Video: Kurt Warner break: Dak Prescott vs Saints

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
For anyone who didnt watch and is just taking his word for it, this isnt what transpired at all. On the majority of plays discussed the criticism lays at the feet of the playcalling, the blocking or the route running. Dak straight missing a read when he had time to make it was a small minority of our issues.

For anyone who didn’t watch it this guy is talking about 1 or 2 plays and wants to create an entire narrative from it.

Most of this is Warner showing Dak missing his reads.

TWOK11

Reaction score
For anyone who didn’t watch it this guy is talking about 1 or 2 plays and wants to create an entire narrative from it.

Most of this is Warner showing Dak missing his reads.

He showed 16 plays and one was a run, so 15 passing plays

Of the 15 passing plays, only 4 involved Dak having both time and an open read he missed. And on 2 of the 4 plays he still completed a pass for positive yardage. Only 2 of the plays involved him missing a read which resulted in a substantial difference in the outcome of the play, and only 1 would have resulted in a true explosive play.

This tape was a far bigger indictment of our OL and route concepts against the Saints then Dak. The coaching rule of thumb is that a good NFL QB will miss an open primary read one out of every 10 times he drops back. Dak threw the ball 40 times on Thursday.

8FOR!3

Reaction score
Route concepts and OL took an L in this video. The biggest concern out of all of this is how will this effect Dak in the future. Although it is promising when you see guys like Carson Wentz have some success again with a good OL.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
Saints also had a really good run defense or our run offense is really bad which also contributed to the Saints defense being better in against Dak and the pass offense.

Daks played a bad month of football, it didn't begin with the Saints.

88sAndHeartbreak

Reaction score
Hey I’m not the one crying about him needing everything to be optimal around him.

I mean talk about having your cake and eating it too. Let’s make excuses for anything that’s not perfect but also he doesn’t need everything to be optimal. Hilarious.
... what?!? It was YOU that said, made, and or agreed to that statement. Changing the word from "perfect" to "optimal" won't make you less wrong.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
That's the first time I saw the first play of the game from the all-22. I just watched on mute.

The game thread went wild that he didn't run, but watching it again, I still feel like the throw was fine. Lamb had posted up on the DB and had the angle, ball was delivered. Great coverage, but should have been caught IMO and it was more yards than Dak could have run for.

If you want to win in this league you have to have a "small ball" game. Late in the season outdoors you are going to see a lot of 2 high looks. You have to dink and dunk, and take what the defence gives you until they crack and give you your shot down the field.

johneric8

Reaction score
I think you know the point I was making. You said Dak played well. There is nothing to back up your observation.
Considering the pass protection and his numbers he played good .. .made some amazing throws as well.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Of the 15 passing plays, only 4 involved Dak having both time and an open read he missed. And on 2 of the 4 plays he still completed a pass for positive yardage. Only 2 of the plays involved him missing a read which resulted in a substantial difference in the outcome of the play, and only 1 would have resulted in a true explosive play.

This tape was a far bigger indictment of our OL and route concepts against the Saints then Dak. The coaching rule of thumb is that a good NFL QB will miss an open primary read one out of every 10 times he drops back. Dak threw the ball 40 times on Thursday.

@CATCH17 wont respond to well thought out posts like this because he can't lie and tell half-truths around the topic.

Eanwen

Reaction score

And that’s just without Amari Cooper..

Rodgers 10-0 without Adams..

Chiefs 4-1 without Tyreek.

Cowboys 1-0 without Dak and a healthy roster

I actually agree that Dak looks much better with Cooper on the field, but who's comparing him to Adams and Hill? Even before he joined the Cowboys no one put Cooper in their top 10; I saw one had him in the top 15.
As to the original video, watching it live I thought Dak didn't set his feet on some throws and looked like he was impatient but the two times he actually went deep he got pressure, threw one pick and almost threw another. It's hard for me to judge really.

All I know is that the offense has looked really poor for the past month or so. There's not much Dak can do about the running game or protection but there are things he can control.

CWR

Reaction score

Yeah it was one sided for sure. Warner didn't bother to show any of Daks positive plays and the reads he made on those.

It's easy to criticize anyone when you only post their errors. That said, Dak didn't have a good game. His first half was good considering, but the second half was a mess on offense.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
When you click post reply did you think this was clever?

Mahomes is a Super Bowl champion that has been a 1 man army since he stepped on the football field.

You guys like to find a moment or 2 of imperfection with players like Mahomes and paint with this broad brush a narrative that is the opposite of their entire career.
Mean Mr. Hail Mary. Is that what you mean. Patrick Mahomes. Most overrated quarterback ever. That doesn’t mean he’s not good it just means he’s not Tom Brady. I’d actually take Prescott. Yeah. There’s so many more reasons

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Mean Mr. Hail Mary. Is that what you mean. Patrick Mahomes. Most overrated quarterback ever. That doesn’t mean he’s not good it just means he’s not Tom Brady. I’d actually take Prescott. Yeah. There’s so many more reasons
The reason you'd take Prescott over Mahomes? You're a blind Cowboys fan.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I didn't watch the video you posted yet, but I watched the entire saints game again last night and actually came away very impressed with how Dak played! It really reminded me how it's a team game, because it was a good team win without too much flash with the exceptions of the interceptions... The Saints are a good defense and were desperate so it was a nice win in Saints territory... Dak made some great throws in the game, but what stood out to me was just a lack of creativity of Kellen Moore in the sense of attacking weaknesses.. I'm also impressed our team held it together with so many coaches missing, so overall I think many on this forum are underrating Dak's performance, and if they go back and watch again without emotion they will see that.

I heard some other analysts basically say this same thing. If you break it all down, Dak played well with what he needed to do. Especially without the run game, as it was shut down.
But IMO that was mostly due to Moore snd his stubbornness to keep trying the middle.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I heard some other analysts basically say this same thing. If you break it all down, Dak played well with what he needed to do. Especially without the run game, as it was shut down.
But IMO that was mostly due to Moore snd his stubbornness to keep trying the middle.
I think the Oline has been the weak link. They need to take a deep dive into how that's been working imo.

HanD

Reaction score

exactly what i got from it. not only does the video show some poor play calling/design but OL having issues which leads to dak having happy feet. Beyond that, we are talking about 15 plays out of 40 throws. to make a conclusion that dak has problems reading defenses when kurt is specifically diagnosing problem plays is agenda driven.