Kiper Invitational Chatter

tm1119

Reaction score
Giants
Went into the draft not liking any of the QB’s enough to use such a high pick on 1. Yes Eli sucks and is washed up, but drafting the wrong qb can set a franchise back for years. Didn’t want to force the pick for a need instead of waiting for the right QB.

Round 1- Trade Back + Jonah Williams- Without a QB on the board I went into round 1 with a 5 man board really hoping all weren’t gone by pick 6. 3 were gone and I had to choose between Ed Oliver and Jonah Williams. Giants need o line help badly , so I was leaning towards Williams when a trade offer came through. Getting a 3rd and a 4th to move down 5 spots was a no brainer for me. And Jonah Williams (the best pure OT in the class) still being available at 11 was also a no brainer. Giants now have 3 cornerstone O-Lineman to build their offense around.

Round 2- Zach Allen DE BC- This was actually the worst round for me. I had my eye on 2 safeties, Adderley and Thompson. Adderley surprisingly went 1st so I tried to trade up for Thompson but was unable to. Left on the clock and unable to trade down I went with what I felt was the safest pick. Allen isn’t spectacular or the best athlete, but he does just about everything well and has a non-stop motor. Should fit nicely as a hybrid 5-tech type for the giants to pair with BJ Hill. Should be an instant solid starter.

Round 2- Taylor Rapp S Washington - I felt I really needed to plug a hole at S for the Giants. Their S play was already awful last year and Collins seems poised to get a big payday elsewhere. Rapp was still sitting on the board at the end of the 2nd and I feel he is a plug and play starter at SS so I moved up with the extra picks I got earlier to secure him. Essentially I ended up with both Jonah Williams and Taylor Rapp with the #6 pick. Not too shabby if you ask me...

Round 4- Will Grier QB WVU- Say what you want about Grier and his arm strength, but the kid is a gamer. Do I think he will be a franchise QB? Probably not. But do I think there’s definitely a chance? For sure, there are enough intangibles and skill there for him to be a starter in the league. 4th round pick was a no brainer for me to take a chance on a QB, Grier still being available was a pleasant surprise. The plan would be to start Eli for 10 games and then move on to Grier for the last 6 to see if there’s anything worth looking into further.

Round 4- Justin Hollins OLB Oregon- I think this is a very underrated pass rusher that won’t be available this late come Draft time. He did a little bit of everything for Oregon and put up some very solid stats, but looked most impressive when using his speed and bend to turn the corner as a pass rusher. He has a great frame at 6’5 240 and dominated the Shrine game and won MVP with 10 tackles and 2 sacks. Really think this kid will be at least a solid rotation guy in the near future.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Panthers

Carolina is very strong down the middle of their defense (DTs and LBs) but can otherwise use help all over their roster. I tried to stay true to my board and traded down when things weren't matching up as well as I'd like. The Panthers have lost several vets in the offseason due to release (CB Capt Mudderlin, S Mike Adams) or retirement (DE Julius Peppers). For the most part, taking the best players available (within reason) was easy.

Rd 1(16) Greedy Williams, CB, LSU
Williams is a rangy, athletic, lock-down corner with nice ball skills. He's the type of player that has opposing teams throwing the other way most of time. Most of the draftniks like him going in the top 10. Paired with Donte Jackson, this could be a strong tandem for years to come....hopefully. There would good choices at 16, but I liked Williams the most that late in the 1st.

Rd 2(47) Dalton Risner, OG/T, Kansas St
All American Risner is an outstanding all around lineman who dominated Montez Sweat when faced Miss St this year. Carolina desperately needs help on the line and is also expected to grab a FA. Risner could slide in as a starter at RT or OG if all goes as planned.

Rd 3(88) Juan Thornhill, S, Virginia
When things weren't going quite as planned, I dropped down from pick 77 to 88 and picked up a 4th rounder for the trouble.
Thornhill has experience at CB but is made for strong safety. 6'1" and 210lbs. He has solid cover skills but is an especially sure tackler who takes nice angles. Carolina released Mike Adams so they'll be looking at safety, so the position matches with the draft slot. I thy not to get too influenced by rankings, but 5 of the 6 I looked at had Thornhill ranked in 40s and 50s...so 88 works as well.

