Konz and Zeitler

VACowboy

Reaction score
I think it would do a lot for the Dallas offense if the team put a Hernandez-type TE on the field with Witten in two-TE sets. That was the plan when Bennett was drafted in the second round. It obviously hasn't worked out that way and Bennett will likely be gone next year. So we'll need another TE anyway. I think we need a CB in one of the first three rounds, though, IMHO, so I'd go after a guy like Paulson in round 4.

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
The Realist;4204175 said:
Tell that to Brady. Hernandez and Gronkowski seem to be doing ok.

I was pounding to the table for Hernandez or Graham.

Try defending Dez, Austin, Witten and Graham.

5 receiving threats on the field at all times which a FB is not.

Green Bay is another good example.

There are loaded at WR (Driver, Jennings, Jones, Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, etc.) and have J. Finley at TE. This past draft they selected D.J. Williams, who is a talented TE from Arkansas and Ryan Taylor.

You should never worry about how you're going to distribute the ball to your weapons. Instead, you should always concern yourself with adding weapons to your team.

I think Dallas is primed to select another TE at somepoint in this next draft. I really feel like the Bennett era is coming to an end in Dallas and that they'll need to add fresh blood. Bennett, while being an adept blocker, was never the receiving threat he was purported to be.

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
VACowboy;4204250 said:
I think it would do a lot for the Dallas offense if the team put a Hernandez-type TE on the field with Witten in two-TE sets. That was the plan when Bennett was drafted in the second round. It obviously hasn't worked out that way and Bennett will likely be gone next year. So we'll need another TE anyway. I think we need a CB in one of the first three rounds, though, IMHO, so I'd go after a guy like Paulson in round 4.

I agree. Which is why I was a little bummed that things didn't work out for Martin Rucker here in Dallas. I likened him to a poor man's Aaron Hernandez or Dustin Keller.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
VACowboy;4204250 said:

Show me one team that runs two TEs that are good and put up great stats that has the weapons like Miles and Dez and a #3 like Robinson.
I can't think of one.
Saints have ton of WRs but one TE, Packers the same. The patriots have a great WR in Welker and two good TEs and Branch is no where near Miles or Dez.
You can only have so many weapons on the field at one time. To many weapons is a bad thing because you then try to spread the ball around to much and start forcing things. Dallas tried this and it didn't workout. There is a reason why no other teams do it.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
realtick;4204258 said:
Green Bay is another good example.

There are loaded at WR (Driver, Jennings, Jones, Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, etc.) and have J. Finley at TE. This past draft they selected D.J. Williams, who is a talented TE from Arkansas and Ryan Taylor.

You should never worry about how you're going to distribute the ball to your weapons. Instead, you should always concern yourself with adding weapons to your team.

I think Dallas is primed to select another TE at somepoint in this next draft. I really feel like the Bennett era is coming to an end in Dallas and that they'll need to add fresh blood. Bennett, while being an adept blocker, was never the receiving threat he was purported to be.

What has D.J. Williams and Ryan Taylor done this season, nothing and thats what a TE that Dallas drafts would do too.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
VACowboy;4204250 said:

to do what, John Phillips will be higher on the depth chart than any TE you draft.
We need OG, C, LB, DL, and CB a whole hell of alot more than another TE.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
The Realist;4204175 said:
Tell that to Brady. Hernandez and Gronkowski seem to be doing ok.

I was pounding to the table for Hernandez or Graham.

Try defending Dez, Austin, Witten and Graham.

5 receiving threats on the field at all times which a FB is not.

Brady doesn't have Dez and Miles on the outside either.
There has never been and there still isn't one NFL team that had two really good WRs and two dull time TEs.
We have enough pass catchers on this team right now to catch one football. Lets get a OL and keep building this defense.

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
supercowboy8;4204405 said:
What has D.J. Williams and Ryan Taylor done this season, nothing and thats what a TE that Dallas drafts would do too.

Lol, you're such a child.

How do you know that? If either Bennett or Phillips were the receiving threats Hernandez or Keller were, I'm sure Garrett would find a way to use them.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
realtick;4204451 said:
Lol, you're such a child.

