeke and Dowdle will be their 1-2

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
But the Daksters told me that the Salary Cap hell was a Myth and that you just shift things around and you're fine. :(