Kiper Invitational Chatter

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Well...It's the Cowboys pick...if it was up to me....my sleeper pick would be...

Azeez Al-Shaair SS/LB Florida Atlantic

Think Darren Woodson....move from LB in college to SS.

ppbp-032118-fau-2.jpg

tm1119

Reaction score
I did too. Mine was ryan Finley...

Yeah I thought about Finley, but went after a higher upside guy that can learn for a year or 2 behind Rivers. I feel like Finley kinda is what he is, not much potential. Jackson may never work out, but if he does make it the upside is very high

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's it. Please check your team listing in the team by team selections thread and make sure I didn't make a mistake on your draft class.

Then whenever you can in the next few days, grade each class for me from 1-10, 1 being terrible and 10 being excellent and send those grades to me. Also pick your biggest steal of the draft and biggest reach. I'll take grades up to Friday and post the results over the weekend.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Raiders final picks...

5(141) Dontavius Russell NT Auburn
6(196) Alize' Mack TE Notre Dame
7(218) Byron Cowart DE5 Maryland
7(235) Porter Gustin DE/OLB USC

tm1119

Reaction score
Carl granderson, de Wyoming
I think he could be a real solid rotational guy.

He’s interesting, I thought about taking him in the 4th...but he has a pending DV case so I stayed away assuming the same will happen Draft day. Unless he’s able to clear his name, don’t know many details on it

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/tr...59245cf0-059a-5ad7-8fb5-b14438bbf15b.amp.html

cowboyec

Reaction score
unless Im blind,Im surprised Isaiah Johnson,CB-Houston.
he's a big,tall corner Id love to see here.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He’s interesting, I thought about taking him in the 4th...but he has a pending DV case so I stayed away assuming the same will happen Draft day. Unless he’s able to clear his name, don’t know many details on it

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/tr...59245cf0-059a-5ad7-8fb5-b14438bbf15b.amp.html
Exactly why I didn't take him. I only read about that dv last night. Was gonna take him with my comp pick....

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Just want to say a huge thank you again to @Risen Star for putting this together again. Year after year it is a fantastic exercise where you can really get to learn about the guys who will be drafted in April.
And a big thanks to all those who participated this year. It seems we had very few no shows. Cheers.
And its obvious the colts cleaned up.....

cowboyec

Reaction score
unless Im blind,Im surprised Isaiah Johnson,CB-Houston.
he's a big,tall corner Id love to see here.
excuse my sleepiness.
I meant.....Im surprised Isaiah Johnson,CB-Houston is still on the board?
Id love for him to get drafted by us...big,tall corner Richard seems to like.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A brief review of my class....

1(23) T.J. Hockenson TE Iowa

I had 3 targets in the first round. Move up for Kyler Murray or T.J. Hockenson or stay at 32 and hope Jeffery Simmons fell to me. I couldn't get up to 12 ahead of Miami for Murray and made the decision there was too much value with Hockenson here to stand pat. When the Colts ended up taking Simmons at 26 I felt even better about the trade. Not that Hockenson wouldn't be a success anywhere but this is the perfect spot for him.

2(56) Garrett Bradbury C North Carolina St.
You guys undervalue interior offensive linemen. What the hell is he doing at 56? Bradbury's a top 30 player in this draft. I know the Patriots don't have an immediate need here but down the road this will pay dividends.

2(64) Riley Ridley WR Georgia
The Jermaine Jackson to his brother Calvin's Michael? Perhaps but I think the guy is a good football player in his own right. Great route runner. If you can run precise routes in the NFL you can minimize any speed deficiencies and prolong your career. Not that he's slow, he's not. He's just not a burner. I think he'd be a great fit in New England.

3(73) D'Andre Walker OLB Georgia
I went offense with my first three picks. I didn't expect that. The Patriots have more needs on defense particularly on the defensive line. Walker's burst and bend off the edge intrigues me even if he is a bit undersized. This is the Patriots. They know how to utilize the skills of their players. I had that advantage going in. Don't worry about fits. They will figure it out and you know they would here.

3(101) Armon Watts DT Arkansas
Depending on what Draft resources you use you either have never really heard of Watts or you think he's one of the top sleepers of the DT class this year. I'm obviously the latter, though I do admit having only one year of production makes him even more risky than your typical draft pick. For all the talk of the great depth of this draft (Kiper calls it "historic") I didn't see much that excited me by this point. I didn't feel like I was reaching around anyone to take a pet cat. I'll hand this kid off to Belichick and he'll make me look like a genius.

4(134) Jarrett Stidham QB Auburn
You probably think I'm a QB savant because of my Wentz prophesies. That is actually not the case. It's my most difficult position to evaluate. I hate doing it. I've been burned too many times. One QB excites me in this draft and he went to Miami in our mock. Still, Brian Hoyer is the backup in New England. Even if Brady has years left you have to address the backup spot. Stidham has a chance and he's probably going at least a round higher than this in the actual draft.