Rd 3 (100) Gerald Willis III, DT, Miami
Willis will enter an already strong interior defensive line rotation for the Panthers, as a rookie. Dontarie Poe and Kawann Short are getting older and a rotation should make the Panthers even more dominant in the middle. We all like the guys we pick, were we pick them, but I really think Willis was nice value all the way down at pick 100. At least on my board, I had to take him here.

Rd 4 (111) Anthony Nelson, DE, Iowa
Although I expect Carolina to enter the FA market to find help on the edge, I also see them drafting the position as well.
Nelson is very intriguing. Not only does he have size, power, awareness, and a great motor...the guy is 6'7 and 270 lbs.
With the 111th pick, it came down to Nelson or one of the RBs for me and my board. With the 115th pick still left (due to the trade dwon in round 3, I thought I could still get one of the two backs that I liked.

Rd 4 (115) Benny Snell, RB, Kentucky
Christian McCaffery was amazing in 2018, but the Panthers need to pair him with another back or risk early burnout.
For some reason, a lot of really highly regarded RBs dropped in our mock. I've always felt you could get good backs a bit later and this looks to be one of these years. (Could bode well for Dallas late in the draft too)
A Second Team All-American, Snell was, imo, a real nice find at pick 115. He holds all of Kentucky's rushing records and at 5'11", 223 lbs, has nice burst, vision, and feet. He could make a very nice compliment to McCaffery.

Last edited:

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was targeting Thornhill or Willis at 101 and Carolina took both. Don't know why he forgot to include WIllis in his breakdown.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don't be reluctant to grade me harshly. I don't care. I'm far more interested in how the classes look 5 years from now than what the grading turns out to be now.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Panthers

Carolina is very strong down the middle of their defense (DTs and LBs) but can otherwise use help all over their roster. I tried to stay true to my board and traded down when things weren't matching up as well as I'd like. The Panthers have lost several vets in the offseason due to release (CB Capt Mudderlin, S Mike Adams) or retirement (DE Julius Peppers). For the most part, taking the best players available (within reason) was easy.

Rd 1(16) Greedy Williams, CB, LSU
Williams is a rangy, athletic, lock-down corner with nice ball skills. He's the type of player that has opposing teams throwing the other way most of time. Most of the draftniks like him going in the top 10. Paired with Donte Jackson, this could be a strong tandem for years to come....hopefully. There would good choices at 16, but I liked Williams the most that late in the 1st.

Rd 2(47) Dalton Risner, OG/T, Kansas St
All American Risner is an outstanding all around lineman who dominated Montez Sweat when faced Miss St this year. Carolina desperately needs help on the line and is also expected to grab a FA. Risner could slide in as a starter at RT or OG if all goes as planned.

Rd 3(88) Juan Thornhill, S, Virginia
When things weren't going quite as planned, I dropped down from pick 77 to 88 and picked up a 4th rounder for the trouble.
Thornhill has experience at CB but is made for strong safety. 6'1" and 210lbs. He has solid cover skills but is an especially sure tackler who takes nice angles. Carolina released Mike Adams so they'll be looking at safety, so the position matches with the draft slot. I thy not to get too influenced by rankings, but 5 of the 6 I looked at had Thornhill ranked in 40s and 50s...so 88 works as well.

Rd 3 (100) Gerald Willis III, DT, Miami
Willis will enter an already strong interior defensive line rotation for the Panthers, as a rookie. Dontarie Poe and Kawann Short are getting older and a rotation should make the Panthers even more dominant in the middle. We all like the guys we pick, were we pick them, but I really think Willis was nice value all the way down at pick 100. At least on my board, I had to take him here.

