Twitter: La’el Collins contract re-worked

diefree666

Reaction score
What are your guys' thoughts on Collins? Didn't realize he has that big of a cap hit for the next two seasons.

Does he have trade value and could he be a candidate to be traded to clear cap room?
uh, how long have you been a fan of the Boys? Because that post seems to indicate the time is measured in minutes

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Looks like a whole bunch of WHATEVER to me.
PFR says the check was for 500k but that still doesn't make any sense

His whole 4.3m base salary is guaranteed meaning the max of 3.6m should be paid as a signing bonus to create 1.8m in space

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Jerry needed booze money for this weekend...:rolleyes: Gotta drink away the misery of another Super Bowl without the Cowboys being in it. :(

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Numbers in the article have to be wrong. Can't see why they would rework a contract just to spread 150K over 2 years. That's pocket change.

I was thinking the same thing. Never seen a move like this for so little.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
Maybe Collins needed some cash and Jerry helped him out by writing him a 150,000 check.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
This is not about cap space, lol.
This is basically a a favor to a player. Cut him a check today instead of making him wait on game checks.
Yup. Collins went to the team light on cash for something and the team hooked him up.

coult44

Reaction score
I’m gonna trust the cap experts on this one until proven otherwise...

“Obviously $75,000 is not going to give the Cowboys the space they need to chase a player like Sammy Watkins or Jarvis Landry at wide receiver. But every little bit counts, and the Cowboys wouldn't have created extra space if they didn't have a plan for it. The Cowboys made this move for a reason. We'll find out what that reason is soon.”

I certainly don’t believe it had anything to do with Collins desperate for cash.

If we sign a bottom tier guy like Sammy Watkins I will know JJ has lost his marbles. I have no idea why this guy is considered more than a #3. He was the 4th best in the Rams team this year. Watch the playoff game and you'd think he was in his way out of the NFL.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
I’m gonna trust the cap experts on this one until proven otherwise...

“Obviously $75,000 is not going to give the Cowboys the space they need to chase a player like Sammy Watkins or Jarvis Landry at wide receiver. But every little bit counts, and the Cowboys wouldn't have created extra space if they didn't have a plan for it. The Cowboys made this move for a reason. We'll find out what that reason is soon.”

I certainly don’t believe it had anything to do with Collins desperate for cash.
Jerry needed another months supply of booze he was almost out

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
He's grossed $5M in 2017 so why he would suddenly need $150k now would be/should be a concern.

Weird move which hopefully means nothing.
Is this a serious question?

Why does an athlete who has made a ton of money need additional cash?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Yup. Collins went to the team light on cash for something and the team hooked him up.
Likely the team and agent have been talking long term deal already.
Collins agent probably asked for the check and they said sure, costs us nothing to this this.
Collins proboably slots in about 8m per year at RT. That's if he doesn't perform at a higher level there which is always possible.

Keep in mind Collins chose Dallas when he could have went anywhere.

diefree666

Reaction score
Likely the team and agent have been talking long term deal already.
Collins agent probably asked for the check and they said sure, costs us nothing to this this.
Collins proboably slots in about 8m per year at RT. That's if he doesn't perform at a higher level there which is always possible.

Keep in mind Collins chose Dallas when he could have went anywhere.
its pretty much a sure bet that Jerry made some verbal promises to Lael before he signed here. That he would get a shot at RT and so on.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If we sign a bottom tier guy like Sammy Watkins I will know JJ has lost his marbles. I have no idea why this guy is considered more than a #3. He was the 4th best in the Rams team this year. Watch the playoff game and you'd think he was in his way out of the NFL.
Still better than the Cowboys WRs.