KTCK on what Parcells wants in his OLB

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
It's the triple reverse double lutz back hand-spring smokescreen. I saw it coming from a mile away.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
theogt said:
It's the triple reverse double lutz back hand-spring smokescreen. I saw it coming from a mile away.

Rare. Rare indeed.

Kids, don't try that at home.

Or maybe a scout really did come right out and tell some radio station exactly what type of player Bill Parcells wants. What a way to keep your job!

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Rack said:
Rare. Rare indeed.

Kids, don't try that at home.

Or maybe a scout really did come right out and tell some radio station exactly what type of player Bill Parcells wants. What a way to keep your job!
Who knows. It could be information that they've had for awhile. Either way, as another poster pointed out, this isn't the first time it's been stated. Parcells has said it over and over again.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
theogt said:
Who knows. It could be information that they've had for awhile. Either way, as another poster pointed out, this isn't the first time it's been stated. Parcells has said it over and over again.

I've never, before today, read or heard Parcells say "I want as many DeMarcus Wares that I can get my hands on".

That's not Parcells style. It would be giving a player too much praise.

Either way, it can be defined many different ways and it doesn't really narrow down the list much. It takes Greenway and Sims off the list. But as far as "the three", doesn't change anything. They can all get after the passer.

Is it saturday yet?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Rack said:
I've never, before today, read or heard Parcells say "I want as many DeMarcus Wares that I can get my hands on".

That's not Parcells style. It would be giving a player too much praise.

Either way, it can be defined many different ways and it doesn't really narrow down the list much. It takes Greenway and Sims off the list. But as far as "the three", doesn't change anything. They can all get after the passer.

Is it saturday yet?
[checks watch] ****, no.

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
Bob Sturm was just on KTCK, and he said he talked to a Cowboys Scout and he said Parcells wants an up the field pass rusher from the LB spot. He doesn’t want a “complement” to Ware, he wants as many Demarcus Wares as he can get his hands on. He wants to relentlessly attack opposing QB’s.

He went on to say that Carpenter doesn't really seem to be that type in his opinion. He gets the feeling they like Lawson alot.

Everybody already got it figured out who the Cowboys is gonna take...

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Rack said:

That really just doesn't sound like him.

Now if he said "Look, I plan to go to Texaco and buy as many of the player as I can, okay?", then it would be more credible.

At any rate, that was more this Sturm fellow than the scout. That is if this scout actually spilled the beans. I believe Coach Parcells would have this person fired if they truly leaked information.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Alexander said:
That really just doesn't sound like him.

Now if he said "Look, I plan to go to Texaco and buy as many of the player as I can, okay?", then it would be more credible.

At any rate, that was more this Sturm fellow than the scout. That is if this scout actually spilled the beans. I believe Coach Parcells would have this person fired if they truly leaked information.

I agree. Unless that scout was just following orders. ;)

VoR

Reaction score
Alexander said:
I think all of you are overstating this.

Pittsburgh doesn't have two "pass rushing" linebackers these days.

Joey Porter is the rusher. Carlos Emmons was the jack of all trades who could blitz, but his forte is coverage. Then they plugged in Clark Haggans, who is the same type of player.
Same type as Emmons or Porter?
Haggans is a Porter type, hence the 9 sacks.
here's the depth chart by the way:
http://www.nfl.com/teams/depthcharts/PIT

VoR

Reaction score
Rack said:
Sorry, but Haggans is more like Clemmons. Just cuz he got 9 sacks doesn't mean he's the same type of pass rusher as Porter.
Haggans and Porter were both defensive ends in college. I have links to Colorado State to prove it, in fact they started on opposite ends on the D-Line playing together.
Both are around 250.
And who says Lawson can't cover just because he can rush?

VoR

Reaction score
Clark Haggans

College Career

Played defensive end in college after walking-on as a freshman…is physical and aggressive…has very good lateral quickness and agility…is a productive and tenacious pass rusher…is Colorado State's all-time sacks leader…finished 1999 with 87 tackles, 14 tackles for losses and eight sacks…registered 66 tackles, including 14 tackles for losses and 11 sacks as a junior…started every game and recorded 66 tackles (16 for losses) and 11 sacks in 1997…registered 43 tackles, 10 stops for losses and three sacks in 1996…redshirted as a walk-on in 1995…majored in art.

http://www.nflplayers.com/players/player.aspx?id=28888

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
VoR said:
Haggans and Porter were both defensive ends in college. I have links to Colorado State to prove it, in fact they started on opposite ends on the D-Line playing together.
Both are around 250.
And who says Lawson can't cover just because he can rush?

