Know what I've been noticing?

JMead

Reaction score
Just going to throw this out there......... Bledsoe's career average in yards is ~3600 and 18 TDs per season. Last year he had 3600 and 23 TDs ( he never has been a TD guy like Favre or Marino but still approaching 300 TDs ) so I think he has plenty left in the tank and Dallas should keep him until his arm falls off. Whats that old saying? Dont fix it if it aint broke?

I still say look to draft the " future ". As far as I can tell the future is still the starter.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
JMead said:
Just going to throw this out there......... Bledsoe's career average in yards is ~3600 and 18 TDs per season. Last year he had 3600 and 23 TDs ( he never has been a TD guy like Favre or Marino but still approaching 300 TDs ) so I think he has plenty left in the tank and Dallas should keep him until his arm falls off. Whats that old saying? Dont fix it if it aint broke?

I still say look to draft the " future ". As far as I can tell the future is still the starter.
Yeah, ok. :rolleyes:

JMead

Reaction score
theogt said:
Yeah, ok. :rolleyes:

Its the truth. The future is no longer 6 , 7 or 8+ years down the line. Its here and now because free agency will rip a team apart faster than you can say " I thought we were good? ". The future is 2 and 3 years and Bledsoe has that and more left in the tank.

cowboyed

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
no griping about the future at QB :bow:

thank you Romo, and more importantly, thanks Payton!

I really wasn't that enamored of Tony Romo until this season. At the Ranch where I have been posting 4 plus years we typecasted any Romo supporter as one of Romo's Homos. Romo just seemed so aloof to me, didn't really prove himself on the field and seemed to focus more on golf than football - off the field. In addition I erroneously viewed him as having a noodle arm and thought he wasn't worthy of over-emulating Favre.

Well I have joined the ranks of the Romo lovers. I can see why we jettisoned Henson. Romo has moxie, makes quick decisions and is fleet footed. He may not possess the strongest arm in the NFL, but he is an above average hurler and very accurate. I love his confidence, intelligence and the way he field commands his Oline supporting cast as well.

Yes, he may vex us with a high risk throw from time to time but you know what most of us secretly like that. With Romo what you see is what you get and most of it appears very good.

I don't want to take away from Bledsoe, I really admire this guy, but I can't help wishing Romo was the starter. He has put excitement back into the quarterback position in Dallas.

Angus

Reaction score
JackMagist said:
Personally I hope he never completely loses that gunslinger style. It is part of what makes him good...it is that part of his makeup that allows him to make plays like the one with the high snap. Certainly he needs to tame that aspect of his makeup and control it but I don't want him to lose it. Staubach had that same aspect in his mentality and it was part of what made him great.

I agree. Romo is more like Staubach than many want to admit.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
JackMagist said:
Personally I hope he never completely loses that gunslinger style.

Totally agree, Jack. Accurate gunslingers are pretty hard to find.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
Angus said:
I agree. Romo is more like Staubach than many want to admit.
Yeah. Mobility is a key similarity.

Staubach had a focus and determination that was similar to Michael Jordan's.

Romo's mental game (confidence, focus, determination) seems to be one of his strengths. Romo has got a very long way to go before his mental game could be compared to those of the all-time greats, but it does seem like Romo has the capacity to at least develop in that direction.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
JMead said:

I absolutely 100% disagree with this and I'll tell you why.

We had a true gem at QB with Troy Aikman and he had several servicable backups. Beuerlein, Kosar, Cunningham, Peete, even Garrett. None of them were in his league though. They were stop gap guys filling a role he led the team.

Right now Bledsoe is the unquestioned leader sitting in the same seat as Aikman was. Romo appears at this point to be the servicable backup. I think that could still be up in the air personally, but I'll succomb to majority opinion for the sake of this discussion.

He still very well may be a stop gap guy. Anyone who says different with any degree of certainty is simply continuing a dead fight. He might be more than that, but none of us know.

Towards the end of Aikman's career we had several chances to Draft young QBs to groom behind him and we always passed. I had a horrible feeling that was going to bite us right in the caboose and it did.

