Kyle Pitts vs Patrick Surtain: Who SHOULD be the Pick | Shan & RJ

morasp

Reaction score
Pitts won't be there anyway but it's a fun discussion. NFL.com thinks Surtain would be a lock down corner and they do have Pitts ranked higher. Mike Tannenbaum (sp) is right about the defense it's pretty much what I said the other day in the draft analysis.

"Lockdown, press-man cornerback with elite size, length and talent to match up with any brand of receiver from any place on the field."

Last edited:

JBS

Reaction score
I'm a big ps2 fan. But it doesn't make sense to pass on Pitts. For multiple reasons. First and foremost, Pitts has a hall of fame level ceiling, it's just outright dumb to pass on that. Secondly, the talent in this draft aligns perfectly for Dallas to still land a damn good CB with their second round pick. I don't expect Pitts to be available at 10, but if he is, he's the pick.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Im taking Pitts is both are available

Surtain isnt fixing this defense when we are still weak up the middle. We have crappy safeties, LBs, and DTs
So then you want to add to the offense so you can cry about Dak not winning games when our defense is getting gouged for 40 plus points a game again? Makes sense. :rolleyes:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pitts won't be there anyway but it's a fun discussion. NFL.com thinks Surtain would be a lock down corner and they do have Pitts ranked higher. Mike Tannenbaum (sp) is right about the defense it's pretty much what I said the other day in the draft analysis.

"Lockdown, press-man cornerback with elite size, length and talent to match up with any brand of receiver from any place on the field."

I think this write up sums all things Surtain quite well:

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/sp...as-cowboys-draft-patrick-surtain-pick-10/amp/

I’ve heard several people say he’s a ‘high ceiling, high floor’ prospect. That’s just what I want from pick #10.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
You don’t fix the defense then you are paying zeke $15m a year to carry the ball 10 times a game. We will play from behind all year.

quickccc

Reaction score
just what the Cowboys thought when thy passed on Moss.

Greg Ellis over Randy Moss 2.0

A guy that's considered a once in a lifetime generation blue chip TE over a red chip CB that's not even a top 5-8 overall CB prospect.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Greg Ellis over Randy Moss 2.0

A guy that's considered a once in a lifetime generation blue chip TE over a red chip CB that's not even a top 5-8 overall CB prospect.

I’m not understanding the descriptive terms being applied to the two players here? Where’s the basis for them?

:huh:

Brooksey

Reaction score
I really like Pitts and hate the idea of him going to NY or Philly so I pick him or trade out keeping him out of the division

He won't be there IMO and we go BPA-positional CB or LT

morasp

Reaction score
Pitts is graded 7.19 and Surtain is 7.02 which is considered pro bowl talent. The only player in the draft with a perennial all pro grade is Lawrence. If Surtain and Pitts are there and they take Pitts at least they got the better player but you aren't going to fix the defense with day two and day three picks no matter how well they draft so say hello a multi year rebuild on defense. But to be honest even if they take Surtain it will still probably be a multi year proposition.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
just what the Cowboys thought when thy passed on Moss.
Surtain is closer to Pitts then Ellis was to Moss. S2 would make more of an impact on the Cowboys then Pitts because we already have one of the best receiving cores in the league but have one of the worst secondaries.

Speaking of Randy Moss. Can you imagine him and Michael Irvin playing together in the late 90s. Frightening how good our offense would have been.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pitts is graded 7.19 and Surtain is 7.02 which is considered pro bowl talent. The only player in the draft with a perennial all pro grade is Lawrence. If Surtain and Pitts are there and they take Pitts at least they got the better player but you aren't going to fix the defense with day two and day three picks no matter how well they draft so say hello a multi year rebuild on defense. But to be honest even if they take Surtain it will still probably be a multi year proposition.

I look at it this way. I’ve done a ton of mock drafts now, some where Pitts was actually available, and I took him. But I found myself always chasing and trying to make up for it the rest of the way.

Conversely, when I take the corner or trade down, I’m not chasing after the TE position. That’s what it comes down to for me, not having to ‘make up ground’ for an indulgent 1st pick.