Wow. What does the position they played in college have to do with the player they are now?

And where the hell did the Lawson question come from?

Haggans is a solid all around 3-4 OLB. He's not as good of a pass rusher as Porter.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
VoR said:
Clark Haggans

College Career

Played defensive end in college after walking-on as a freshman…is physical and aggressive…has very good lateral quickness and agility…is a productive and tenacious pass rusher…is Colorado State's all-time sacks leader…finished 1999 with 87 tackles, 14 tackles for losses and eight sacks…registered 66 tackles, including 14 tackles for losses and 11 sacks as a junior…started every game and recorded 66 tackles (16 for losses) and 11 sacks in 1997…registered 43 tackles, 10 stops for losses and three sacks in 1996…redshirted as a walk-on in 1995…majored in art.

http://www.nflplayers.com/players/player.aspx?id=28888

You want me to post a laundry list of college profiles that said one thing, but that player never turned out like the profile said it would?

I bet the profile on Tony Mandarich looked pretty good.

I'm sure Tim Couch's profile was amazing.

Who was that DE the Packers drafted in the first round a few years ago? I bet his profile was impressive.

:rolleyes:

Nothing you posted proves anything either way. No way in hell is Haggans as good a pass rusher as Porter.

VoR

Reaction score
Rack said:
Wow. What does the position they played in college have to do with the player they are now?

Haggans is a solid all around 3-4 OLB. He's not as good of a pass rusher as Porter.
Maybe not as good, not shabby whatsoever.

The Lawson question came from what this post was originally answering as to not having 2 rush OLB's.

Answering, of course, the posts by people claiming Haggans is not a rush LB and that you can't have 2 of those types or 2 former DE's ala' Lawson.

Alexander

Reaction score
Rack said:

And because both were college DEs, it makes Lawson all that much more likely.

I would think you understand this completely by now. It is in the cards, the stars are aligned and the Chosen One will be a Cowboy.:cool:

There are going to be some very disappointed fans around here if Lawson doesn't get drafted by the Cowboys, because many of you have devoted a serious amount of time and energy finding reasons why you believe he will.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
VoR said:

The Lawson question came from what this post was originally answering as to not having 2 rush OLB's.

Answering, of course, the posts by people claiming Haggans is not a rush LB and that you can't have 2 of those types or 2 former DE's ala' Lawson.

Ok, I get annoyed when someone who hasn't been in these daily discussions all the sudden decides to join late, making me have to go and explain the basics all over again, but here goes (short version)...

ANY OLB in the 3-4 has to have SOME pass rush skills. ANY of them.

THIS IS UNDERSTOOD.

So NO KIDDING Haggans has some pass rush skills. If he didn't, he wouldn't be a 3-4 OLB.

And who says Carpenter can't rush, just cuz he can cover and play the run?

He had 8 sacks rushing the Qb PART time. If he rushed the QB as often as Lawson he would of had MORE sacks then Lawson, playing on a LESS talented DL.

Chew on that awhile.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Playing exclusively DE in college and holding your college's all time sack record (the same college that Porter went to) definitely qualifies as having "some pass rush skills".

Kai Parham had more sacks than Carpenter. Is he qualified to be a 3-4 OLB?

VoR

Reaction score
Alexander said:
And because both were college DEs, it makes Lawson all that much more likely.

I would think you understand this completely by now. It is in the cards, the stars are aligned and the Chosen One will be a Cowboy.:cool:

There are going to be some very disappointed fans around here if Lawson doesn't get drafted by the Cowboys, because many of you have devoted a serious amount of time and energy finding reasons why you believe he will.
Or in fact, the people who think Lawson won't be drafted will be very disappointed if he is:rolleyes: .

It doesn't matter who they pick to me if he helps the team. Carpenter would be great.

Alexander

Reaction score
VoR said:

He isn't a "rush" linebacker any more than Carlos Emmons was, he too posted six sacks in his final season with Pittsburgh. Porter is their designated rusher most of the time. Just watch their games and you will see this.

They use a blitz scheme that sends different players. Just to characterize him as a "rush linebacker" isn't accurate.

At any rate, are you prepared to say we will run that type of 3-4 scheme when it hasn't been run anywhere that Coach Parcells has been?