Kiper getting owned... LOL

metalichris

Reaction score
I was looking for the Kiper mock draft that just hit ESPN today and came across this.

http://www.slate.com/id/104163/

BTW...did anyone catch it? I just missed him telling who Dallas was going to draft. He's probably wrong, but I am curious.

Hiero

Reaction score
Dallas is gonna draft jason allen in thefirst my ***. what aloser, this guy is the most unreliable source on the web.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
He's in the same boat with Tv and Radio personalities trying to influence fans to agree with their stupid opinions. Luckily fans are smarter than that.

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
peppersquad said:
Goose really is THE best in the business.
Has he come out with a mock yet? I haven't been paying much attention to the mock drafts yet.

MONT17

Reaction score
anyone have a feeling Jerry will trade up? there r true playmakers that could fall to 10... I know trading down is JERRYs thing but to add a player like VD to this O would be a once in alife time shot!!!

as far as Kiper his complete bashing of Q CARTER caused Jerry and the Boys to be the laughing stock of the NFL... and most casual Cowboy fans bought every word he said and the backlash of his draft status! I'm not saying CARTER was great but he was better than people gave him crdit... and should have been looked at as the BACKUP who can win games and not the guy who is the FUTURE!!!

BHendri5

Reaction score
Years ago Kiper proved to me he was a bum and do not know what he is talking about. He does and did all that research on the athletes, that stuff means nothing. Stats, can not give you a good reading on a players heart and his mental state, (attitude).

There are so many athletes that comes thru the draft, yes, Kiper will hit right on some, but if you had in the past or even now listen to him he misses more than he hits on the really big names in the draft. Now days he backtracks when he is wrong.

The first time I noticed he was a bunch of empty research and talk, was in the 89 draft, then he missed a lot in the 90, the draft when Bledsoe and Mirer came out, Leaf and Manning, I laugh now everytime he speaks.

I wish I could go head to head with him and his research, all I would need to do is watch film. We could pick 20,30, 40,50, players and go head to head, him with his research and me just from watching film.

I know I would spank.

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
After two days of waiting, Stith was selected by the Jacksonville Jaguars with the 243rd pick overall. He now earns the NFL's minimum salary and spends most of his time on the bench. He lost, at the very least, a shot at a college degree and possibly the chance to improve both his draft position and the size of his contract. In a post-draft chat on ESPN.com, despite having overestimated the NFL's interest in Stith by nearly 200 picks, Kiper was unmoved: "Everybody has to be held responsible for their own decisions." Everybody, that is, except Mel Kiper.

The statement in bold is a flat out lie. Many, many players who come out early return to get their degree, and I really doubt any player puts too much stock in mock drafts or guides. The only person they normally listen to is family and sadly their agents who over hype the player.

I Don't care for Kipers "big board" but he's doing what he's paid to do, and he shouldn't be blamed for any player being drafted where they are nor should he receive credit if a player is taken b4 he should be taken.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
MONT17 said:
anyone have a feeling Jerry will trade up? there r true playmakers that could fall to 10... I know trading down is JERRYs thing but to add a player like VD to this O would be a once in alife time shot!!!

as far as Kiper his complete bashing of Q CARTER caused Jerry and the Boys to be the laughing stock of the NFL... and most casual Cowboy fans bought every word he said and the backlash of his draft status! I'm not saying CARTER was great but he was better than people gave him crdit... and should have been looked at as the BACKUP who can win games and not the guy who is the FUTURE!!!
No offense, but Kiper did not cause that. Every media person who reports on the Draft, independant of Mel Kiper, panned that selection as a reach and a bad move. Kiper said it on TV and most of them saw it, but believe it or not, these guys do think for themselves. Furthermore, he was right (they all were), so he should be acknowledged for that, not panned.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Actually Bryan Curtis (the writer) has this all wrong. Kiper hates to put out mock drafts. He is into information gathering and ranking players. ESPN put the pressure on him to come up with his mocks. He admits he isn't great at them either.

Kiper does a pretty decent job and is better than this writer portrays him. Rick Gosselin is the best at mock drafts that is true. It really isn't fair to compare the two because they don't specialize in the same thing.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but Joel Buchbaum (sp) was the best. Kiper couldn't carry Joel's eraser. I miss Joel Reports.:(

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
cajuncowboy said:
I'm sorry, but Joel Buchbaum (sp) was the best. Kiper couldn't carry Joel's eraser. I miss Joel Reports.:(
Well that is true. I almost always bought his draft preview. I miss his reports also.

Cowboys&Caps

Reaction score
honestly though who needed this article to know that Kiper isn't very good?

We all know he stinks

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
J.Jones21 said:
honestly though who needed this article to know that Kiper isn't very good?

We all know he stinks
He doesn't stink. He isn't perfect but he is pretty good at what he does.

conner01

Reaction score
to give credit where credit is due. kiper is a big reason why the draft is no longer done in privet and the fans hear about it the next day. he is a big part of turning the event into what it is. there is a difference in a mock like goose does that is what he thinks teams "will" do, and what kiper does and list what he thinks teams should do.he is wrong alot like most others but he has been a huge part of turning the draft into a super event

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
I agree. I'm not looking for any "draftnik" to tell me with 100% accuracy who is going where.

I'm looking for someone who can tell me the positives and negatives of a player and give me a fairly reasonable sense of his worth.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile said:
I agree. I'm not looking for any "draftnik" to tell me with 100% accuracy who is going where.

I'm looking for someone who can tell me the positives and negatives of a player and give me a fairly reasonable sense of his worth.
That is what Kiper can do. And he is good at it.

His mocks (again not his speciality) are usually wrong after some of the obvious top picks.

Side note: I'll take Kiper any day over Joey T. I hope he isn't on ESPN's draft coverage team this year.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
He may not stink but he's overrated. He's overrated in that most casual fans think he's THE source for draft info. Perhaps that was true a decade ago, but not today.