Twitter: La’el Collins contract re-worked

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Likely the team and agent have been talking long term deal already.
Collins agent probably asked for the check and they said sure, costs us nothing to this this.
Collins proboably slots in about 8m per year at RT. That's if he doesn't perform at a higher level there which is always possible.

Keep in mind Collins chose Dallas when he could have went anywhere.
La'El Collins signed a two year, $15.4 million contract extension with the Cowboys on July 26, 2017. Collins received a $4 million signing bonus.

He is already at 7.7M per.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If we sign a bottom tier guy like Sammy Watkins I will know JJ has lost his marbles. I have no idea why this guy is considered more than a #3. He was the 4th best in the Rams team this year. Watch the playoff game and you'd think he was in his way out of the NFL.
You are overlooking the Cowboys Rule. "Any player or coach will immediately become better and achieve his true potential once becoming a Cowboy". The proof is right there for all to see. Roy Williams, Hardy, and most recently Paea and Carroll.

BTW, rule #2. "Any player getting a raise in pay will immediately become a better player".

Words to live by, coult.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
La'El Collins signed a two year, $15.4 million contract extension with the Cowboys on July 26, 2017. Collins received a $4 million signing bonus.

He is already at 7.7M per.
Correct. And he likely gets a 4-5 year extension deal at 8 to 8.5M per year. With half or more GTD.
Right now only 3 RT surpass 8MM.
But his 2 year extension GTD his 2018 salary so this changes nothing for Dallas to convert base to bonus.
And he was only handed 4M in SB at the time of extension which is very small.

His deal runs this 2018 season and next. I doubt Dallas wants him on the open market and I'd suggest he wants a 10M check sooner rather than later.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
You are overlooking the Cowboys Rule. "Any player or coach will immediately become better and achieve his true potential once becoming a Cowboy". The proof is right there for all to see. Roy Williams, Hardy, and most recently Paea and Carroll.

BTW, rule #2. "Any player getting a raise in pay will immediately become a better player".

Words to live by, coult.
Would have zero issue with Sammy Watkins if price was right.
Key to your lists is what you pay for a guy.
Paea hurt us exactly none. RW11 hurt us badly because we traded for and paid him big money.
Hardy was essentially a draw because he got paid very well but only on a per game basis.

Cousins is a definite no go. 20+M long term with much GTD for that guy? LOL. Just no. Follow your own rules.

conner01

Reaction score
Would have zero issue with Sammy Watkins if price was right.
Key to your lists is what you pay for a guy.
Paea hurt us exactly none. RW11 hurt us badly because we traded for and paid him big money.
Hardy was essentially a draw because he got paid very well but only on a per game basis.

Cousins is a definite no go. 20+M long term with much GTD for that guy? LOL. Just no. Follow your own rules.
I could see Watkins maybe not getting big offers and being able to sign him

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Numbers in the article have to be wrong. Can't see why they would rework a contract just to spread 150K over 2 years. That's pocket change.

The fact he's fooling around with 150K in a multi-billion dollar industry tells all you need to know about Stephen Jones. Ever wonder why OUR free agents are always bottom feeders?

Kaiser

Reaction score
It amazes me that people believe everything that pops up on the internet.

This entire thread is hilarious. It looks like the team was happy with Collins for whatever reason and gave him a small bonus that wasn't written in this contract. Which on CBZ translates into "Jason Garrett is developing nuclear weapons for North Korea".

Kaiser

Reaction score
The fact he's fooling around with 150K in a multi-billion dollar industry tells all you need to know about Stephen Jones. Ever wonder why OUR free agents are always bottom feeders?

Actually the cause and effect is that we don't lose our inhouse players to free agency the way some teams do.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
This entire thread is hilarious. It looks like the team was happy with Collins for whatever reason and gave him a small bonus that wasn't written in this contract. Which on CBZ translates into "Jason Garrett is developing nuclear weapons for North Korea".
LCollins should be due over 300k from the NFL Performance Pay pool for under-drafted players

Dak and ABrown and Hitchens should also get large bonuses

This usually comes in early March and doesn't count against anyone's cap

Kaiser

Reaction score
LCollins should be due over 300k from the NFL Performance Pay pool for under-drafted players

Its definitely unusual, but it looks like he did something like offseason workouts that they wanted to give him a pat-on-the-back bonus for and this was the way they did it. At best its neutral, I don't get extrapolating this into some broad indictment of the front office.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Correct. And he likely gets a 4-5 year extension deal at 8 to 8.5M per year. With half or more GTD.
Right now only 3 RT surpass 8MM.
But his 2 year extension GTD his 2018 salary so this changes nothing for Dallas to convert base to bonus.
And he was only handed 4M in SB at the time of extension which is very small.

His deal runs this 2018 season and next. I doubt Dallas wants him on the open market and I'd suggest he wants a 10M check sooner rather than later.

That two year extension was about giving him the money he would have gotten as a first round pick.

That was Jerry doing right by Collins.

I doubt we see an extension this year but if he plays like he did last year, he's certainly in line for a big deal

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
La'el just needed a little extra earnest money for his down payment...

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
That two year extension was about giving him the money he would have gotten as a first round pick.

I doubt we see an extension this year but if he plays like he did last year, he's certainly in line for a big deal
You are right......there is no hurry to extend him

He gets 2m added to his base salary of 6.5m for 2019 if he plays 70% of the snaps this year

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

Absolutely.
But now the extension would be about locking him up long term.
They'd much rather lock him up at current 8-8.5MM going rate for solid RTs then wait and have him make Pro Bowl next year and lock him up in final year of deal needing 10M+ per year.
Can extend with virtually no additional cap cost.