Rd 4 (111) Anthony Nelson, DE, Iowa
Although I expect Carolina to enter the FA market to find help on the edge, I also see them drafting the position as well.
Nelson is very intriguing. Not only does he have size, power, awareness, and a great motor...the guy is 6'7 and 270 lbs.
With the 111th pick, it came down to Nelson or one of the RBs for me and my board. With the 115th pick still left (due to the trade dwon in round 3, I thought I could still get one of the two backs that I liked.

Rd 4 (115) Benny Snell, RB, Kentucky
Christian McCaffery was amazing in 2018, but the Panthers need to pair him with another back or risk early burnout.
For some reason, a lot of really highly regarded RBs dropped in our mock. I've always felt you could get good backs a bit later and this looks to be one of these years. (Could bode well for Dallas late in the draft too)
A Second Team All-American, Snell was, imo, a real nice find at pick 115. He holds all of Kentucky's rushing records and at 5'11", 223 lbs, has nice burst, vision, and feet. He could make a very nice compliment to McCaffery.
this is a helluva draft class.

Pape

Reaction score
Detroit

1.8: Clellin Ferrel, DE, Clemson
6’4”, 265 … One of the better of the edge rushers in the game right now. Has the frame to bulk up a bit and still keep his speed. Has the ability to crash the pocket, and has made a living in the backfield. Every year he has gotten better for Clemson. I expect him to fit in very well as a replacement for Ansah in Detroit.

2.43 Mack Wilson, ILB, Alabama
6’2”, 236 ILB … I love the way this guy moves across the field. His coverage skills are some of the best and has good hands to boot. He has the ability to dissect plays on the run and the speed to move from side to side to make plays. I love the way he tackles. Can lay out a guy with a big hit, but usually wrap tackles. Good form. Probably my favorite pick in the whole draft.

3.77 Chase Winovich, OLB, Michigan
6’3”, 253 OLB/DE Versitile end or backer, as you need. Wasn’t my target when I decided to move up, but with the only option being 77, I couldn’t get high enough - Tight ends Sternberger & Nauta came off the boards early and the back up selection, CB Julian Love got taken as well. So, Chase was it. Moves well… I think sometimes he jumps a little too fast and doesn’t read the ball as well as Mack Wilson, but has the speed and ability to play catch up. Is good at containment, and knows how to stay on his spot, something which will be come more and more important in the NFL.

Draft moves:
Swapped 3.88 & 4.111 for 3.77 & 6.187

FloridaRob

Reaction score
I really need grades. I've only gotten a few so far.
I will work on them tonight. Wife was in wreck and having to run to dr every day, grandkids have baseball every night except Wednesday and I am slammed at work.

Plankton

Reaction score
Going into this draft, the Bills were a mess. They carried $68M in dead cap money in the 2018 season, and had a talent depleted roster due to a lack of available money to spend. Even worse, the Bills had 1 player on their roster remaining from the 2012-2017 drafts, and that player, Shaq Lawson, is likely playing himself off of the team. The organization is pinning their hopes on having the third most available cap space in this upcoming offseason, and the drafting of Josh Allen a season ago. While I’m personally not a big fan of Allen, he has physical tools to work with – good size, good mobility and a huge arm. His accuracy leaves a lot to be desired, but he showed a lot of toughness under duress. The future of the team is building around him.

The goals going into this event was to add talent. This team is bereft of talent in most areas: WR, TE, OT, OG, C, DT, DE and CB are all areas of need. If the Bills could emerge from this draft adding talent in these areas, and providing support around Allen, it would go a long way toward bringing the Bills back to being respectable.

1(9) Ed Oliver DT Houston – I ran a number of mock draft simulations ahead of this event, and the two players who seemed to be the best value that were most frequently available were Jonah Williams and Ed Oliver. While Williams would have definitely filled a need (would have been plug and play at RT), Oliver was the higher rated player on my board, so I selected the Houston DT. Oliver slides into the position vacated by the recently retired Kyle Williams, and will provide explosive quickness on the pass rush from the interior. Yes, he’s undersized. Yes, he didn’t have the greatest of junior seasons. But, he was a player who was regarded as a potential top overall pick entering this last season, and has been an excellent player at the college level. His movement skills make him hard to deal with, and with the slide down to #9, you should have a highly motivated player. Oliver will team with Star Lotulelei and Harrison Phillips inside to make a strong tandem, and will help Jerry Hughes as well on the pass rush.