Aikman was a cap casualty and suddenly we had no viable options at QB so we reached in the Draft and took a series of gambles. Personally I appreciate it that Jerry was willing to gamble, and that he still is to a degree.

However, I think it is time to stop gambling and go back to what works. Draft a QB in round 1 and get him ready to take over. I am not interested in the we are set for years thinking. It is a recipe for failure and a return to the scrap heap.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
As for me I still think our starting QB,DB, is suspect. Good arm yes, but the time he requires to throw the ball behind our OL, although the OL has improved, troubles me very much. Heck!! Im doubious of whether he could get enough time behind a OL of all pros across the board. After saying that I will again say if Mr Bledsoe stuggles I would not be opposed with making a change.

Romo, although I was a big Henson supporter, has more than earned a chance at starting. Young QB's will make mistakes for sure but so do veterans that hold the ball too long.

Show me all the Bledsoe stats you want and I will tell you to put them in your back pocket. I could care less what DB accomplished in the past because I am only concerned as to what he accomplishes now, tomorrow, next Sunday and next month as the starting QB of my team.

I say draft a QB in every draft.....The QB position is the one position on a team that you can never come up short at. We hould have learned that lesson after Aikman retired.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
cowboyed said:
I really wasn't that enamored of Tony Romo until this season. At the Ranch where I have been posting 4 plus years we typecasted any Romo supporter as one of Romo's Homos. Romo just seemed so aloof to me, didn't really prove himself on the field and seemed to focus more on golf than football - off the field. In addition I erroneously viewed him as having a noodle arm and thought he wasn't worthy of over-emulating Favre.

Well I have joined the ranks of the Romo lovers. I can see why we jettisoned Henson. Romo has moxie, makes quick decisions and is fleet footed. He may not possess the strongest arm in the NFL, but he is an above average hurler and very accurate. I love his confidence, intelligence and the way he field commands his Oline supporting cast as well.

Yes, he may vex us with a high risk throw from time to time but you know what most of us secretly like that. With Romo what you see is what you get and most of it appears very good.

I don't want to take away from Bledsoe, I really admire this guy, but I can't help wishing Romo was the starter. He has put excitement back into the quarterback position in Dallas.

idgit, I know you hate this, but...:hammer:

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
I still think the team should draft a QB next year as well.

Parcells seems to value Wolf's opinion.....follow his lead and start drafting QBs yearly.

I don't think they will draft a big name though.

cowboyed

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
idgit, I know you hate this, but...:hammer:

Hey, even a blind chicken finds a piece of corn once in a while. I may have commented about this before summerisfunner, but you absolutely have an avatar and header statement way too cool for this board.

JMead

Reaction score
Let me put this as simple as I can.

Dallas should no push Romo into the starting role ( to bad Drew cant oversleep one week so we can all see Romo throw 5 INTs so this lovefest will end ). Not when you have a Vet that is more than capable of playing 3-5 more years. By that time Romo will be 28 or older.

Look in the draft for a future QB. Cause Romo certainly isnt it.

cowboyed

Reaction score
To clarify, I am not advocating we should immediately replace a highly experienced Bledsoe with a talented but less experienced Romo. From a fan standpoint Romo appears to be bringing more performance dimension to the table and that is very exciting.

It won't hurt my feelings if a well protected Bledsoe is able to lead us to the promised land. But Bledsoe has been bucking the injury odds and if this Oline falters Romo may give us a better chance to cope or win.

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
Just guessing, I'm thinking the original intent of this thread was to chastise those who have been very open in their opinion that the last few years have been void of any QB development.

Some because it wasn't there for them to see. Some holding true to the inaccurate portrayal that BP doesn't develop young QBs, by ignoring the fact he has done so with Simms, Hostetler, Bledsoe, and Pennington.

