Signed by Cowboys La’el Collins Signs New 5 Year Contract

DFWJC

Reaction score
Your Examples?

Here are a few of mine

• Was Tyron Smith top 5 at his position when they signed him? Yes...most definitely he was
  • Was Zack Martin top 5 at his position when they signed him? Yes.
  • Was Travis Frederick top 5 at his position when they signed him? Yes.
  • Is Jaylon Smith one the more promising young Linebackers going forwartd? Yes
  • Is Zeke a Top 5 RB that will be paid as such? Yes
  • Was Collins--is not top 5--paid non top 5 money? Yes, paid well but 10/yr not top 5 money

QB is a whole other issue, because the number goes up very year so much that it's a moving target. But I agree that Dak is nowhere close to being a top 5 QB. But whoever gets signed the most recently will be overpaid for a year or two relative tot he pack.

visionary

Reaction score
At what point do you stop heaping cash into the OL? The now have the largest LT contract on their roster, the largest C contract on their roster, the largest OG contract on their roster and now the third largest RT contract.

Seems kind of excessive, right?

Is Collins worth it, potentially at the expense of say Byron Jones?

What these 2 deals tell me is that the NFL revenue is about to go up a ton along with the salary cap and players will be demanding a lot more

Expect Dak and Coop to be done this year (though i think Coop wants to test FA)

coult44

Reaction score
What these 2 deals tell me is that the NFL revenue is about to go up a ton along with the salary cap and players will be demanding a lot more

Expect Dak and Coop to be done this year (though i think Coop wants to test FA)

This is basically what JJ said this morning. Every Monday for the past few months he’s been in Chicago I’m negotiations with the players union. He said that the rev is going up and the players will be getting more.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
What side business does Collins own that we can look forward to becoming a corporate partner of the Cowboys?

Rayman70

Reaction score
I BET we see 2 more contracts get done before the Gents game.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I agree..Collins I thought was a goner after the season. Dunno how the hell we are doing it, but we are signing vital cogs to the team. Made my day actually. LOVE COLLINS...he isn't maybe the best RT in the league,but hes top 10. Good signing. Still would love to move him to LG and flip Williams over to RT, where he is better suited.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I wonder if they want to re-sign Jones or Brown or are they content on letting them walk
at this point, the way we are starting to ink deals, I wouldn't be shocked if we find a way to sign,keep them all.

Sydla

Reaction score
Your Examples?

Here are a few of mine

• Was Tyron Smith top 5 at his position when they signed him? Yes...most definitely he was
  • Was Zack Martin top 5 at his position when they signed him? Yes.
  • Was Travis Frederick top 5 at his position when they signed him? Yes.
  • Is Jaylon Smith one the more promising young Linebackers going forwartd? Yes
  • Is Zeke a Top 5 RB that will be paid as such? Yes
  • Was Collins--is not top 5--paid non top 5 money? Yes, paid well but 10/yr not top 5 money

QB is a whole other issue, because the number goes up very year so much that it's a moving target. But I agree that Dak is nowhere close to being a top 5 QB. But whoever gets signed the most recently will be overpaid for a year or two relative tot he pack.

One quibble.

Collins at $10MM a year is top 5 RT money. His practical guarantee of $35MM ranks 3rd. His initial guarantee of close to $20MM in 4th.

He's being paid like a Top 5 RT. His contract is a tick below that of Lane Johnson.......... who is a much better RT.

Rayman70

Reaction score
One quibble.

Collins at $10MM a year is top 5 RT money. His practical guarantee of $35MM ranks 3rd. His initial guarantee of close to $20MM in 4th.

He's being paid like a Top 5 RT. His contract is a tick below that of Lane Johnson.......... who is a much better RT.
hey...the dude is young and has improved. I have no issues with this deal. I think he is a nasty olineman that no one wants to tango with. That said, he is better suited to play LG. Who knows, maybe that's the plan?..

dckid

Reaction score
One quibble.

Did we just overpay for Collins? Don't understand the full details of this deal.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
At what point do you stop heaping cash into the OL? The now have the largest LT contract on their roster, the largest C contract on their roster, the largest OG contract on their roster and now the third largest RT contract.

Seems kind of excessive, right?

Is Collins worth it, potentially at the expense of say Byron Jones?

Well, I believe that Collins is going to be a very good player for us, going forward. Having said this, I don't think you can point to this deal and say it costs us player x, per say. If anything, this deal was done because it was a way to free up cap. If we are losing a quality player, it's because of the Zeke deal IMO.

Zordon

Reaction score
Good deal. I like Collins. Hope he improves a bit but still a good deal for both sides. I know he loves living in Dallas and is close with Dak and his oline peers.