KTCK on what Parcells wants in his OLB

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Bob Sturm was just on KTCK, and he said he talked to a Cowboys Scout and he said Parcells wants an up the field pass rusher from the LB spot. He doesn’t want a “complement” to Ware, he wants as many Demarcus Wares as he can get his hands on. He wants to relentlessly attack opposing QB’s.

He went on to say that Carpenter doesn't really seem to be that type in his opinion. He gets the feeling they like Lawson alot.

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
Bob Sturm was just on KTCK, and he said he talked to a Cowboys Scout and he said Parcells wants an up the field pass rusher from the LB spot. He doesn’t want a “complement” to Ware, he wants as many Demarcus Wares as he can get his hands on. He wants to relentlessly attack opposing QB’s.

He went on to say that Carpenter doesn't really seem to be that type in his opinion. He gets the feeling they like Lawson alot.

I take Wimbley!!!

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
With Zimmer's wuss defense?:rolleyes:

gbrittain

Reaction score
What would really be cool is if we get an attack type OLB and actually let him and Ware go after the QB.:rolleyes:

MiStar

Reaction score
I wonder if Ferguson can drop back into zone coverage.

Pretty soon, the only guys on this defense with cover skills will be Newman, Henry and Bradie James.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Parcells said over and over again in press conferences that the team doesn't put consistant enough pressure on the QB to be called a great defense. A lot of fans still cling to 4-3 concepts, and they don't apply. If he really wanted a "complement" to Ware, wouldn't they have put more effort into resigning Fujita?

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
Parcells said over and over again in press conferences that the team doesn't put consistant enough pressure on the QB to be called a great defense. A lot of fans still cling to 4-3 concepts, and they don't apply. If he really wanted a "complement" to Ware, wouldn't they have put more effort into resigning Fujita?
Great stuff Imanroshi.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
Ditto. Further, if we sign Manny, where do you chip? Which side do you zone block to? Offenses will be forced to play us straight up, by doing so will allow us to dictate to them for a change.

gbrittain

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:

Bill Parcells is right about that. Until Dallas can consistently put pressure on the QB, Dallas will not have a great defense.

Dallas D was somewhat solid last year, but the lack of putting pressure on the QB is what separates the contenders from the pretenders.

I know some blame it on Zimmy and some do not. All I know is no matter if it is a personel issue or a coaching issue it has to be fixed or we can expect more teams putting late comebacks on us all year long.

ddh33

Reaction score
I know everyone loves Bobby Carpenter, and if he's the pick, I'll support it completely. I don't think he's going to be the pick though.

When Jerry talks about tweeners, I think he means it. They won't pick a true LB. I think they pick another pass rusher in the mold of Wimbley or Lawson.

odog422

Reaction score
the only problem i have with this phlisophy is this now means we are subjected to another yr of a guy "learning on the job." how many times did i come to this board last year and see people complaining that parcells wouldnt let demarcus just "rush the passer and not be so worried about his run stopping responsibilities..." and thats the weak side of the formation. how are these guys going to handle coverage responsibilities and consistently being run at on the strong side?

i suppose in the long term we benefit, but i also know that now we have to go through the growing pains of another DE > OLB which kind of sucks.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
odog422 said:
the only problem i have with this phlisophy is this now means we are subjected to another yr of a guy "learning on the job." how many times did i come to this board last year and see people complaining that parcells wouldnt let demarcus just "rush the passer and not be so worried about his run stopping responsibilities..." and thats the weak side of the formation. how are these guys going to handle coverage responsibilities and consistently being run at on the strong side

That rookie going through growing pains and learning the job still had 8 sacks, 3 FF and was the best pure pass rusher we've seen in a Cowboy uniform since Haley retired.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
That rookie going through growing pains and learning the job was still the best pure pass rusher we've seen in a Cowboy uniform in 10 years.
No **** it was obvious. Just look at all the attention he was getting, if Ellis or anyone could have stepped up our defense would have been considerably better in generating pressure.

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
A pick of Wimbley or Lawson will turn Roy and company into the best pass coverage secondary in the NFL.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:

Yes....Lawson be there!

rexrobinson

Reaction score
adbutcher said:
No **** it was obvious. Just look at all the attention he was getting, if Ellis or anyone could have stepped up our defense would have been considerably better in generating pressure.

exactly, it got to a point last year some plays were schemed to take Ware out of the play...with another Ware type player on the other side, its pick your poison.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
dmq said:
With Zimmer's wuss defense?:rolleyes:

hmm lets see we ranked 11th in sacks. top 10 defense and ranked 10th or higher in many categories, that with three rookies starting, 3 injured starters and a new defense.

I beg to defer. and we ranked right behind washington in many of those categories, and they have the genius called Williams!!

so if not zimmer, then whom?