How do you know that? If either Bennett or Phillips were the receiving threats Hernandez or Keller were, I'm sure Garrett would find a way to use them.

your calling me a child, the guy who calls people names when they don't agree with him. yeah I'm the child

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
supercowboy8;4204481 said:
your calling me a child, the guy who calls people names when they don't agree with him. yeah I'm the child

Yes, you are a child by way of your reasoning and method of trying to articulate your points.

Sometimes someone (such as yourself) can be so dense that one's only option is to describe what that person is acting like.

I know you don't do well with analogies*, but nevertheless it's like you wanting to argue with me that 2 x 2 = 6, and that six is how many sides an octagon has. I don't have time nor the energy to educate you on basic math nor geometric shapes. It's much easier for me to say you're a dunce.

Besides, we could go back through past threads and see who initiated the name calling. That would be you.

*hint...please don't respond back and say "I know what 2 x 2 means!"

supercowboy8

Reaction score
realtick;4204556 said:
Yes, you are a child by way of your reasoning and method of trying to articulate your points.

Sometimes someone (such as yourself) can be so dense that one's only option is to describe what that person is acting like.

I know you don't do well with analogies*, but nevertheless it's like you wanting to argue with me that 2 x 2 = 6, and that six is how many sides an octagon has. I don't have time nor the energy to educate you on basic math nor geometric shapes. It's much easier for me to say you're a dunce.

Besides, we could go back through past threads and see who initiated the name calling. That would be you.

*hint...please don't respond back and say "I know what 2 x 2 means!"

no I don't, All I say is I don't think drafting a TE early makes any sense at all when you already have enough weapons on offense. Then I ask show me one team that has three WRs that matches the cowboys and also has two TEs that put up great stats, and you can't do that. When your proved wrong you resulte to name calling and that is like a child.

I took points that was given by you and others and proved them wrong. Look we don't agree on anything so for now on I will never respond to anything you say and please don't respond to anything I say. You add nothing, no value, no points. YOu are the Tashard Choice and David Buehler of this forum.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
supercowboy8;4204717 said:
Then I ask show me one team that has three WRs that matches the cowboys and also has two TEs that put up great stats

We don't have 3 good WRs, we only have 2?

FWIW, the Colts for years got very good/great production from 3 WRs and a TE.

And say what you want, while Wes Welker and Deion Branch aren't as talented as either Dez or Miles, they get the job done.

I think there is definately a hole at the 3rd reciever/2nd tight end spot where we can add someone productive.

VACowboy

Reaction score
supercowboy8;4204409 said:
to do what,

To be the deep threat from the TE position, opposite Witten, that neither Bennett nor Phillips has become. It creates options from two-TE sets that the team currently does not have the personnel to employ. And it's not something that putting a third WR on the field is going to get you. It's why Bennett was drafted, in the second round no less.

John Phillips will be higher on the depth chart than any TE you draft.

And you know this how? The same way we all knew we'd start the season with Costa replacing Gurode and a late-round draft pick starting at LG? I don't think it's a stretch to think that we could draft a guy who can do things our third TE cannot and would see a fair amount of the field.

We need OG, C, LB, DL, and CB a whole hell of alot more than another TE.

You know I agree that we need players at those positions, but as I said in my post, if we lose Bennett, we are going to need another TE, period. And while I'm not advocating the selection of a TE in the first three rounds, I think we definitely need to consider the position heavily from round four on, with an eye toward finding an athletic guy who can stretch the field.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
Manwiththeplan;4204748 said:
We don't have 3 good WRs, we only have 2?

FWIW, the Colts for years got very good/great production from 3 WRs and a TE.

And say what you want, while Wes Welker and Deion Branch aren't as talented as either Dez or Miles, they get the job done.

I think there is definately a hole at the 3rd reciever/2nd tight end spot where we can add someone productive.

Robinson is a good 3, much better #3 than most teams.
Colts never had great WRs, look at that team now they just had great QB.
Wayne and Harrison and one TE. Where was the other TE?

I don't have any problem with brining in another TE but I just don't see the point in drafting on early. Cowboys have spent 2 2nd round picks on TE that has done nothing to this team. THis team needs a OG, C, DL, CB way before they need to look for a #2 TE.

