Kiper draft grade

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas Cowboys: B-
Top needs entering the draft: Offensive line, running back, linebacker

The Cowboys have been hamstrung by their salary-cap situation this offseason, resulting in the departures of starters at several key positions, including offensive linemen Tyron Smith and Tyler Biadasz, running back Tony Pollard and wide receiver Michael Gallup. They haven't really replaced any of those players; the only free agent addition they've made is linebacker Eric Kendricks. That made this draft extra important for Dallas, which absolutely had to take rookie starters in the first and second rounds. So how did team owner Jerry Jones & Co. fare?

Not bad. The Cowboys were able to trade down five spots in Round 1, pick up an extra third-rounder and still get their guy. Tyler Guyton (29) is going to get a chance to be their starter at left tackle, and from what I see on tape, I think he can make the move over from the right side. He has special ability as a pass protector and can get to the second level in a hurry in the run game.

Defensive end Marshawn Kneeland (56) and guard Cooper Beebe (73) have the talent to step in and play significant snaps as rookies. Kneeland is excellent against the run and has developed pass-rush moves. Marist Liufau (87) was a reach on my board, but I know Dallas wants to be better against the run, and he'll help there. Caelen Carson (174) is an underrated cornerback who was a starter for four seasons at Wake Forest.

What keeps Dallas from a higher grade? Not taking a running back in place of Liufau, particularly with several really good ones available.
B seems fair here...........I like the DE just a feeling this kid can ball!

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
What keeps Dallas from a higher grade? Not taking a running back in place of Liufau, particularly with several really good ones available.

That last sentence says it all. Lloyd should have been the pick.
I think you could have had both.

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys: B-
Top needs entering the draft: Offensive line, running back, linebacker

The Cowboys have been hamstrung by their salary-cap situation this offseason, resulting in the departures of starters at several key positions, including offensive linemen Tyron Smith and Tyler Biadasz, running back Tony Pollard and wide receiver Michael Gallup. They haven't really replaced any of those players; the only free agent addition they've made is linebacker Eric Kendricks. That made this draft extra important for Dallas, which absolutely had to take rookie starters in the first and second rounds. So how did team owner Jerry Jones & Co. fare?

Not bad. The Cowboys were able to trade down five spots in Round 1, pick up an extra third-rounder and still get their guy. Tyler Guyton (29) is going to get a chance to be their starter at left tackle, and from what I see on tape, I think he can make the move over from the right side. He has special ability as a pass protector and can get to the second level in a hurry in the run game.

Defensive end Marshawn Kneeland (56) and guard Cooper Beebe (73) have the talent to step in and play significant snaps as rookies. Kneeland is excellent against the run and has developed pass-rush moves. Marist Liufau (87) was a reach on my board, but I know Dallas wants to be better against the run, and he'll help there. Caelen Carson (174) is an underrated cornerback who was a starter for four seasons at Wake Forest.

They should have included Trey Lance in the draft grade... but would that make their grade higher or lower?

Rayman70

Reaction score
We could have drafted Lloyd then gotten Marist the next pick. He would have been there. That was bad drafting. Like the players we got but hated where we got Marist,for example.

Rayman70

Reaction score
B seems fair here...........I like the DE just a feeling this kid can ball!
like all the guys we got, but the Marist pick was a round too early. That should have been Marshawn Lloyd. The linebacker we wanted still would have been available the next pick. Terrible drafting as far as passing up a really good rb . The value was really good.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Yea. Shameful. Shameful we ignored a non premium position.
In round 5 or 6 your not losing anything throwing a dart at a talent like Lloyd. Come on man. Throwing a dart a round or 2 too early for a role player at LB seems like a foolish reach. Like the player, just not that early.

Rayman70

Reaction score
It was a weak crop of RBs. It would have been more shameful reaching for one and passing up a much better player at another position.
yes but Lloyd was there and Marist would have been there the next rd. But hey, the next rd we did get a nice db.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hmm.

Recently, I had a conversation with a fellow member, who claimed the loss of the fourth-round pick for Trey Lance (he has an exceptionally low opinion of the player) was a 'huge mistake that would haunt Dallas during the draft'. Additionally, the member claimed he was eventually proven right for expressing this opinion in the past, even though other members had disagreed with him.

I countered with an alternate opinion Dallas replaced the fourth-round pick, lost due to the Trey Lance trade, with the second third-rounder acquired during the Guyton trade down on Day One of the draft. I proposed Dallas could have used the second third round pick for obtaining a running back if that position want was that high, even if the pick would have been a reach in accomplishing it.

My fellow member maintained his stance, doubling down that his examples of Will Shipley, Braelon Allen and Isaac Guerendo were all available in the fourth round, could have been selected with the Trey Lance lost pick, and could have started immediately for Dallas. Then he re-emphasized his extremely low opinion of Lance and prophesized Lance's exit from Dallas following this upcoming season and Dak Prescott's as yet unrealized new contract.

Also, he stated my alternative opinion was a 'typical homer response'.

Seeming, Mel Kiper assumed Dallas could have drafted 'several really good running backs' in place of Marist Liufau. Kiper would have given Dallas a higher grade if they have done so. His final grade was pretty high. A higher grade would have been even better.

Someone should tell Kiper he had a typical homer opinion of a Dallas fan. It is possible he does not know it yet.