2(40) Irv Smith Jr. TE Alabama – I had been eyeing A.J. Brown and N’Keal Harry at this selection, but both went ahead of my pick. Looking at the available players, Smith represented the best value on the board, as well as a security blanket for Allen. Having just released Charles Clay, TE was a definite need for the Bills. Smith provides a two way TE who can block in the running game, as well as provide a strong option on seam routes and sitting down against zones. I also like his bloodlines, with his father having a good seven year career in the NFL.

3(74) Hakeem Butler WR Iowa St. – I had tried with multiple teams to move up into the late second round to try and get Elgton Jenkins, who slid for reasons I still can’t figure out. Unsuccessful in my efforts, I turned my attention toward another weapon for Allen. What’s the best cure for a quarterback with accuracy issues? Give him a guy with a large catch radius. Butler is just that – he’s 6’5”, but moves much better than you would think (averaged 22 yards per catch as a junior). Butler was a big play guy for Iowa State this past season, and is just the ticket for a guy like Allen – able to adjust to off target throws, and able to get over the top of a secondary at times. He’s a walk in starter, and along with Smith and Zay Jones will provide Allen with an improved receiving corps.

4(112) Kendall Sheffield CB Ohio St. – Corner is another area of weakness for the Bills. They have a solid player in Tre’Davious White, but little else behind or around him. Enter Kendall Sheffield. Ohio State has produced a number of early round cornerbacks over the last five years, and while Sheffield isn’t on the level of Denzel Ward or Marshon Lattimore, he has a lot of tools to work with. Sheffield may be the fastest player that will be available in this draft, and his play improved as the season moved on. He needs to improve his film study skills, as he’s susceptible to double moves, but he has makeup speed to burn and can make plays on the ball and is more physical than you would think. With time, I think Sheffield will develop into a solid starter. I also considered Benny Snell with this pick, but I had roughly the same grade on both players, and went for the need position.

4(131) Max Scharping T Northern Illinois – Aside from Dion Dawkins, the Bills offensive line is a disaster. Expect this to get a lot of attention in free agency. At this point in the draft, you look for guys with toughness that can develop. Max Scharping is a guy who started 53 games at Northern Illinois, and has experience at both left and right tackle. He’s not the prettiest player in the world, but he will battle and fight to the whistle. He only allowed one sack over his last three seasons, and is a good, assignment sound player. Left tackle would be a stretch for him at this level, but he has the potential to be a solid right tackle, which lines up with a huge hole on the Bill offensive line. Guys like Scharping tend to be guys who quietly enjoy 7-10 year careers in the NFL.

Last edited:

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I forgot to thank everyone for participating in this. It went rather smoothly. Props and likes to you all.

DeadAnotherAgouti-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Colts

Obviously we don't know how free agency will play out which is really tough for a team like Indy that has 100m in space to use and their franchise QB under contract.
That said we need CB, DL and a WR to pair with TY Hilton. Always best to try to balance those needs with BPA on the board.

1(26) - Jeffery Simmons , DT

Quite simply this could be the bargain if the draft. Top 5 player if healthy, which he isnt but coming back from an ACL isnt what it used to be and he could even contribute later in the year. Even if he doesnt redshirting a dominant player on such a good young team is a luxury they can afford. Too good not to take. The draft isnt all about instant results. He will be a centre piece on Eberfleus D for a long time.

2(34) Deebo Samuel , WR

I was hoping Jaylin Ferguson would have been here but he went late round 1 so I dipped into the receiving well for Deebo whom I think is the best route runner in this draft, much like Gallup was last year. Can play in or out, run jet motion and even return kicks. Good soft hands and not scared to go over the middle. Andrew Luck coukd make this kid a star.

