Signed by Cowboys La’el Collins Signs New 5 Year Contract

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Surprised-montage.gif

It's not even 9:30 EST and you've already won the internet for the day, congrats!
:thumbup:

Sydla

Reaction score
Super happy with this one. He's an underrated player at a position which has proved to be one of the hardest to fill in the NFL.

He's a pretty average RT. He struggles in pass protection but decent in run blocking.

I have to see the nitty gritty of the contract but frankly, I am not sure this signing makes much sense at all. Especially if it eats up space that could go to a guy like Byron Jones or Maliek Collins, who are both better and more important players IMO.

Sydla

Reaction score

Yep, it's shocking. Collins was a clear cut case of a guy that they could let walk because he wasn't great, would save them some money under the cap and they could likely find a cheaper replacement.

And yet they are now, reportedly, going to pay him like a Top 5 RT.

I never understand the thought processes of this front office. But then again, they haven't won squat in two decades so smart decisions doesn't seem to fit with them anyway.

Bigdog

Reaction score
I am shocked at this. I think his best position is guard though and not RT. Would love to see him sandwich in between Smith and Frederick and put Connor out at RT and see what he got. Don’t know if they did this in practice or not but it would be interesting to see how it works out.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
I am shocked at this. I think his best position is guard though and not RT. Would love to see him sandwich in between Smith and Frederick and put Connor out at RT and see what he got. Don’t know if they did this in practice or not but it would be interesting to see how it works out.

That is the position I would to see him at.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Yep, it's shocking. Collins was a clear cut case of a guy that they could let walk because he wasn't great, would save them some money under the cap and they could likely find a cheaper replacement.

And yet they are now, reportedly, going to pay him like a Top 5 RT.

I never understand the thought processes of this front office. But then again, they haven't won squat in two decades so smart decisions doesn't seem to fit with them anyway.

I think this one had more to do with team chemistry then it did La'el Collins ability and smart cap management.

I think La'el is good buddies with Dak and Zeke as well as the rest of the Oline. Plus Jerry probably made promises to him when they talked him into signing here.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
I'm not sure how I feel about this. I was thinking that Mcgovern was a really smart pick that would allows us to let Collins walk and save some cap space. Now, I really don't know about that pick. Unless they're out on the other Conner, he doesn't seems to have a startling spot.

Carson

Reaction score
Now to adjust the draft boards and scratch out RT

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I was thinking that Mcgovern was a really smart pick that would allows us to let Collins walk and save some cap space. Now, I really don't know about that pick. Unless they're out on the other Conner, he doesn't seems to have a startling spot.

It’s strange. I don’t think Dallas even knows what to do with him. They talked to him maybe one time before the draft lol

quickccc

Reaction score
I thought the norm with such as per Stephen Jones, is not to re-sign and overpay for average players - and Lael has been an average playing player at this point of his career.
That's why I tend to believe something is up and happening behind the scenes, something has to have changed the game plan of the OL in near future.