Konz and Zeitler

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
supercowboy8;4206485 said:
I'm arguing it one way because he brought it up the other way.

I wouldn't really, just depends on who is there. Dallas and many teams take players lower on the board if they are close and feel a position of more need.
If there is a big difference then I would be ok with it. But I would be really pissed if there is a player I really want but they pick a TE over that player.

Lol, yup, you pretty much gave up the ghost there..."I would be really pissed if there is a player I REALLY WANT but they pick a TE over that player."

supercowboy8

Reaction score
I guess what I'm really saying is don't reach for a #2 TE or pass up a really good OL for a #2 TE. It would be different if we need a #1 TE.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
realtick;4206508 said:
Lol, yup, you pretty much gave up the ghost there..."I would be really pissed if there is a player I REALLY WANT but they pick a TE over that player."

and you wouldn't it would be 2006 and 2008 all over again for me.
I mean if we don't get a OL in the 1st and Konz or Zeitler is there in the 2nd and Dallas gets a #2 TE over them yeah I would be pissed and I would hope other fans would be too.

2006 we drafted Fasano
I wanted McNeil, Hester, or Maurice Jones Drew.

2008 draft Bennett
I wanted Terrell Thomas, Kendell Langford, or Charles Godfrey

supercowboy8

Reaction score
Also this draft isn't very deep in TEs. I only like 3 and all are underclassman.
Dwayne Allen*, TE, Clemson
Orson Charles*, TE, Georgia
Tyler Eifert*, TE, Notre Dame (not a speedster, more of your classic TE)

Coby Fleener, TE, Stanford is the only senior I like right now and he isn't a 2nd round pick.

Now for speed WR returner here are some I really like
T.Y. Hilton, WR/KR, Florida International
Marquis Maze, WR/PR, Alabama
Chris Rainey, WR/RB/KR/PR, Florida
all three could most likely be had in the 3rd or later

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
supercowboy8;4206531 said:
and you wouldn't it would be 2006 and 2008 all over again for me.
I mean if we don't get a OL in the 1st and Konz or Zeitler is there in the 2nd and Dallas gets a #2 TE over them yeah I would be pissed and I would hope other fans would be too.

2006 we drafted Fasano
I wanted McNeil, Hester, or Maurice Jones Drew.

2008 draft Bennett
I wanted Terrell Thomas, Kendell Langford, or Charles Godfrey

In '06 we had Julius Jones and MBIII in their primes. I wasn't enamored with the Fasano pick but I understood the logic behind it. Quick, can you name the other TEs on the Cowboys' roster at that time (excluding Witten)?

In '08 they wanted a TE to replace the departed Fasano. Bennett was a 2nd round pick (#61 overall).

Godfrey was a 3rd round pick (#67), Langford 3rd round (#66) and Thomas was a 2nd rounder (#63). So you're saying you would have reached for Langford and Godrey a round earlier in the 2nd?

They took Mike Jenkins in the 1st round that same draft (2008) and eventually drafted Orlando Scandrick in the 5th. Regardless, after taking Jenkins in the 1st, why would they take Thomas as well instead of addressing a position of need? You're looking at it in retrospect saying "oh, well I wish we would have taken player X at this spot instead of player Y..." Problem is, that's not how things unfolded in reality the day of the draft.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
realtick;4206622 said:
In '06 we had Julius Jones and MBIII in their primes. I wasn't enamored with the Fasano pick but I understood the logic behind it. Quick, can you name the other TEs on the Cowboys' roster at that time (excluding Witten)?

In '08 they wanted a TE to replace the departed Fasano. Bennett was a 2nd round pick (#61 overall).

Godfrey was a 3rd round pick (#67), Langford 3rd round (#66) and Thomas was a 2nd rounder (#63). So you're saying you would have reached for Langford and Godrey a round earlier in the 2nd?

They took Mike Jenkins in the 1st round that same draft (2008) and eventually drafted Orlando Scandrick in the 5th. Regardless, after taking Jenkins in the 1st, why would they take Thomas as well instead of addressing a position of need? You're looking at it in retrospect saying "oh, well I wish we would have taken player X at this spot instead of player Y..." Problem is, that's not how things unfolded in reality the day of the draft.

No I wanted Thomas and Gofrey as safties. Godfrey has been a good safety and produced more than Bennett ever will.

Yes I would have reached a round which was just at max 6 spots. Not much of a reach especailly if they would have turned out to be a better player. That isn't a reach.

I really wanted these guys, just isn't a look back. If I was going to do that I would be like we could have taken Finley besides Bennett. I will tell the truth I didn't even want Finley in the 2nd that year.

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
supercowboy8;4206844 said:
No I wanted Thomas and Gofrey as safties. Godfrey has been a good safety and produced more than Bennett ever will.

Yes I would have reached a round which was just at max 6 spots. Not much of a reach especailly if they would have turned out to be a better player. That isn't a reach.

I really wanted these guys, just isn't a look back. If I was going to do that I would be like we could have taken Finley besides Bennett. I will tell the truth I didn't even want Finley in the 2nd that year.

I liked Godfrey coming out of Iowa myself, big-time hitter with athletic ability. The Cowboys reportedly liked Terrell Thomas when he was coming out of USC too.

However, the point of all this was to question the rational/validity behind drafting a TE "high" such as the Cowboys did in '08 with Martellus Bennett.

I'm saying saying, yes, by the fact they had no viable backup TE on their roster at the time, plus the fact they wanted to incorporate more of the much ballyhooed two-TE set, it was perfectly reasonable for them to go that direction in the draft.

Now we can question whether they picked the right TE at the time, but I'm not going to question the reasoning. It's too easy to look back with the luxury of seeing what Martellus has become (or hasn't really) presently and say "yeah, we should have taken this safety, this corner, that D-lineman..." instead.

That's really what I'm saying. The point of the Cowboys drafting another TE at all this upcoming draft might be moot. I don't know what kind of demand Bennett might see on the open market, plus the Cowboys do like him as a blocker. Maybe their perceptions/expectations have changed with him, but they still like what he can do in the run game.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
The Cowboys have a lot of plays designed to get Martellus a walk-in touchdown and he always funds a way to **** it up. Another red-zone weapon like Ladarius Green would for sure be useful.

They do need interior linemen first and foremost, but they can take Konz or Decastro and they also will have some money to spend on a guy like Grubbs. Our best interior linemen this year, Kosier, could be their worst starting linemen next year. So I do think they can take a player who may seem like a luxury to the naked eye.