-

In review, I would be surprised if I didn't come away with 3 eventual starters in my first 3 picks. All bets are off with the last 3 but I bet they find a role on that team at the minimum.

Questfor6

Reaction score
Draft overview for Houston Texans.

1. 23. Sitting at 23 I had my eyes on Jawaan Taylor while working the phone in trade contingency plans in case he were gone. Seattle pulled the rug out from under me at 21 and took Jawaan. The Pats called with an offer when we went on the clock and offered up a good deal to move back.

1. 32. Andre Dillard OT Washington St- After trading back Dillard and Josh Jacobs became my top 2 targets, Floaty helped me out with my selection with his Jacobs pick at 24. Watson was sacked 62 times last year which was a league worst, the Texans Oline is in need of a complete overhaul and Dillard is a good start. He's raw but has elite upside to play left tackle in the league.

2. 54. JJ Arcega-Whiteside WR Stanford- I was shocked he lasted this long to honest I had to double check my board. This guy is Mike Evans 2.0, his only questions will be about his ability to separate which he did just fine in college. Will Fuller and Keke Coutee arent dependable and adding JJ doesn't put all the burden on Nuke anymore outside.

2. 55. David Edwards OT Wisconsin- Again Watson was sacked 62 times last year. Edwards is a former high school QB turned college TE then switched to OT during his time in Madison. Edwards can pencil in at RT and give Watson two new mammoths to protect him in the 2019 season.

3. 86. David Montgomery RB Iowa State- Nearly took him a round earlier and tried to trade up multiple times in round 3 to get him but to no avail and got lucky he fell to me. Montgomery reminds me of David Johnson in his style of play, great runner inside the tackles and a + pass catcher. Lamar Miller is old and D'Onta Foreman cant stay healthy, new blood is needed.

3. 97. DeMarcus Christmas DE Florida State- Chris Covington is a free agent and DJ Reader is replaceable along the Texans front. The Texans were gashed in their lone playoff game this year by Marlon Mack for 148 yds & 1 TD. Christmas graded out as a plus run defender this past season at FSU & provides good depth to their Dline.

Overall this was mainly a Watson friendly draft in not only keeping him upright but upgrading the weapons he has at his disposal. I would have liked to have added a corner and tried to trade back into the 4th a few times to no avail. Kris Boyd of Texas & Houston's own Isaiah Johnson Jr were my targets.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Tennessee Titans...the who,what and why.

over-all I had 4 goals in mind...strengthen the interior on both lines...get an edge rusher to partner with Harold Landry and get Mariota a weapon...WR or TE...I like Corey Davis and Taywan Taylor but with TE Delane Walker coming off an injury...TE was foremost in the weapon category.

•Rd1:Christian Wilkins,DT-Clemson:there were 3 players I coveted when I accepted Risen's invite to crash this mock...Devin White,LB-Lsu...Montez Sweat,DE-Ms St and Christian Wilkins....when the others were taken....this pick was easy...he's a 4qtr disrupter vs the run and can get after the QB....you can move him up and down the line.
with f/a looming and age calling....and needing to match the colts physicality....this was an easy pick.Wilkins is one of the best players in the draft and a 4qtr game changer.

•Rd2:Austin Bryant,DE-Clemson....Harold Landry will pick up the mantle of alpha-pass rusher with Orakpo's retirement...but I wanted a big,physical DE who can play vs the run as well as he rushes the passer....I considered Riley Ridley but knew the DEs I like would be picked over so I took a 6'5...283lb ready made DE...will play all downs and paired with Wilkins and Landry...give me a special trio.

•Rd3:Kaden Smith,TE-Stanford...I had a 2nd Rd grade on him and I like his game.This was a steal and gives me a typical Nfl TE.If Walker is back to normal...I got one helluva TE combo.
If he ain't...I got a 10yr pro.I was surprised he lasted til the 3rd.
plus I suck at eval's for WRs.

•Rd4-Dru Samia,OG-Ou....Tennessee has 2 great OTs and a solid C...but I wasnt thrilled with the interior...Samia has a Neanderthal like nastiness to his game I like...a physicality that lasts well into the 4th Qtr.I for see no problem as he moves from starting at Ou to starting for Coach Vrabel.

I feel good I found 4 starters for the Titans...an interior presence on the DL to help me vs Quenton Nelson....a 4 down DE to partner with Harold Landry...a quality safety blanket type weapon for my QB at TE and a neanderthal nastiness to the interior of my OL and protect my franchise QB.
mission.
accomplished.

Last edited: