Signed by Cowboys La’el Collins Signs New 5 Year Contract

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
4 olinemen with double digit contracts? And with the potential for Williams to move to RT, and McGovern to LG?

I'm a big fan of investing in the oline, but we are tops in the league in oline spending and could have started bringing that down. I wonder if this is saying something about Tyron's health.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Unexpected. Well....McGovern will either provide legitimate competition to Williams next year or provide excellent depth as a backup interior OL.

Having McGovern and Williams available to take LG and RT makes this a very questionable signing. Can't afford to give a starter free agent money when a replacement on his rookie deal is available on the bench. Only makes sense if they think Tyron is running out of gas.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A breakdown of La’el Collins’ six-year, $58.5 million contract with the Cowboys: Signing bonus - $9 million 2019 base salary - $1.016 million 2020 base salary – $6.45 million ($3.5 million option bonus due fifth day of league year) 2021 base salary - $8.55 million 2022 base salary - $10 million 2023 base salary - $10 million 2024 base salary - $10 million Note: His 2021 base salary becomes fully guaranteed on the fifth day of the league year, and $6.483 of his 2022 base salary becomes fully guaranteed on the fifth day of that league year.

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
We have too much money invested in one unit. They haven't even played close to the best o line in football the last 2 seasons and yet are the most expensive O line in the NFL. I know Jerry knows business, but this is not a good return on your investment.

And now we're looking to pay Dak, Zeke, and Cooper. We're heading toward the offense taking 70% of the cap.

It's not just spending too much, it's spending too much when we have rookie contract alternatives on the bench.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Solid players don't make Top 3 money at their position. Well normally they don't. But this is Dallas, so anything is possible when it comes to contracts.

Maybe Jerry wants to hang onto and further validate his Genius Jerry win of snagging Collins when he was an UDFA. Arguably similar deal with Jaylon, although I'm happy about that signing.

Any other Genius Jerry guys to sign? Devin Smith?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Williams is a swing tackle for this team, IMO. Heck, he's really a LT and I've felt that way from the day we drafted him. He will have to make some strides this year to win a long term spot at Guard. I just don't see that but who knows?

Great feet, poor core power. T.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I would not worry about that. There's still the chance he breaks out like Gurode did 15 years ago. Plus, that money is not being taken out of your bank account.

Taken out of the cap. The amount we're putting into the offense will get crazy with Dak, Cooper, and Zeke still coming.

Sydla

Reaction score
If that's the case, then it saved us about $5 million against the cap this year.

Yeah, Breer tweeted something about his first year pay being in excess of $11MM compared to his pay of $6.6MM under his old deal.

But Breer must have meant the $9MM in signing bonus and then the first year salary. I think that's where the confusion came.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Yeah, Breer tweeted something about his first year pay being in excess of $11MM compared to his pay of $6.6MM under his old deal.

But Breer must have meant the $9MM in signing bonus and then the first year salary. I think that's where the confusion came.

I don't know what the total guaranteed is, but him only receiving a $9 million bonus should make this a good deal for the team and commensurate with his talent level, not really locking Dallas into a long-term commitment if it wants to eat the contract in a couple of years.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Well damn. We wouldn't get out from La'el until after year 3, and even then we'd still have $5M dead cap. He will be for the long haul boys and girls.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Looks like its actually a 3 year deal with option for 3 more seasons after that. After 2021 season the cap savings is higher than dead money if they release him.
But there's still $5.7M of dead money in 2021. Just because the savings > dead money doesnt make it a team option.

So it's actually a four year deal, fourth year 1/2 guaranteed with team options after.

Manster68

Reaction score
Taken out of the cap. The amount we're putting into the offense will get crazy with Dak, Cooper, and Zeke still coming.
Yes, and they still signed Lawrence and Jaylon Smith. That group in the front office is doing a fabulous job managing the cap, Free agency and the draft. Again, I'm not worried about it.

Wood

Reaction score
Well damn. We wouldn't get out from La'el until after year 3, and even then we'd still have $5M dead cap. He will be for the long haul boys and girls.

Dallas would save $1 million after 2021 season if they released him. Basically they need him to stay healthy for next 3 seasons.

Wood

Reaction score
But there's still $5.7M of dead money in 2021. Just because the savings > dead money doesnt make it a team option.

So it's actually a four year deal, fourth year 1/2 guaranteed with team options after.

I am still trying to figure out how $35 mill guaranteed is allotted. I see 7.5 mill in salary & 14 mill in signing bonus. There is still 13.5 mill in guaranteed I don't see.

gmoney112

Reaction score
I am still trying to figure out how $35 mill guaranteed is allotted. I see 7.5 mill in salary & 14 mill in signing bonus. There is still 13.5 mill in guaranteed I don't see.

New contract structures usually guarantee the first 2 year salaries, with a roster bonus or portion of the 3rd year guaranteed on a certain day.