I've held strong to the belief, and the faith, that he has been doing just that with Henson and Romo. Didn't know which one, didn't feel the need to know. As far as I was concerned, anything besides the scatter shot method Jerry Jones has been doing was an improvement. Signing and playing a proven vet while slowly bringing along a young guy, and at the same time, building a surrounding cast to step into eventually.

It's becoming somewhat evident that this is exactly what's been happening. Far from a finished product, it's hard to believe Romo could be doing what he is doing without any development, which is what the naysayers have been saying has been happening all along.

Rather than come forth and admit to their misconceptions, it just has become eerily silent. Which says alot in itself.

As far as Hostile's contention that Romo isn't signed long term. Well, he isn't, but that's where I'll rely on that belief and faith thing again. If the people that need to know that Romo is in fact, worthy of a long term extension, I believe they'll get it done. Just as they have proven in some of their recent signings.

Quinn is basically a pipe dream, hopefully. We'd have to fall flat on our face this year to get anywhere near him without selling the ranch. I believe our chance to aquire such a talent came and went in this last draft, when Cutler and Leinhart slid to where they did, and we did nothing to move up 8-10 slots (as far as I know).

I'm all for bringing in QBs in every draft, or at least, undrafted FAs and the like. It would become another part of the formula. But I'm not fretting over who is going to be the QB here in 2009 or 10, just as I'm not too worried who the OT or center or LB will be.

At some point, you just have to cast our personell fates to the wind. Just as long as it's not JJ doing the casting.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
Hostile said:
I absolutely 100% disagree with this and I'll tell you why.

We had a true gem at QB with Troy Aikman and he had several servicable backups. Beuerlein, Kosar, Cunningham, Peete, even Garrett. None of them were in his league though. They were stop gap guys filling a role he led the team.

Right now Bledsoe is the unquestioned leader sitting in the same seat as Aikman was. Romo appears at this point to be the servicable backup. I think that could still be up in the air personally, but I'll succomb to majority opinion for the sake of this discussion.

He still very well may be a stop gap guy. Anyone who says different with any degree of certainty is simply continuing a dead fight. He might be more than that, but none of us know.

Towards the end of Aikman's career we had several chances to Draft young QBs to groom behind him and we always passed. I had a horrible feeling that was going to bite us right in the caboose and it did.

Aikman was a cap casualty and suddenly we had no viable options at QB so we reached in the Draft and took a series of gambles. Personally I appreciate it that Jerry was willing to gamble, and that he still is to a degree.

However, I think it is time to stop gambling and go back to what works. Draft a QB in round 1 and get him ready to take over. I am not interested in the we are set for years thinking. It is a recipe for failure and a return to the scrap heap.
When I think of those years, I don't think about how the Cowboys should have drafted an up-and-coming QB. I think about how horrible their offensive line was. Aikman got battered when he should have been enjoying the prime of his career. Anthony Wright came into the league with some promise. Despite his mobility, he had absolutely no chance behind that line. Virtually no quarterback could have had success behind such a poor line (see David Carr).

No, IMO, the first, second and third priority for this team should be to build an offensive line for the future. I am hopeful that Columbo can be a good RT. He has a year to show it. All of the talk about McQuistan is encouraging and promising. Maybe he will turn out to be the LT of the future. The interior OL is a mess. Anyway, the Cowboys need to build a legitimate OL as soon as possible.

Once the OL is in place, all other things become possible - including a young traditional pocket passing QB.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
JMead said:

Dallas should no push Romo into the starting role ( to bad Drew cant oversleep one week so we can all see Romo throw 5 INTs so this lovefest will end ). Not when you have a Vet that is more than capable of playing 3-5 more years. By that time Romo will be 28 or older.

No player going into the season as Bledsoe's backup is going to be good enough for you. It wouldn't matter if the guy turned out to be twice as good, the next Peyton Manning in stats and Joe Montana in winning big games, and you'd still disapprove of it. You'd say Bledsoe was good enough to get the job done and should have been given that chance. Even if there's no evidence he could other than opinion.

How do I know this? Tom Brady.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
JMead said:

That line of thinking keeps Roger Staubach on the sideline.