2(59) Julian Love, CB

Was hoping a good DE was available here but the value didn't match up so I took my # 4 CB.
Excels playing off coverage so is a perfect fit in this D. Tough and with good not great speed. Can step in day 1 in nickel and start later in the year. Ticks all the boxes.

3(89) LJ Collier, DE

Was targetting Montgomery or Singletary here but they went back to back 2 spots before I picked so DE was my pressing need and I did not expect this under the radar kid to still be here. Jeremiah has him as a top 50 guy. Can be a good rotational guy day 1 and contribute.

4(129) Darnell Savage, S

Great speedy safety who plays downhill fast and hard. Perfect to partner Malik Hooker. Can play the slot and nickel sets. Can play sideline to sideline. Good tackle can help in ST day 1

4(135) TJ Edward's, ILB

was gonna take another DE but Carl Granderson is being done for DV.
Edward's is a typical badger. Well coached, hard hitting linebacker who loves hitting. Was heart and soul of badgers D , good run/pass diagnosis and fills gaps. Day 1 ST guy.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Colts

Obviously we don't know how free agency will play out which is really tough for a team like Indy that has 100m in space to use and their franchise QB under contract.
That said we need CB, DL and a WR to pair with TY Hilton. Always best to try to balance those needs with BPA on the board.

1(26) - Jeffery Simmons , DT

Quite simply this could be the bargain if the draft. Top 5 player if healthy, which he isnt but coming back from an ACL isnt what it used to be and he could even contribute later in the year. Even if he doesnt redshirting a dominant player on such a good young team is a luxury they can afford. Too good not to take. The draft isnt all about instant results. He will be a centre piece on Eberfleus D for a long time.

2(34) Deebo Samuel , WR

I was hoping Jaylin Ferguson would have been here but he went late round 1 so I dipped into the receiving well for Deebo whom I think is the best route runner in this draft, much like Gallup was last year. Can play in or out, run jet motion and even return kicks. Good soft hands and not scared to go over the middle. Andrew Luck coukd make this kid a star.

2(59) Julian Love, CB

Was hoping a good DE was available here but the value didn't match up so I took my # 4 CB.
Excels playing off coverage so is a perfect fit in this D. Tough and with good not great speed. Can step in day 1 in nickel and start later in the year. Ticks all the boxes.

3(89) LJ Collier, DE

Was targetting Montgomery or Singletary here but they went back to back 2 spots before I picked so DE was my pressing need and I did not expect this under the radar kid to still be here. Jeremiah has him as a top 50 guy. Can be a good rotational guy day 1 and contribute.

4(129) Darnell Savage, S

Great speedy safety who plays downhill fast and hard. Perfect to partner Malik Hooker. Can play the slot and nickel sets. Can play sideline to sideline. Good tackle can help in ST day 1

4(135) TJ Edward's, ILB

was gonna take another DE but Carl Granderson is being done for DV.
Edward's is a typical badger. Well coached, hard hitting linebacker who loves hitting. Was heart and soul of badgers D , good run/pass diagnosis and fills gaps. Day 1 ST guy.
nice work.

FloridaRob

Reaction score
Packers

1. Polite, edge from UF. Packers need speed on outside. Clay Matthew's is probably moving on, Nick Perry is always hurt and that is it. Polite may not be a 3 down lb at first but he has the speed to get to the qb. Many draft guides have him in top 15 so he went where he was expected.

2. Hollywood Brown.. randall Cobb is done and moving on. Packers picked 3 big wrs last year and two of them look to be studs. But they need a slot and this kid gets separation as soon as he steps on the field.

3. Chris lindstrom guard. Packers interior line was a disaster last year. Would have lovedto get cody Ford at 12 but Tampa nuked that early on. Lindstrom was 2nd rated guard, by most publications so getting him here was worth the 2 fourths floaty scammed me out of. Plug and play player.

4 Chandler Jones, top safety left. Packers have no safety's on roster. No brainers pick