John Phillips will be ahead of any TE Dallas gets in the 4th-7th round any way. If we draft a OG, C, CB, and DL in the first 4 rounds and our next pick is up and the top of the board is a TE, then fine I'm ok with that, I just don't want to put off getting a quality OG or C or CB and even DL to have a #2 TE.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
VACowboy;4204785 said:
You know I agree that we need players at those positions, but as I said in my post, if we lose Bennett, we are going to need another TE, period. And while I'm not advocating the selection of a TE in the first three rounds, I think we definitely need to consider the position heavily from round four on, with an eye toward finding an athletic guy who can stretch the field.

Thats fine I just don't want a TE early like the 2nd round like Bennet and Fasano was. That would be a waste IMO. If a TE is top on your baord in the 4th and you have a late 2nd or 3rd round value then I say take him in the 4th. But if I have a DL and a TE in the 4th, both with 3rd round value, I would take the DL.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
supercowboy8;4205037 said:
Robinson is a good 3, much better #3 than most teams.

not really. he's the 4th best "3rd WR" in the division (Jason Avant, Victor Cruz and Anthony Armstrong). I'm pretty sure if I actually looked up every team he would rank in the bottom 10 or so third WRs. He's doing fine for what we need him to do, but he's not much better than most teams #3 WRs. Remember he was cut by SD, then cut again by us all within a few weeks and no one else was rushing to sign him

Colts never had great WRs, look at that team now they just had great QB.
Wayne and Harrison and one TE. Where was the other TE?

Peyton is obviously a great QB, but when you go from have the best or 2nd best QB to the worst, even good players will look bad.

John Phillips will be ahead of any TE Dallas gets in the 4th-7th round any way.

I disagree. John Phillips is a fine #2 TE in a 1 TE offense. Based on the number of 2 TE sets we use, John Phillips needs to be a #3 TE.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
supercowboy8;4205042 said:
Thats fine I just don't want a TE early like the 2nd round like Bennet and Fasano was. That would be a waste IMO. If a TE is top on your baord in the 4th and you have a late 2nd or 3rd round value then I say take him in the 4th. But if I have a DL and a TE in the 4th, both with 3rd round value, I would take the DL.

If a TE is at the top of our board in round 2, I'd pull the trigger. Assuming we go o-line in round 1, I don't see the need to go o-line again so early. quality guards typically start to go in round 3. And I'm not sure we draft a d-linemen early, depends largely on what Hatcher does from here on out.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
Manwiththeplan;4205076 said:
If a TE is at the top of our board in round 2, I'd pull the trigger. Assuming we go o-line in round 1, I don't see the need to go o-line again so early. quality guards typically start to go in round 3. And I'm not sure we draft a d-linemen early, depends largely on what Hatcher does from here on out.

really, I mean did you not learn anything from Fasano or Bennett.
I see a big need in going OL again in round 2. Have you seen the interior of this OL. We need a day on starting Center and OG. Nagy and Costa needs to be replaced and for good.
D-line I agree with depending on FA. I think Hatcher will continue to do good, this scheme really fits him.
I don't mind a TE in the last half of the draft but with this OL and 3-4 DE and CB might not be a big need, all are much bigger needs than #2 TE.
A #2 TE wont help out when we still can't run the ball or protect the QB unp the middle or get the snap right.
Coleman and Newman needs to be replaced for the future more than a TE does on this team.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
Manwiththeplan;4205073 said:
not really. he's the 4th best "3rd WR" in the division (Jason Avant, Victor Cruz and Anthony Armstrong). I'm pretty sure if I actually looked up every team he would rank in the bottom 10 or so third WRs. He's doing fine for what we need him to do, but he's not much better than most teams #3 WRs. Remember he was cut by SD, then cut again by us all within a few weeks and no one else was rushing to sign him

Robinson is just as good if not better than Avant, Cruz is no longer NYG #3 Manningham is or atleast Robinson is having a better year than Manningham is. Anthony Armstrong doesn't even come close, 5 catches with 47 yards.

But my question was show me a NFL offense that has 3 good WRs and two good TEs.

The Realist

Reaction score
Now I hope we take a TE in 2 just for the board melt-down factor alone.

Fact: You can take away Miles, Dez and Witten for periods of time.

Delete Bennett and add Hernandez/Graham and I'll show you PB caliber TE #2 on this roster.